2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK Drivetrains Fault :(

05-31-2014, 07:54 AM   #23
xd
Rep
Drives: 525d Touring Xdrive

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1979/54 could provide useful info on repair or replacement of goods.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2014, 05:36 AM   #24
CmdllbF11
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MY10 F11 520d SE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dippo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piers View Post
That is totally unacceptable. Leaving it outside is just compounding the case against them, they may need to be informed of that. Why should you wait three months, they must be pretty sure of a fix to even risk quoting 3 months and not allowing you to reject now....

This response seems to be from BMW Finance, not BMW. I suppose they are happy if the customer is being given a similar car, in that the customer is still getting what they are paying for, and their asset is not being used and therefore adding mileage.

BMW's attitude may be different.
Good point, there!
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2014, 05:54 AM   #25
Piers
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 F10 535d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmdllbF11 View Post
Good point, there!
Agreed, however, BMW finance is not BMW, so why get a decision from them on such a serious issue?
2017 F10 535d MSport Auto - Mineral Grey - Oyster leather - 19" 351M's - Pro Media - Enhanced bluetooth - MSport rear spoiler - Sun protection glass - Harman Kardon Hifi - Multi Function Display - Ambient Lighting - Folding mirrors - Sunroof - LED adaptive headlights
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2014, 06:52 AM   #26
accordRE
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Agreed, however, BMW finance is not BMW, so why get a decision from them on such a serious issue?
I was told I'd have to go through them for some reason. I've had an offer from Tim Abotts team to sort the issue out if FS cannot come to a resolution I'm happy with.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2014, 06:57 AM   #27
accordRE
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by accordRE View Post
I was told I'd have to go through them for some reason. I've had an offer from Tim Abotts team to sort the issue out if FS cannot come to a resolution I'm happy with.
Initially I rang up customer services tellling them I wanted to reject the car. They asked me if the car was financed or not, having told them it was on a PCP I was then directed to BMW FS who I was told would deal with the matter.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2014, 02:06 PM   #28
Piers
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Initially I rang up customer services tellling them I wanted to reject the car. They asked me if the car was financed or not, having told them it was on a PCP I was then directed to BMW FS who I was told would deal with the matter.
Ah ok that makes sense. Not having had to face this situation, I can only sympathise with you, it is easy to make suggestions on the internet
2017 F10 535d MSport Auto - Mineral Grey - Oyster leather - 19" 351M's - Pro Media - Enhanced bluetooth - MSport rear spoiler - Sun protection glass - Harman Kardon Hifi - Multi Function Display - Ambient Lighting - Folding mirrors - Sunroof - LED adaptive headlights
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2014, 03:57 PM   #29
accordRE
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Ah ok that makes sense. Not having had to face this situation, I can only sympathise with you, it is easy to make suggestions on the internet
No worries Piers, appreciate the help! It's a bit of a pain but hopefully I'll get my car replaced or my money back. Probably go for a 520i with the m sport plus pack next time round
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2014, 04:14 PM   #30
Piers
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
No worries Piers, appreciate the help! It's a bit of a pain but hopefully I'll get my car replaced or my money back. Probably go for a 520i with the m sport plus pack next time round
Every cloud and all that
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 07:31 PM   #31
hajmuntz
Private
Rep
Drives: 520d lux touring LCI

Good Luck accordRE - keep us updated on progress.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2014, 10:27 AM   #32
accordRE
Private First Class
Rep

Finally heard back about my car, the dealership have said that BMW in Germany have done an update on my car over the internet and want to drive it around for the weekend to make sure the fault is gone.

Problem is the fault comes up every two weeks in average so obviously no fault will be found.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2014, 03:29 PM   #33
hajmuntz
Private
Rep
Drives: 520d lux touring LCI

Quote:
Finally heard back about my car, the dealership have said that BMW in Germany have done an update on my car over the internet and want to drive it around for the weekend to make sure the fault is gone.

Problem is the fault comes up every two weeks in average so obviously no fault will be found.
so the problem is software related? that seems strange.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2014, 07:11 AM   #34
2tek
Daddy Wagon
Ireland
Rep
Drives: G31

Keeping an eye on the progress of things here.

Dunno if you still need the info

!. I didn't go through BMW Customer service as such. Though I rang them to enquire about the fault though as i was quite surprised that its something that "couldn't be fixed".

