2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Shudder F10 530D Auto

02-20-2014, 02:21 PM   #1
Stormbitch
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G11

Shudder F10 530D Auto

Is it normal when a 30D gets up to temperature that it shudders from side to side at traffic lights when you are in gear..?

My inlet valve was changed by the dealer which made it a little better but I can still feel the engine on idle shake a tiny bit - sometimes a LOT!

Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 07:37 PM   #2
Stormbitch
Lieutenant
Rep

That went well
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 09:29 PM   #3
gclions
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i

Sounds like you have an injector going out, from what I've read the diesel injectors can be a pain to replace.

My experience with BMW has been good so far, but others have said dealerships wait for the car to throw codes before getting into the injectors.

How long have you had it back, and why did they replace the inlet valve? For the same problem? My point, they may be more receptive to digging back into it if the drive-ability problem is still there. I've had four injectors replaced in my 550i, and it's slowly starting to have an intermittent rough idle again. Time to replace the other four I suppose.

Last guess, possibly a vacuum leak? Not sure if the old garden hose/listening trick would work to find it like on an old Chevy. A reputable shop could easily check it out for leaks.

My two cents, good luck!
      02-22-2014, 05:50 AM   #4
Stormbitch
Lieutenant
Rep

Wow... what a genius.. surely you are a master tech with BMW no?

I will ask them to look at that yes.

The inlet valve was changed by the clever dude and it actually made the problem go away for most of the time. It only does it now when the car is warm and right up to temperature, even then it is sporadic.. When it is sporadic it does indicate that something is " on the way out"

Crumbs the more they put on these cars the more the are rubbish.

Maybe I should buy a honda.

Why would it only shudder or shake when drive is selected though? It only happens in Drive after a long run and you pull to a stop?

Is it not just the big engine rattling from side to side a bit?

When I first bought it.. the coffee was shaking, water would move and my passenger and I would actually be moving a bit, it was amusing. Having had the inlet valve changed it made the issue soften a bit.

Sometimes when idle even in neutral the car might do an occasional tiny shake like a splutter.

Last edited by Stormbitch; 02-22-2014 at 05:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2014, 09:45 AM   #5
gclions
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Here's what I found so far. Video shows rough start and idle, turned out to be the glow plug control unit.

Second video discusses unmetered air leaks causing issues. Not to say either is your problem, but if you're out of warranty getting the mechanic to the right answer quickly can save you a lot of money.

If the intake valves were extremely gunked up with carbon buildup he may have made the right call with replacing/cleaning the valves, but a faulty injector may be surfacing as the current issue.

I wouldn't give up on BMW just yet, it seems they recognize the faulty injectors and are proactively working through the issues. All car manufacturers have issues pop up (Toyota brake issues,etc.), so I would afford them the chance to make it right.

What year is your 330d?
      02-22-2014, 10:08 AM   #6
Stormbitch
Lieutenant
Rep

Sorry - firstly wow, thank you - mine is not that bad but helpful. What a helpful guy.

No mine is the F10 530D 245 N55 engine
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 09:56 AM   #7
Stormbitch
Lieutenant
Rep

OK so I am back... argh.

The dealer has now replaced the Engine Mounts.

The inlet valve has been changed.

The car still gently vibrates with the engine running and the car in gear when stationery, it is almost like a tiny cough or series of tiny coughs that the engine is doing. It does not move in neutral, only in gear and when the foot is on the brake. AUTO.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 12:56 PM   #8
gclions
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Still sounds like an injector to me, but to my knowledge the dealer won't replace the injectors without an associated code for misfire, etc. It sounds like they are throwing parts at it in hopes they can fix it.

On a positive note, if it is an injector problem it will likely worsen until it throws a code. At which point, the dealer should aggressively replace the faulty component. Until then, it may be a slight nuisance, and you may not get the fuel economy you've come to expect.

Hopefully someone more familiar with the diesel engines can chime in, as diesels aren't a strong suit of mine. Sometimes it's an extremely easy fix that someone here in the forum has experienced first hand.

Best of luck!
      02-27-2014, 01:40 PM   #9
Stormbitch
Lieutenant
Rep

Yes I will relay that too them, They are an exceptional team so I don't want to go to BMW and ask for their help at this stage.

It is just that my warranty runs out in I think July or August and I would probably need something fixed well before then.. And also it is just so annoying as we want them to be perfect.

I have even resorted to joining another forum to see if anyone there chimes in.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 04:45 AM   #10
Stormbitch
Lieutenant
Rep

Gearbox replaced.

Problem potentially less.

Not completely solved.

Surely now a slight vibration can be felt on your cars?
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 07:32 AM   #11
drianov
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 530d

I have exactly the same problem - idle speed vibrations on Direct with brake applied. I noticed that even switching to sport mode eliminates the problem!
Up to now I have replaced intake manifold, all glow plug + control unit and engine mounts - all under waranty, but the problem still exist.
The dealer refuses to replace or even to check the injectors! They need a specific DTC to be set in order to check injectors...
Did you manage to fix this issue?
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 07:38 AM   #12
Stormbitch
Lieutenant
Rep

Interesting. Google to the rescue it seems.

1. Ask them to change the idle speed. This makes a difference, and there is an allowable increase.

2. Depending on age and mileage you may have a case to ask them to raise either a. A PUMA case at the dealer b. A goodwill case with BMW .

3. If they refuse to fix then you may be able to have a case for not reasonably free from defects.

I have taken my car along that route at the moment and the dealer, whom the contract is with by the way, are working on either an explanation or a repair. In my case there have been lots of other problems hence rejecting the car on this basis.
Appreciate 0