2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Need Opinion's on MHD and BM3 tunes

09-12-2022, 09:02 AM   #1
DeathBlow
Rep
Drives: BMW 535i x drive M-Sport

Need Opinion's on MHD and BM3 tunes

Hey Guys,
I was looking at maybe picking up one of these tunes or getting a custom one. I see mix reviews on both online and just wanted to see if any one had experience with both of them and what might be the pro and cons? I want to do the basic upgrades intake/intercooler and downpipe so which tuner would work best for that setup? I have emailed the vendors directly to learn more about their products but didn't really get much information back other that it will work and to check to make sure that the DME is not on the newest software or it will need to be unlocked on a bench. I'm new to the F10 535i platform so any help is apricated and if this is covered in another Thread please send me the link.

Thanks,
Ansar
Appreciate 1
      09-12-2022, 10:57 AM   #2
SWFLf10
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpina B6, 2015 535i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathBlow View Post
Hey Guys,
I was looking at maybe picking up one of these tunes or getting a custom one. I see mix reviews on both online and just wanted to see if any one had experience with both of them and what might be the pro and cons? I want to do the basic upgrades intake/intercooler and downpipe so which tuner would work best for that setup? I have emailed the vendors directly to learn more about their products but didn't really get much information back other that it will work and to check to make sure that the DME is not on the newest software or it will need to be unlocked on a bench. I'm new to the F10 535i platform so any help is apricated and if this is covered in another Thread please send me the link.

Thanks,
Ansar
I don't have any other experience besides BM3, and love it. Very simple to use, a few OTS tune stages with user defined options, and available custom tuner support if desired. Also has the option for a trans flash tune, but ended up using xhp for my trans tune for more options.
Appreciate 1
      09-12-2022, 01:34 PM   #3
DeathBlow
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFLf10 View Post
I don't have any other experience besides BM3, and love it. Very simple to use, a few OTS tune stages with user defined options, and available custom tuner support if desired. Also has the option for a trans flash tune, but ended up using xhp for my trans tune for more options.
Thanks for replying, do you think the trans tune is needed? And what changes did xhp provide that made you feel it was worth it?

Thanks,
Ansar
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2022, 02:01 PM   #4
SWFLf10
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpina B6, 2015 535i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathBlow View Post

Thanks for replying, do you think the trans tune is needed? And what changes did xhp provide that made you feel it was worth it?

Thanks,
Ansar
I personally use it for a higher internal pressure to help reduce slip and have it set to start in second gear instead of first just for the comfort of not almost immediately changing from first to second each time I start moving from a stop.

I have it set to the stage 3 tune right now which is perfect in my eyes, it is quick but comfortable in eco pro and comfort, and is more aggressive in sport and sport plus.

You can adjust shift point yourself too if you want to really dial it in.

I don't think it's needed, but does provide an added touch.
Appreciate 1
      09-12-2022, 07:37 PM   #5
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

Of the list of things I've done to my F10, I value xHP more than the engine tune. For engine tune I went with MHD.

Rationale: I started doing what I was doing to my F10 because it is a keeper, the only car I have budget for right now, and I wanted to do some things to it to make me miss my E39 less.

Not everything is about 1/4 mile times or beating everyone in stoplight races. I was going for driver engagement and the ability to customize parameters over all out performance.

xHP gives me near-DCT performance when I want it. I have it quite well figured out when it will be smooth and chill, sporty but still refined, and as fast as possible based on setting combinations. It has a ton of additional configuration, detects stop and go traffic etc..etc.. Combined with the exhaust, I miss driving stick less than I used to. If I started with a 2TB SAT in a true option 704 M Sport, the difference would be less but still there. The Alpina flash talked about is free, well tested (by the factory) and an improvement, but xHP does more.

I waffled over BM3 vs. MHD for a while. I have an older PWG N55 and I was probably never going further than stage 1. BM3 seems to be more of 'platform' while MHD is a phone flasher that just gets things done. Based on reading it seemed to me that the OTS maps for PWG were smoother and nicer to drive on MHD but there wasn't much difference. Again, I was in it for driver engagement and configurability - things like linear throttle mapping. Since I bought MHD they've added revised coolant temperature targets, on the fly map switching, valet mode, anti-lag (don't use it), GTS start up roar, burbles, braps and all kinds of stuff even though their focus is clearly on the B58.

MHD's pricing model is also quite different. If you buy the "all in" packages they're closer. I ended up spending a fraction as much because I didn't purchase all the datalogging. I knew that if I needed it built in to MHD I could purchase it in a second to troubleshoot any issues I'm having. Frankly with Stage 1 it's worked perfectly out of the box so I saved a ton buying only the flasher and Stage 1 OTS maps. I think I spent less than half of what I would have needed to pay to get the same thing out of BM3. Maybe even 1/3. I'd have to go digging through my records.