2. The BMW Sales agent that sold me the first car did all the work. i didn't even have to escalate things. The SA understood the fact that my confidence was shot with the BMW brand as it was my first BMW. He reassured me and gave me the new vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2014, 02:40 PM   #35
accordRE
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tek View Post
Keeping an eye on the progress of things here.

Dunno if you still need the info

!. I didn't go through BMW Customer service as such. Though I rang them to enquire about the fault though as i was quite surprised that its something that "couldn't be fixed".

2. The BMW Sales agent that sold me the first car did all the work. i didn't even have to escalate things. The SA understood the fact that my confidence was shot with the BMW brand as it was my first BMW. He reassured me and gave me the new vehicle.
Looks like I've just purchased my car with a dealer who's more worried about they're pay cheque than they are with the confidence of their customers.

I'm waiting to hear from them on Monday regarding the progress of their "repair"
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2014, 05:00 PM   #36
accordRE
Private First Class
Rep

Well, no news from dealers. I'm wondering if I should get trading standards involved as I'm not really sure who to contact.

I've been in touch with BMWUK customer services, who passed me back to Quality Control under the BMW Financial Services department. Haven't heard from QC yet, and only heard back from dealer last week saying they had tried a fix that they needed to test.

Do I get in touch with the dealer principal for a replacement vehicle or customer services?
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2014, 05:18 PM   #37
xs2man
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 F11 530d M-Sport

Subscribed to this.

Never had anything like this happen as yet to me. Can you tell me, those who have experienced this problem, are you all driving 20d's? Sports Auto or Auto or Manual?

I'm just trying to see if there is a common denominator here.

Appreciate 0
      06-16-2014, 05:36 PM   #38
accordRE
Private First Class
Rep

Hi, well it's just me and 2tek who have experienced this fault so far.

From that sample group it's a fault in the LCI 520d's, my car is the standard 8 speed auto. No sports auto available on the LCI 520d, only gearshift paddles as an extra.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 01:48 PM   #39
Piers
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Hi, well it's just me and 2tek who have experienced this fault so far.

From that sample group it's a fault in the LCI 520d's, my car is the standard 8 speed auto. No sports auto available on the LCI 520d, only gearshift paddles as an extra.
2 have it, mine does'nt. 520d LCI, no sports auto, with paddles.

So that is 2 of 3 so far. 8.5k miles so far
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 03:05 PM   #40
accordRE
Private First Class
Rep

From everything I've heard from BMW themselves, it's a known problem but very rare, and from what I've been told only affects 520D's. Happy to be proven wrong though
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 02:33 PM   #41
Markee
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i Carbon Black

See my thread, I've got a 48 hr old 520d auto with a buggered gearbox.

In the dealer at the moment waiting for a new gearbox to come in from Germany.

Only done 70 miles, and 12 of them were on they when I got it!

It may be very rare, but that isn't much of a consolation when it happens to you!
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 03:59 AM   #42
accordRE
Private First Class
Rep

Good News!

Apparently BMW Germany have programmed my car over the interwebs and have apparently fixed it!!

I shall be collecting the car sometime this week, hope it's not as trashed as it was when I last saw it.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2014, 01:54 AM   #43
m@rk
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 520D SE

Garage List
I do hope you are right and that it's fixed however the way you are being passed about when trying to reject feels very familiar. You may want to read this and see what happened when I tried to reject a car

http://mynewmercedesbenzrattles.wordpress.com/

Whilst legally BMW FS and BMW UK are 2 different entities you will find that they are sitting in the same office and don't behave as such.

And finally remember that under the sale of goods act, it is the dealer that sold you the car and it would be them that you took to court if it ever got that far (although the finance company could be held jointly liable)

KEEP A DIARY of all calls, emails etc
      07-02-2014, 06:00 AM   #44
accordRE
Private First Class
Rep

Well guys, you wouldn't believe what just happened!

I got to work this morning, and as I was setting off after stop start kicked in...

DRIVETRAIN FAULT!

So to sum up my experience with BMW so far:

My Personal Car- Drivetrain fault within 2 weeks
First Courtesy car (Z4)- Pedestrian impact protection system failure
Second Courtesy car (320i)- Extremely hot passenger window switch which crackled everytime it was used
Third Courtesy car- Drivetrain fault within a month
Appreciate 0