2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes Squeaking Brakes - HELP!

01-04-2013, 01:14 PM   #1
s5nake5
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F10 535i

Squeaking Brakes - HELP!

I know this has been brought up many times before and I've searched but couldn't find the same problem I'm having.

If my car sits with the e-brake on (which I have to since it's manual transmission) for a certain length of time (say one hour) - I'll begin to drive, and as I apply the brakes the first 2-3 times there's a very loud annoying squeaking noise. This only happens in the morning as I leave my garage for work or in the evening as I leave work. After the initial 2-3 times of braking the squeaking goes away if I apply the brakes.

I have a 2011 F10 535i M-Sport Manual transmission rear wheel drive. Rear brakes were changed at 13k mile, but I've been having this problem since about 12k miles.

I've taken my car to the dealership and they keep saying it's brake dust (of course).

Does this sound like brake dust or something else?
      01-04-2013, 04:05 PM   #2
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

You changed your rear brakes at 13k miles or 13k miles ago? The rear brakes should last around 45k miles.

I noticed BMWs and Merc do squeak when it's cold out. It has something to do with the pad compound, which explains why BMWs got so much brake dust compared to Jap cars (except for any Jap models with Brembo).
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 04:16 PM   #3
s5nake5
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F10 535i

I changed the pads at 13k and I don't really brake hard. Not sure why they wore so quickly.

My brakes started squeaking around the November timeframe. It may be due to the cold?
      01-04-2013, 06:41 PM   #4
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by s5nake5 View Post
I changed the pads at 13k and I don't really brake hard. Not sure why they wore so quickly.

My brakes started squeaking around the November timeframe. It may be due to the cold?
That's very odd. I wonder if you have bad brake distribution. Most of the braking power is up front, not the back. Normally, I would say it's the cold. However, you may have bigger issues.

If you rear brakes wear out again within 20k miles, you should tell the dealership to do a complete diagnostic.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 09:05 AM   #5
Juiced46
Major
Rep
Drives: 03 Turbo Cobra, 2011 335xi

I can guarantee the brakes didnt wear out @ 13k miles. What happened was the CBS data said the brakes are due when they really were not and the warning showed in the car. This is very common for F10s to give a false brake warning saying that the brakes are due prematurely. So the OP probably got new rear brakes @ 13k but for sure did not need them.

s5snake5. In colder climates it is normal to get a little squeeking from the brakes. Especially on the initial drive after sitting. The rotors may develop a slight haze of rust on the rotor from sitting and thats what is causing the squeak until that rust goes away after driving for a short time. Just like when you wash your car you get a slight haze of rust on the rotors. I wouldn't worry about it.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 08:41 PM   #6
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiced46 View Post
I can guarantee the brakes didnt wear out @ 13k miles. What happened was the CBS data said the brakes are due when they really were not and the warning showed in the car. This is very common for F10s to give a false brake warning saying that the brakes are due prematurely. So the OP probably got new rear brakes @ 13k but for sure did not need them.
If this is true, wouldn't the dealer just reset the data? They wouldn't throw on new pads if that's the case.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2013, 12:17 PM   #7
Juiced46
Major
Rep
Drives: 03 Turbo Cobra, 2011 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNoSol View Post
If this is true, wouldn't the dealer just reset the data? They wouldn't throw on new pads if that's the case.

It depends. Depending if the pad sensor is actually touching the rotor or not. Sometimes the system will not let you reset the light and you have the change the pads and sensor to get it to reset. Sometimes you just reset the light. Some techs will replace the pads just because the system says its due even if they are not because they are getting paid for it.

BTW- My car did this same thing today. It was probably 25-30* out. Car sat from last night until 10am this morn with Ebrake activated. Released Ebrake, backed out of my driveway and it squeaked on the initial braking then went away. My car has 150 miles on it.
Appreciate 0