2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs How many F10 owners let your dealership do the first service job (wax/wash) ?

10-27-2010, 06:17 PM   #1
CarBrain
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mercedes GL 450

How many F10 owners let your dealership do the first service job (wax/wash) ?

I am assuming that when the dealership first receive your brand new car at the port, they will check it out throughly then have your car serviced for free which include washing and waxing.

Someone had told me that this is not a good idea since it may be done by (not sure if this is true) someone working with minimum wage and can worsen the protective film/shining luster of the brand new car.

So how many people are willing to let your dealership wash and wax your car and do not mind at all?
      10-27-2010, 06:57 PM   #2
ibimmer954
Major
Rep
Drives: '23 i4 M50, '15 M3, '18 911

Garage List
I let them do whatever it is they did. No serious problems with the paint... it looked great. But I spent some time detailing the car and adding a sealant after I got it. I can see needing to do a little light polishing in a couple months. Some light swirling is starting to form. I haven't clayed the car yet.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2010, 07:12 PM   #3
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Going by popular opinion, I declined the UK dealer £300 seal/protect option.
Instead I thoroughly washed the car and applied two coats of Werkstat Acrylic Jett - £16 a bottle, still got half left over and the car looks great.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2010, 07:44 PM   #4
ibimmer954
Major
Rep

Garage List
Good point. To clarify: don't you dare get the dealer-offered "paint protection" package. I think they offered it to me for like $400. You can get a nice paint sealant (that you can use for quite a while) for $50 (or less) and spray-on Scotchguard for like $10 a bottle.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2010, 09:07 PM   #5
CarBrain
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mercedes GL 450

I am not refering to any "paint protection" package. It is just the regular thing that they do to make the car nice and clean and sparkly looking when you are ready to take the car home for the first time.
      10-28-2010, 01:45 AM   #6
ibimmer954
Major
Rep

Garage List
I see we're both from the San Diego area... I got my car from BMW Encinitas. They did an excellent job preparing it. Not sure about the other dealers. Theoretically, they should do a great job prep-ing it for you. But every once in a while, there's a total screw-up as documented on the various car detailing forums I follow. Generally the regional VDC are the ones prep-ing the car. And since that's all they do, I trust they do an excellent job. Your only problem would be if the dealer lets a 17 year old intern do a hack job on your car.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 03:52 AM   #7
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Mine is coming with 5 years free servicing, so they can have it BUT NO washing of the Car please.
      10-28-2010, 12:28 PM   #8
Jimefam
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 550I Msport

I was at the dealer two weeks ago and saw a brand new 750I that was all prepped to be delivered to its new owner and had swirl marks all over! I'm doing PCD so I guess i'll have to let them clean it and wax it but I will be inspecting it closely because they can do a poor job occasionally.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 12:53 PM   #9
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Mine is going into the body shop before I take delivery, as the prep guys are crap, but the body shop has a great reputation in the UK, the after sales manager has assured me the car will be GREAT when I go get it.
      11-11-2010, 07:30 PM   #10
ICALL
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i Carbon Black M Sport

A dealer detail will definitely result in swirl marks. Perhaps not very noticable to you initially, but overtime, it will appear your car is covered in spider webs.

Either hire a professional to do an initial prep for around $200-$300 or learn to do it yourself.

My 2009 white 550i has swirl marks, but due to the light color, they're not noticeable.

I'm expecting delivery of a 2011 carbon black 550i. There are notes on my order not to prep/wash the car when received and I've threatened the salesman with bodily harm if its "clean" when I get there.

Search here for new car prep or try www.autopia.org

A friend of mine has a blue Bentley and it looks horrible. He can't even stand it now.

Enjoy your new car!
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2010, 03:32 AM   #11
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICALL View Post
A dealer detail will definitely result in swirl marks. Perhaps not very noticable to you initially, but overtime, it will appear your car is covered in spider webs.

Either hire a professional to do an initial prep for around $200-$300 or learn to do it yourself.

My 2009 white 550i has swirl marks, but due to the light color, they're not noticeable.

I'm expecting delivery of a 2011 carbon black 550i. There are notes on my order not to prep/wash the car when received and I've threatened the salesman with bodily harm if its "clean" when I get there.

Search here for new car prep or try www.autopia.org

A friend of mine has a blue Bentley and it looks horrible. He can't even stand it now.

