2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Retrofit 12v in armrest and dashcam fit

04-07-2016, 09:15 AM   #1
Apples12
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 520D LCI auto

Retrofit 12v in armrest and dashcam fit

Hi all!

New here to BMW world, I have a 520d LCI which I'm trying to fit a few extra bits to.

I've already retrofitted a reversing camera, looking to get my dashcam fitted into my f10 now.

The camera I have runs off a straight 12v. Is there any where in the head liner I can tap 12v from?

Also, how do you remove the armrest compartment/storage tray? I have a blank where there should be a 12v outlet, would like to fit one here so I can charge my phone from there instead of having the cup holders always open!

Future mods/retrofits:

Comfort seats to start with!

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2016, 02:28 PM   #2
TZ
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i xDrive, 2014 435i CO

For dashcam.
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=546557

Service Manual: www.newtis.info
Part: http://www.realoem.com
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2016, 07:03 AM   #3
Apples12
First Lieutenant
Rep

Hi all,

just an update to this - i dove straight into fitting the 12v in the armrest over the weekend - its stupidly simple

get yourself a 12v socket, plug housing and connector pins from your local parts counter

1. pry off the surround from the armrest button, will just pop off
remove the torx screw in there

2. lift up the surround around the gear lever - PROTECT YOUR GEAR LEVER/selector! the edge of the trim is sharp and will cut the leather,

3. remove the trim around the gear selector/cup holders, theres a few plugs you'll need to disconnect - all will be obvious

4. there is another torx screw on the left hand side of the compartment which is visible after removing the trim which you have to remove

5. the storage compartment simply lifts/prys out

6. unplug everything

7. the blank for the 12v pushes out

8. insert the 12v socket you got from bmw - it slides in

9. use the connectors supplied and some wire to tap into a 12v source - there is one directly beneath the armrest

10. your good to go - just reassemble

will update on how i go with the dashcam install
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2016, 06:00 AM   #4
gtthree
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

Hi apples

Do you have any pictures of you wiring the 12v socket? Particularly where you spliced the wires and whether there is any alternative to splicing by using connectors to the original wiring of the rear 12v power outlet.

Gtthree
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2016, 06:36 AM   #5
Apples12
First Lieutenant
Rep

Hi Gtthree

i'm trying to upload some of the pictures, hopefully they go through

essentially what you have is the factory loom which comes to a terminus just next to the gear selector lever

from memory, this then splits to the cigarette lighter inbetween the cup holders

i spliced into this little short bit as later on that can be replaced on its own if necessary

for the socket - the bmw dealer got me the cigarette lighter socket, the contacts and the plug housing - just using some ordinary automotive wiring or any other good thick gauge wiring - ideally colour coded and your good to.

literally is as easy tapping in and thats it. i dont really like the wire taps, as they can fail and dont give as secure a connection...

good luck! any questions just ask, happy to help. one of the best, cheapest and easiest mods ive ever done to a car and one of the most useful!
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2016, 06:40 AM   #6
Apples12
First Lieutenant
Rep

ok. pics have gone through but bit big!

the wire i am holding is part of the main loom, the plug going off to the top of the picture is the one going to the 12v in the cupholder - i tapped that

you could probably make a little 'y' connector using oem plugs, but then that would be left loose/rattly just there...entirely up to you!
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2016, 08:35 AM   #7
gtthree
Private First Class
Rep

thank you appples12 - very informative.

I'll have a think and try and obtain the part numbers of the oem sockets/pins then consider the current draw.

Although my own current draw is likely to be low.

gtthree
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2016, 08:38 AM   #8
gtthree
Private First Class
Rep

With regards to the dash cam - I power mine via the usb socket in the glove box.
I routed the cable out of the glove box, up the passanger A pillar and tucked it in just under the headlining.

I effectively followed this video

Appreciate 0
      06-02-2016, 07:32 AM   #9
Apples12
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtthree View Post
thank you appples12 - very informative.

I'll have a think and try and obtain the part numbers of the oem sockets/pins then consider the current draw.

Although my own current draw is likely to be low.

gtthree
as I tapped the cigarette lighter in the cupholders, I'm not overly concerned about the current draw as I highly doubt i'll ever use the cupholder 12v outlet, in the armrest however I now have my anker dual usb charger plugged in constantly and its great!

My only worry with running wires up the A pillar is any potential for interference with the airbag...
Appreciate 0