2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Buy an F10?

06-18-2015, 04:51 PM   #23
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535i 6sp. DHP/RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMe90 View Post
Does the 535i handle better than the new Mazda 6 and the Honda Accord? I am not trolling here. Those cars have about the same interior space as the 5 series (though they weigh less), so I am wondering if the driving dynamics in the 5 are at least superior to the cheap mid size sedans.
You say you're not trolling, let's go with that based on large number of your posts, but you can't be serious about comparing handling of these right ?

Yes, even 528 with base suspension handles better than Mazda 6 and Accord (and even "new and improved" Camry while we're at it)
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2015, 07:40 PM   #24
GMe90
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i Coupe, ZSP, Premium

Garage List
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [6.00]
2007 BMW 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbb34
Quote:
Does the 535i handle better than the new Mazda 6 and the Honda Accord? I am not trolling here. Those cars have about the same interior space as the 5 series (though they weigh less), so I am wondering if the driving dynamics in the 5 are at least superior to the cheap mid size sedans.
You say you're not trolling, let's go with that based on large number of your posts, but you can't be serious about comparing handling of these right ?

Yes, even 528 with base suspension handles better than Mazda 6 and Accord (and even "new and improved" Camry while we're at it)
I am honestly not sure. I should probably go test drive both. But so many folks complain how the f10 is big, heavy, soft, etc., it seems like even the cheaper, lighter mid size sedans could keep up with it in the handling the department. Good to hear that the f10 is still better than anything else that size except older generation five series.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2015, 09:41 PM   #25
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535i 6sp. DHP/RWD

Quote:
I am honestly not sure. I should probably go test drive both.
Well I'm sure, trust me What's next, you'll compare Civic Si and Corola S to your car? Save yourself time on that potential test drive. And really chances someone is cross shopping those with 5 series are slim to none. Cars you mentioned cannot touch this in terms of weight distribution, low end torque, transmission, cornering, handling limits and pretty much never running out of steam accelerating, no matter what speed. Then there's looks, interior fit and finish... etc..

Quote:
But so many folks complain how the f10 is big, heavy, soft, etc., it seems like even the cheaper, lighter mid size sedans could keep up with it in the handling the department..
I think lot of folks come with unrealistic expectations, and pick wrong suspension/options. Base suspension is a bit on soft side comparing what previous owners might be used to, or what folks coming from 3 series might expect. If you get all the right options, M sport suspension or DHP, it's a fantastic car. It is not as fast and nimble as say, your 335i, but it's a fantastic, still fast, smooth, effortless and great handling sedan. All that and simply incredible long distance cruiser. And this is where many get it wrong in my opinion. BMW didn't make it slightly different because they didn't know how to "get it right". They designed it to be different on purpose, otherwise all they'd need in their lineup would be 335i, M3 and a random SUV

Quote:
Good to hear that the f10 is still better than anything else that size except older generation five series
I can't reliably say that's the case, I can only offer you personal opinion.
For me A6 comes "oh-so-very close", E350 not in the same league, Lexus GS350 not quite as good, and someone else brought up Jaguar earlier in the thread as being better - can't comment as I haven't tried it.
Appreciate 1
      06-18-2015, 09:57 PM   #26
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

No FWD appliance can compare to any RWD sedan. Just look at the weight ratio; 60/40 will NEVER beat a 50/50 RWD car in the handling department.
Appreciate 0