2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Bmw f11 535d huge amount of black smoke

09-14-2022, 07:41 AM   #1
Kevin.see
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw f11 535d

hi, have searched around on various forums but still feel unsure about the problem with my 535d. no one on the norwegian forums will help but rather ridicule my problem. it all starts with the car smoking extreme amounts of black smoke when kicking down with the DPF installed, I was told by the mechanic that the dpf was clogged so I bought a downpipe and had a remap inserted by a serious tuner in Norway with DPF delete, EGR delete, vmax off++ but the car does not smoke any more but also not any less, exactly the same problem. I have replaced the air filter myself and tried a new maf with calibration, no difference. I can see oil spillage on the charge pressure hose from turbo to intercooler and intercooler to intake. my tuner thought it was a very large turbo lag from small to large turbo and thinks it could be the regulator/geometry from small to large turbo that is the problem (?) I'm really stuck here and need help, I only have bimmerlink and take the diagnosis myself , I saw that the turbo was charging 42psi at full throttle yesterday and getting 2 error codes : 25ce00 and 276900. really appreciate any help
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2022, 10:05 PM   #2
95blkmax
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 535 M-Sport

We never got the F11 here in USA but we did get the F10 with the N57. The N57 is a single turbo engine, and electronically controlled wastegate. Unless in Europe you still got the old iron block M57 in the early years of the F10/ F11?? Because the M57 does have 2, sequential turbos (a small and a large turbo).

Typically when a diesel's DPF is clogged IF it flows a little and suddenly releases (like if the substrate broke off) that would be momentary and concentrated. Not a constant issue. What you're describing SOUNDS more like an injector that's stuck open so it is just dumping diesel (regardless of N57/ M57). The GENERAL rule with diesel is with "black smoke= too much diesel". Like American big diesels that they mod to "roll coal" and put out a ton of black smoke... that's basically just increasing common rail pressure to get all that crap to come out.

I suggest to inspect your injectors and check for something called black death (carbon build up that starts at the tip and if not fixed will actually go through the injector seal and up through the valve cover. It can get pretty nasty!
      09-20-2022, 03:37 AM   #3
mrwrong71
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: MINI Countryman

Kevin, black smoke means too much diesel fuel enters in the engine. This is a serious problem and the best way is to make a diagnosis with ISTA, not bimmerlink. In ISTA you have more info and can execute many diagnostic procedures and find the problem or just go to the specialized service before breaking the engine.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2022, 05:24 AM   #4
Kevin.see
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw f11 535d

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwrong71 View Post
Kevin, black smoke means too much diesel fuel enters in the engine. This is a serious problem and the best way is to make a diagnosis with ISTA, not bimmerlink. In ISTA you have more info and can execute many diagnostic procedures and find the problem or just go to the specialized service before breaking the engine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwrong71 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95blkmax View Post
We never got the F11 here in USA but we did get the F10 with the N57. The N57 is a single turbo engine, and electronically controlled wastegate. Unless in Europe you still got the old iron block M57 in the early years of the F10/ F11?? Because the M57 does have 2, sequential turbos (a small and a large turbo).

Typically when a diesel's DPF is clogged IF it flows a little and suddenly releases (like if the substrate broke off) that would be momentary and concentrated. Not a constant issue. What you're describing SOUNDS more like an injector that's stuck open so it is just dumping diesel (regardless of N57/ M57). The GENERAL rule with diesel is with "black smoke= too much diesel". Like American big diesels that they mod to "roll coal" and put out a ton of black smoke... that's basically just increasing common rail pressure to get all that crap to come out.

I suggest to inspect your injectors and check for something called black death (carbon build up that starts at the tip and if not fixed will actually go through the injector seal and up through the valve cover. It can get pretty nasty!
Thanks for the answer🫡, i did clean the map sensor and the car is so much better now, it pulls on much lower revs and i can finally feel the big turbo kick in aswell. I still gonna change the charge pipes later on
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2022, 08:41 AM   #5
Ddot12
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin.see View Post
hi, have searched around on various forums but still feel unsure about the problem with my 535d. no one on the norwegian forums will help but rather ridicule my problem. it all starts with the car smoking extreme amounts of black smoke when kicking down with the DPF installed, I was told by the mechanic that the dpf was clogged so I bought a downpipe and had a remap inserted by a serious tuner in Norway with DPF delete, EGR delete, vmax off++ but the car does not smoke any more but also not any less, exactly the same problem. I have replaced the air filter myself and tried a new maf with calibration, no difference. I can see oil spillage on the charge pressure hose from turbo to intercooler and intercooler to intake. my tuner thought it was a very large turbo lag from small to large turbo and thinks it could be the regulator/geometry from small to large turbo that is the problem (?) I'm really stuck here and need help, I only have bimmerlink and take the diagnosis myself , I saw that the turbo was charging 42psi at full throttle yesterday and getting 2 error codes : 25ce00 and 276900. really appreciate any help
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin.see View Post
Keep us updated my friend got this same issue
Appreciate 0