MHD also works well as a code reader and reset built into a phone, will register replacement batteries and a bunch of other things. Add to that, around when I purchased they had a campaign where they tested and developed together with xHP to eliminate the value scaling that a lot of tunes do to fool the transmission into doing certain things and permitting extra power. MHD has an 'xHP transmission' flash mode. It knows that the transmission works a certain way with xHP flashed to it, and there is no more scaling/altering data values exchanged by the engine and transmission.

At any rate - you'd probably be happy either way if you have an N55. The difference xHP makes to an option 205 basic AT is understated by most. Like I said if I had to start ranking and choosing, xHP would be ahead of an engine tune for me. With an exhaust, xHP even adds to the soundtrack.
Appreciate 2
      09-13-2022, 06:11 AM   #6
95blkmax
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 535 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly73 View Post
Of the list of things I've done to my F10, I value xHP more than the engine tune. For engine tune I went with MHD.

Rationale: I started doing what I was doing to my F10 because it is a keeper, the only car I have budget for right now, and I wanted to do some things to it to make me miss my E39 less.

Not everything is about 1/4 mile times or beating everyone in stoplight races. I was going for driver engagement and the ability to customize parameters over all out performance.

xHP gives me near-DCT performance when I want it. I have it quite well figured out when it will be smooth and chill, sporty but still refined, and as fast as possible based on setting combinations. It has a ton of additional configuration, detects stop and go traffic etc..etc.. Combined with the exhaust, I miss driving stick less than I used to. If I started with a 2TB SAT in a true option 704 M Sport, the difference would be less but still there. The Alpina flash talked about is free, well tested (by the factory) and an improvement, but xHP does more.

I waffled over BM3 vs. MHD for a while. I have an older PWG N55 and I was probably never going further than stage 1. BM3 seems to be more of 'platform' while MHD is a phone flasher that just gets things done. Based on reading it seemed to me that the OTS maps for PWG were smoother and nicer to drive on MHD but there wasn't much difference. Again, I was in it for driver engagement and configurability - things like linear throttle mapping. Since I bought MHD they've added revised coolant temperature targets, on the fly map switching, valet mode, anti-lag (don't use it), GTS start up roar, burbles, braps and all kinds of stuff even though their focus is clearly on the B58.

MHD's pricing model is also quite different. If you buy the "all in" packages they're closer. I ended up spending a fraction as much because I didn't purchase all the datalogging. I knew that if I needed it built in to MHD I could purchase it in a second to troubleshoot any issues I'm having. Frankly with Stage 1 it's worked perfectly out of the box so I saved a ton buying only the flasher and Stage 1 OTS maps. I think I spent less than half of what I would have needed to pay to get the same thing out of BM3. Maybe even 1/3. I'd have to go digging through my records.

MHD also works well as a code reader and reset built into a phone, will register replacement batteries and a bunch of other things. Add to that, around when I purchased they had a campaign where they tested and developed together with xHP to eliminate the value scaling that a lot of tunes do to fool the transmission into doing certain things and permitting extra power. MHD has an 'xHP transmission' flash mode. It knows that the transmission works a certain way with xHP flashed to it, and there is no more scaling/altering data values exchanged by the engine and transmission.

At any rate - you'd probably be happy either way if you have an N55. The difference xHP makes to an option 205 basic AT is understated by most. Like I said if I had to start ranking and choosing, xHP would be ahead of an engine tune for me. With an exhaust, xHP even adds to the soundtrack.
This x100! Totally right.

I went with MHD because I felt it was such an easier interface. IMO very user friendly and simple to use, rather than the BM3's DOS-like cluttered interface (or lack there of). I've gotten to mess with both, BM3 is NOT difficult to learn at all, but I felt MHD had zero learning curve, lol. Also, it has now been PROVEN that if you want smoother power (and maybe a little more power), MHD provides better OTS maps than BM3 (albeit, on the B58 platform... but it goes with what others have reported having switched from BM3 to MHD). See ThicWhip's dyno comparison on his Supra-
-I'd start it around the 10min mark.

On my car I was "standard FOB" stuff with JB4, then went MHD and was VERY happy with it... then a year later I finally bit the bullet and did xHP stage3 and . By far, it makes the car so much more fun!
      09-13-2022, 08:37 AM   #7
DeathBlow
Rep

Thanks Guys for all the information! This was very helpful as i am new to BMW's and the F10 platform. I just picked up a 2016 535i with M sport package and I'm not looking for crazy power just a fun daily driver. From what you guys are saying I think MHD with the xHP tune might be the way to go.
Attached Images

Last edited by DeathBlow; 09-13-2022 at 08:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2022, 08:55 AM   #8
95blkmax
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 535 M-Sport

nice find! congrats
      09-13-2022, 09:18 AM   #9
DeathBlow
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95blkmax View Post
nice find! congrats
Thanks! Will post more pics once I start working on it. Trying not to go too crazy that's what ended up happening with my B7 A4 and my 350z..lol. I normally post stuff up on YouTube (ProjectzGarage) so will share with the forum.

Ansar
Appreciate 0