2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum DHP?

11-27-2013, 06:05 PM   #1
Diesel_Lover
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d

DHP?

I am buying a 535dx.

DHP, could I live without it?

I never got a clear answer on this from a previous post.

This is the hardest option to decide upon because it is so expensive, and I really want a sports sedan. Not just a luxury cruiser.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2013, 07:02 PM   #2
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i 6-speed

So skip the DHP and the xDrive both, get yourself a RWD sedan with MSport and 704 sport suspension option. There aren't any hills in Indiana, are there?

If you feel you must have xDrive, test drive one. Others are saying the standard suspensin on the LCI is better. You might not need DHP to have a sporty car with good handling. But you shoud judge it for yourself.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2013, 07:20 PM   #3
Diesel_Lover
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by raleedy View Post
So skip the DHP and the xDrive both, get yourself a RWD sedan with MSport and 704 sport suspension option. There aren't any hills in Indiana, are there?

If you feel you must have xDrive, test drive one. Others are saying the standard suspensin on the LCI is better. You might not need DHP to have a sporty car with good handling. But you shoud judge it for yourself.
Not on your life will I give up the xDrive. I am moving back to the Rocky Mountains sooner or later, and xDrive is a must in those Rocky Mountain winters.

If I was planning on staying in Indiana I would just keep my red 335d.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2013, 07:20 PM   #4
AVIMAX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: last BMW was 2014 535xd

I had a 2011 535xi without DHP and now I have a 535xd with DHP. I like the DHP, the sport setting is good, but I find myself mostly in comfort mode since I'm not on too many twisty back roads, just city traffic and highways. If I lived in a more rural area with twisty back roads, I'd definitely want it. In the city, not as critical.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2013, 12:27 AM   #5
Boulder Bill
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Porsche Cayman GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel_Lover View Post
Not on your life will I give up the xDrive. I am moving back to the Rocky Mountains sooner or later, and xDrive is a must in those Rocky Mountain winters.

If I was planning on staying in Indiana I would just keep my red 335d.
Uh, I've been driving rear wheel drive with snows here in the Rocky Mountains for many years and wouldn't do it any other way. Xdrive is marketing and perhaps peace of mind, but if you need to stop quickly (always the biggest issue with winter driving), I'd take snows any day.

Lastly, you get the fun of RWD and summer tires much of the year!
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2013, 05:52 AM   #6
Diesel_Lover
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boulder Bill View Post
Uh, I've been driving rear wheel drive with snows here in the Rocky Mountains for many years and wouldn't do it any other way. Xdrive is marketing and perhaps peace of mind, but if you need to stop quickly (always the biggest issue with winter driving), I'd take snows any day.

Do you live in Denver?

I lived up in the ski resorts for 20 years, and plan on moving back. I could see living in Denver or the front range with RWD, but not up in the mountains.

I drove commercially up in the mountains for a long time, so I am intimately familiar with the conditions.

You are correct about the stopping, but steep grades from a stand still, especially steep driveways are a problem in winter.

Also, you'll get every bit of your money back on the xDrive at resale in Colorado.

I have had a RWD BMW in the mountains, and wound up trading it for a Toyota pickup truck, back in the days when xDrive was prohibitively expensive.

I think back in the 80s, if I am remembering correctly, xDrive was in the price range of the M cars.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2013, 07:40 AM   #7
pillpusher84
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 550xi M-Sport Silver

I would recommend the AWD & DHP ... I wouldn't live without it ... but thats me.

AWD is not just for snow ... it's 365 days a year power distribution across all 4 wheels when needed however is rear biased most of the time.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2013, 07:56 AM   #8
Diesel_Lover
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boulder Bill View Post

I guess I am a little slow this morning Boulder Bill. I am guessing you live in Boulder.

Living in Boulder, I can see how you can get away with RWD.

However, no way you can get away with it living in Minturn, Vail, or Glenwood.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2013, 08:06 AM   #9
Boulder Bill
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I guess I am a little slow this morning Boulder Bill. I am guessing you live in Boulder.

Living in Boulder, I can see how you can get away with RWD.

However, no way you can get away with it living in Minturn, Vail, or Glenwood.
If I lived all winter in the mountains, as you say, I think you are probably right. Though not sure an F10 would be my daily driving car of choice.

Clearance as you know becomes the real issue.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2013, 08:27 AM   #10
Diesel_Lover
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

When I actually move back there I will probably get a basic used Toyota pickup, but the F10 will be a great car for visiting.

I don't need a truck in Indiana, and until Toyota starts putting some fuel efficient diesels motors in their trucks I am not interested.

An F11 would suit me better, especially if you could increase the clearance for trailhead access and snow, but now I am really dreaming.

Last edited by Diesel_Lover; 11-29-2013 at 10:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2013, 08:48 AM   #11
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i 6-speed

X3 or x5 would be a better choice for the Rockies.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2013, 09:06 AM   #12
Boulder Bill
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
An F11 would suit me better, especially if you could increase the clearance for trailhead access and snow, but now I am really dreaming.
Fantasizing?

Hope you're move back is soon. Ski season just started!
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2013, 09:49 AM   #13
Diesel_Lover
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by raleedy View Post
X3 or x5 would be a better choice for the Rockies.
If I knew I was moving back soon I would get the X5 or the X3, but I am in Indiana, and I don't need an SAV here.

I drove the X5 35d, and it seemed a little under powered. Also, I want higher fuel economy than what X5 offers. I have a Lexus RX330 that I use here, when needed.

I heard they were introducing an X3 diesel spring of 2014. I would love to see an X3 335d.
Appreciate 0