2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding BimmerTech F10 Power Trunk Retrofit

02-09-2017, 04:10 PM   #1
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Arrow BimmerTech F10 Power Trunk Retrofit

Hi guys,

We have recently released our Power Trunk Retrofit for the F30 and it's been a great success. I am wondering how many of you might be interested in a similar retrofit kit for your 5-series (F10).
The F10 kit will not be exactly the same as the one we have for the F30 but it will work pretty much like factory installed or even better.

You will be able to open/close the trunk lid with:
- key fob (open/close)
- trunk handle (open)
- new button on the trunk lid (close)
- button on the dashboard (open/close)
- kick feature if the car has it (open)

The system will have the anti-pitch feature and you will be able to program it for how much the lid will open.

Here is an installation video for the F30 kit to give you an idea how the installation might look like. It won't be exactly the same in your F10 though.

Appreciate 0
      02-09-2017, 05:37 PM   #2
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Nice instructional video. Looks relatively easy; if one can turn a wrench.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2017, 09:14 AM   #3
ausfahrt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2001 325i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrys@BimmerTech View Post
Hi guys,

We have recently released our Power Trunk Retrofit for the F30 and it's been a great success. I am wondering how many of you might be interested in a similar retrofit kit for your 5-series (F10).
The F10 kit will not be exactly the same as the one we have for the F30 but it will work pretty much like factory installed or even better.

- key fob (open/close)
- trunk handle (open)

The system will have the anti-pitch feature and you will be able to program it for how much the lid will open.

Here is an installation video for the F30 kit to give you an idea how the installation might look like. It won't be exactly the same in your F10 though.

I'll be interested if it's reasonable.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2017, 05:08 PM   #4
marcuslee2032
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F10 535d

I'd definitely be interested also, as would my significant other for my car, as she finds it seriously hard work getting the trunk down compared to every other car we've had.

In fact even with a bunch of bells and whistles on my car, this is about the only one I've really been wanting to retrofit, but so far cost has been too prohibitive for me. And at this one looks like there's no coding required, or running wires all the way up to the front of the car either / sounds like a winner!

Last edited by marcuslee2032; 02-10-2017 at 05:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2017, 03:40 AM   #5
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Is there anyone who lives within 100 miles from Turnersville, NJ??
We could install this retrofit in your BMW so you can post your feedback here

Otherwise any good DIYer who would like to work with us to make an install video in exchange for a good deal?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2017, 09:14 AM   #6
Nelson@BimmerTech
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausfahrt View Post
I'll be interested if it's reasonable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcuslee2032 View Post
I'd definitely be interested also, as would my significant other for my car, as she finds it seriously hard work getting the trunk down compared to every other car we've had.

In fact even with a bunch of bells and whistles on my car, this is about the only one I've really been wanting to retrofit, but so far cost has been too prohibitive for me. And at this one looks like there's no coding required, or running wires all the way up to the front of the car either / sounds like a winner!
PM Sent.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2017, 09:08 AM   #7
quicksilv86
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 530d 2012 Pre LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrys@BimmerTech View Post
Hi guys,

- key fob (open/close)
- trunk handle (open)

I could be interessed too for my BMW pre LCI F11....
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2017, 11:59 AM   #8
marcuslee2032
Enlisted Member
Rep

Don't suppose anyone who's purchased has done the retrofit yet (as I've received my group buy kit, without specific instructions, and looking to undertake it).

FYI attached for the official retrofit which presumably should help?
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Retrofitting automatic trunk SA316.pdf (2.01 MB, 1843 views)
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2017, 05:47 PM   #9
marcuslee2032
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Don't suppose anyone who's purchased has done the retrofit yet (as I've received my group buy kit, without specific instructions, and looking to undertake it).

