2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs Opticoat 2.0

09-02-2014, 02:27 PM   #1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i xDrive

Opticoat 2.0

These are before and after pics. The before pics is a few months ago when I picked up my car. It was waxed and detailed so it was shinier than it should be. The after pic is with Opticoat 2.0 only.

I used the following equipment and supplies:

Opticoat 2.0
Optimum no rinse(smells great)
Optimum Power Clean(very strong and make sure you don't sniff too much of this stuff)
Hyper Polish Spray(wipe off easier than other polish)
Chemical Guys medium cutting, heavy polish and light polishing foam hex pads
Porter Cable 7424XP
Vibrawipe MF cloth

To fix some deep clearcoat scratches, I used Duplicolor SFSS100 Clear Scratch Seal Pen and BMW paint & clearcoat correction paint.

Summary: Prep work takes forever! but that was expected. Opticoat is extremely easy to apply. When you see dark spots after application, just spread around with the applicator and watch it disappear. If it doesn't then just do a light wipe with a clean MF towel. There was enough in one syringe for 2 cars. I did it for my 2014 Mazda 3 2.5S GT as well. I was able to do everything including all glass and lights of both cars. The only thing I didn't do was my BMW's wheels. Not because there wasn't enough but because after 10 hours, I had enough and went to get drunk instead.

Both cars beads water amazingly well. The usual stuff that tends to stick on the paint with pollen does not stick anymore. It is easily wiped off now. It beads water extremely well in the rain. I didn't even use the wipers. I have not noticed any additional road chips from highway drives. Bugs are easily hosed and wiped off unlike before. Bird poop does not burn the paint immediately and easier to wipe off.

Aesthetically, there's a lot more gloss and the blue seems to be bluer. Not sure if the bluer part is because of Opticoat or because I polished my car. I have no used the Optimum instant detailer to give it more pop. I might next weekend.
Attached Images

Last edited by 493263; 09-02-2014 at 02:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 07:23 AM   #2
eve-slow
Private
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, E90 335i & 6.7 F250

Nice. Did you do any type of decontamination prior to polish? The instant detailer shouldn't give you any more pop, unless your paint is dusty/dirty which in that case I wouldn't use it. Washing is easier and safer.
      09-18-2014, 10:19 AM   #3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by eve-slow View Post
Nice. Did you do any type of decontamination prior to polish? The instant detailer shouldn't give you any more pop, unless your paint is dusty/dirty which in that case I wouldn't use it. Washing is easier and safer.
Yes, I polished with hyper polish and wiped it off per instruction. The instant detailer added afterwards gives it a little more gloss. I don't think I will ever use it again either. I find that just washing it weekly with ONR does the job. Any extra gloss with instant detailer is gone pretty quickly with a couple days of daily driving in DC.
Appreciate 0