2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding Aftermarket speakers

10-30-2014, 09:39 PM   #1
TJBentley
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 528xdrive

Aftermarket speakers

I'm debating aftermarket solutions at the moment and as the current BSW promotion does sound tempting, I'm not quite sure it is what I am looking for in terms of volume. My question is how hard would it be when I am ready to put back the factory speakers after I let my installer splice the wires of the factory system? Would I need brand new wiring to re connect old speakers or should I be safe? If this is a dumb question im sorry I'm a noob
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2014, 11:42 AM   #2
CAF10
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10

I wouldn't let the installer to splice the wire, there are sources including myself that offer PNP pigtail to connect to factory harness and spacers for aftermarket speakers. If you goes with BSW then it's a PNP solution. In both cases, it is fully reversible to OEM setup at anytime without hacking up factory wiring harness. IMHO, the factory harness is good enough for SQ improvement purposes, unless you are going for maximum SPL, then you would need to replace them with thicker wires.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-31-2014, 06:51 PM   #3
TJBentley
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 528xdrive

Okay makes sense. I was going for SPL as well as increased SQ. I'm leaning toward two cdt audio cl 42sl in the front and two jl audio 400cm in the rear powered by a 4 channel amp. I'm hoping that would work. I'm also adding two 12" subs in the trunk powered by another 1000 watt rms amp. I would actually prefer going the BSW retrofit route if those speakers could reach about 75-100 watts rms each but BSW does not provide specs on their speakers and I would hate to blow them out. Baby steps... Little by little, but I will get there somehow someway lol
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2014, 09:12 PM   #4
RPLB530
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 528i xdrive

There is no wire splicing at all with the BSW system and it is well worth your time and money - do it. Every connection is plug and play and the quality of their products is excellent.
Appreciate 0