Enjoy your new car!
Your car will arrive covered in dirt and have a "Wax Protection Coating" on it, are you saying do not wash it!!!?.
It will look like shite.
The body shop guys at my dealership know me and know what I expect the car to look like when I go to inspect it, if it's got paint swirls or scratchs they will be keeping the car.
      11-12-2010, 03:55 AM   #12
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbmw6 View Post
Your car will arrive covered in dirt and have a "Wax Protection Coating" on it, are you saying do not wash it!!!?.
It will look like shite.
That's what I was thinking. It's about half an inch thick that stuff.

I rely on the professionalism of my local BMW dealer that my motor won't be ruined from day one. Not a nice position to be in That said, I usually stick a 'Do Not Wash' Post It on the steering wheel when my cars go in for a service.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2010, 05:08 AM   #13
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich1068 View Post
That's what I was thinking. It's about half an inch thick that stuff.

I rely on the professionalism of my local BMW dealer that my motor won't be ruined from day one. Not a nice position to be in That said, I usually stick a 'Do Not Wash' Post It on the steering wheel when my cars go in for a service.
I have had 4 new BMW's in a row now Rich, the first came with scratches on the bonnet (swirl marks) the colour was Deep sea Blue, in sun light it looked second hand, I went mad refused the car unless a pro-detail was done on it.
Since then I have had better treatment and great paint finish on the others, however like you I ask they DO NOT wash it went/if it comes in for some work.
      11-14-2010, 04:29 PM   #14
ICALL
Private First Class
Rep

[QUOTE=rich1068;8321972]
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbmw6 View Post
It will look like shite.
No, I'm saying don't let them wash it. I plan on taking the car home and prep'ing it myself immediately.

My color is carbon black. I wouldn't let anyone other than a professional detailer with experience and excellent references touch the car other than me.

Next time you're out, look for a black car and watch where the sun reflects off it. You'll see spider webs all over the car. This comes from small dirt particles dragged across the clearcoat while washing or drying.

A good prep will take me 6 hours or so. It make take a professional 2-3 hours. I consider it bonding time. ;-)

Last edited by ICALL; 11-15-2010 at 06:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2010, 02:57 AM   #15
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICALL View Post
I consider it bonding time. ;-)

Very good.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2010, 03:09 PM   #16
bmwarchitect
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 03 BMW X5

Have any of you had any experience with an ED delivery and how the car is prepped? I have ordered a carbon black 550 and am concerned about the swirl potential.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2011, 03:27 PM   #17
ICALL
Private First Class
Rep

@bmwarchitect: Be ready to polish the car! Unless I was the exception, this car will come swirled.

When I ordered the car, I left instructions not to prep the exterior. I called the dealership a few times to the point of when I spoke to the dealership they responded "We know, don't touch the exterior". When I picked the car up, it was slightly dirty. They told me the only time it was touched was when it got off the boat at the prep center. The dealership said they "have" to wash it there. I'm not sure if this is true, but I am sure it happened.

The trunk was completely swirled. There was some swirls on the corner panels as well. Not terrible that I noticed it when picking up the car in the late afternoon, but coming out the next day in the sun, there they were. The trunk actually looked like a used car. I was floored.

I have a PC7424, but didn't feel like spending two days fixing the car. I reached out to a highly recommended Autopian (www.autopia.org) who will be correct the car this weekend.

A note on the carbon black paint... It looks incredible in the sun. Its black, then its metallic blue, then it has some purple hue to it. Awesome color. Mine has been a dust magnet. Also, today, a bird sh!t on the car. I got it home within 20 minutes and QD'd it off only to find an etch mark from the bird poop. I'm now considering getting a CR Spotless DI system so I don't actually have to dry the car.

After all this, I still wouldn't change the color if I could. It looks that awesome. I'll try to get some pics after its detailed.

Good luck with yours!
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 09:57 AM   #18
VWtoBMW
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5

Garage List
I pick up my car tomorrow. I asked them just to a hand wash and pull it into a bay and I will apply sealant and wax. I will feel better that way
      10-03-2012, 06:47 PM   #19
VWtoBMW
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5

Garage List
I did the job on my F10 myself. I asks the dealer to hand wash it and leave it in a service bay until delivery the next morning. I started with Swissvax blue clay, followed with Menzerna sealant and finished with Swissvax Blauweiss wax applied directly by hand.

I was shocked and how much filth there was in the finish that the clay got off. Not a scratch, swirl and haze to be seen. I also took advantage of the opportunity to put sealant on the door jambs, channels under the hood an trunk, etc
      12-22-2012, 05:14 PM   #20
weissja
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 550i

I have carbon black and didn't let the dealer wash it or take off the plastic. Did it myself instead to avoid the typical scratches, swirls, etc.
Appreciate 0