2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding Missing Album Art

11-12-2012, 07:02 AM   #1
obr2d2
Rep
Drives: f10 2012

Missing Album Art

Hi,
We have a new F10 (End of October 2012) and it has the the following specification for Infotainment:

Media package - BMW Professional Multimedia Plus:
609 Navigation system-BMW Professional
Multimedia
610 Head-up Display
612 BMW Assist
616 BMW Assist online portal
6NL Enhanced Bluetooth functionality incl. BMW
Assist with USB audio interface

601 TV function
614 Internet
654 DAB digital radio
6UK Night Vision with pedestrian recognition

As part of the deal I agreed with the dealer that they would provide a Snap-In FOC that allowed my wife to use her iPhone 4S to the maximum available capability that the car has.

Should I be able to see folder art?

All the best,
Sam
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 11:18 AM   #2
rhinosaur
First Lieutenant
Portugal
Rep
Drives: F11 535d MY2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by obr2d2 View Post
Hi,
We have a new F10 (End of October 2012) and it has the the following specification for Infotainment:

Media package - BMW Professional Multimedia Plus:
609 Navigation system-BMW Professional
Multimedia
610 Head-up Display
612 BMW Assist
616 BMW Assist online portal
6NL Enhanced Bluetooth functionality incl. BMW
Assist with USB audio interface

601 TV function
614 Internet
654 DAB digital radio
6UK Night Vision with pedestrian recognition

As part of the deal I agreed with the dealer that they would provide a Snap-In FOC that allowed my wife to use her iPhone 4S to the maximum available capability that the car has.

Should I be able to see folder art?

All the best,
Sam
You should be. In my case, when I use the iPhone 4S as a music source I often do not see the artwork displayed but that is because having artwork streamed over iCloud has been a real issue for Apple. Most of my music in the iPhone is missing artwork because of this, so naturally they are not displayed when listening to it in the car. However, when I use my iPod nano the album covers are always displayed.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 04:08 PM   #3
VWtoBMW
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5

Garage List
I have my iPhone 5 plugged in to the USB port in the center console. If I use the Y cable it does not work.
      11-12-2012, 04:35 PM   #4
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 640d,X5 45e, 911c4s, 635csi

with my media cradle, yes the art is displayed even better because of the iphone resolution my one is iphone 4, but I have an ipod classic with all my music on it 80gb for the ipod I use the white apple cable to make sure I get the art on, a resolution not great so not as sharp as on the iphone, this down to the limited resolution on the ipod. so away from the cradle use the apple cable instead of the Y cable for Art cover.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 02:17 AM   #5
Bimmernerd
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 530dM xDrive F11 2012

When I used my previous iPhone 4 connected through USB in the armrest every once in a while the wrong album art was shown and sometimes also the wrong track name...I transferred all of my MP3:s to the Navi hard drive instead, much more convenient although you miss the album arts. It's no big deal though
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2012, 06:01 AM   #6
obr2d2
Rep
Drives: f10 2012

So I am confused by the situation I find myself in. I have the specification listed above and have read and appreciate all your replies.

But still no Album Art. The dealer has told me the he beleives the following:

1. The only Snap-In that displays Album Art is the media snap-in
2. I cannot use this in my car as I dont have 6NF BMW Apps option
3. I can use the Y cable but this means that I dont then use a Snap-In
4. If I use the Y cable then I lose the ability to use the car's antennae for my telephone aeria.

So I would like to ask whether this set of statements is borne out by your experiences.

When I specced the car for my wife I thought that the snap-in was the right way to go. I didn't realise the full implications of not choosing BMW Apps -I didn't care for Twitter Facebook or Web radio. Now it seems that unless I selected this option I would'nt be able to play back video from my phone or display Album art either using a snap-in.

Can anyone confirm the dealer's position?

All the best,
Sam
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2012, 04:42 PM   #7
73henny
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: a lovely new G20 320dx

The media adapter will work - you don't need apps for this. However just plug in your phone with an apple USB cable and you'll get the art.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 02:38 PM   #8
Edda1
Rep
Drives: 5 Series F11

I have the 6NF option for my 2012 car, £70 optional extra and it shows the ablum art using the white Apple cable.
I have tried it with a USB stick and it also shows the album art.
Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 03:51 PM   #9
rhinosaur
First Lieutenant
Portugal
Rep
Drives: F11 535d MY2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by obr2d2 View Post
So I am confused by the situation I find myself in. I have the specification listed above and have read and appreciate all your replies.

But still no Album Art. The dealer has told me the he beleives the following:

1. The only Snap-In that displays Album Art is the media snap-in
2. I cannot use this in my car as I dont have 6NF BMW Apps option
3. I can use the Y cable but this means that I dont then use a Snap-In
4. If I use the Y cable then I lose the ability to use the car's antennae for my telephone aeria.

So I would like to ask whether this set of statements is borne out by your experiences.

When I specced the car for my wife I thought that the snap-in was the right way to go. I didn't realise the full implications of not choosing BMW Apps -I didn't care for Twitter Facebook or Web radio. Now it seems that unless I selected this option I would'nt be able to play back video from my phone or display Album art either using a snap-in.

Can anyone confirm the dealer's position?

All the best,
Sam
From my experience:
1. Haven't tried any cradle yet, maybe he is right in saying that only the media cradle works. However, album art works over the Apple cable and over bluetooth connection;
2. Wrong, not related at all. You can see album art without having BMW Apps;
3. If you use the Y-cable you won't see album art;
4. Correct.

Have you tried using an iPod instead of the iPhone? If I use my iPod I see the album art 100% of the time for all the songs that I play. On the other hand, if I use the iPhone, most of the time I won't see the album art because of the dreaded iCloud "missing album art" problems that Apple still hasn't been able to iron out. I have recently decided to turn off iTunes Match and sync my iPhone's music the old-fashioned way to go around this problem.

I would recommend you try the Apple white cable to check whether the problem is in the car spec or in the snap-in…

Appreciate 0