FYI attached for the official retrofit which presumably should help?
And another attachment for an official retrofit with a couple of other pics and descriptions in there.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf ????????????.pdf (1.32 MB, 672 views)
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2017, 08:27 PM   #10
AmooManiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i -> M2C -> 21 M5C

Wow, never thought that someone would actually put this much effort into this retrofit. I have this on my car from the factory and while it's a cool feature to use once in a while, it would be one of the last things I'd retrofit. I guess you always want what you don't have, and you take what you do have for granted!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2017, 09:55 PM   #11
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmooManiak View Post
Wow, never thought that someone would actually put this much effort into this retrofit. I have this on my car from the factory and while it's a cool feature to use once in a while, it would be one of the last things I'd retrofit. I guess you always want what you don't have, and you take what you do have for granted!
I use the power trunk every time we go shopping...
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2017, 10:36 PM   #12
AmooManiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i -> M2C -> 21 M5C

So you press the button instead of moving the trunk down with your hand once a week?

Sure, it's convenient when the option is there (I even have it coded to close via key fob) - I just don't think there's a big enough market for a retrofit like this since it's not a function that's used a lot. I'm assuming it's close to $1K, and I can think of a whole lot of other things I'd rather spend $1K on.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2017, 11:48 PM   #13
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmooManiak View Post
So you press the button instead of moving the trunk down with your hand once a week?

Sure, it's convenient when the option is there (I even have it coded to close via key fob) - I just don't think there's a big enough market for a retrofit like this since it's not a function that's used a lot. I'm assuming it's close to $1K, and I can think of a whole lot of other things I'd rather spend $1K on.
You must not know my wife
I actually use it anytime I need access into the trunk. VERY convenient with at least one full hand...
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2017, 12:43 AM   #14
JMack2688
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 535xi

I'd be more interested in comfort access retrofit for the f10! Please!
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2017, 10:07 AM   #15
marcuslee2032
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
You must not know my wife
I actually use it anytime I need access into the trunk. VERY convenient with at least one full hand...
+1 to the wife side of things. My wife is a lot shorter/smaller than myself, and I have no idea what they were thinking with the F10, but she's virtually swinging off that thing to get it to begin the swing down on the lid. Enough that she's really done with it/it's a proper complaint from her.

(She has an E60 and previously we've had an E46, and within the immediate family it's a variety of Merc E-classes, and other E60's, E39s etc, and Audi's, and it's the same from everyone - why is that lid sprung with that much tension (which I also concede, even though it's my car))!
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2017, 04:27 PM   #16
marcuslee2032
Enlisted Member
Rep

Hi Guys,

So anyone doing this retrofit, and not had to do this kind of work before / undo any of the F10 lining etc before, having now done it, some comments:
- just follow the F30 video for how it all connects up, and the pdf's on the thread for how it pertains to the F10

- like the guides say, get some trim tools if you don't have any, they're a boon for the low price you pay, but also a lot of the plastic rivet type pulls are recessed, so you'd have a heck of a time trying to do it with just screwdriver and pliers

- where it talks about removing this bumper cover, and it comes off "pretty hard":

What's going on is that the mould has 4 plastic pins, which ideally if you could just lift the piece vertically off, it would just lift off. But with the rubber there, it kinda has to come out at an angle. So just some cajoling sort of like when you remove the wood/aluminium dashboard trim, does the trick:

- As I don't have a star socket set, I didn't have this in my arsenal of tools, and there was no way I could get this thing off, nor as I figured, was it practical to leave it in place for the purpose of what needed getting to etc:

But £14 at Halfords did the trick:

- Also FYI it's keyed, so rotate it 90 degrees to get it out (pic shows the screw back in, as I put screws back in so I don't loose them)

- in the trunk lid, the two screws directly under the toolkit, are actually screwheads, easy to miss:

- oh and these flipping plastic things holding the lid trim in place, I have no idea how they got it off in the F30 video (nor anyone else for that matter) without stripping the head. I've got a dozen of different screwdriver bits, and could not get one to do the job with the plastic disintegrating. Worst still even when I got one to bite, without stripping it, the screw wasn't unscrewing (as if it was threaded). They surely are the worst things ever devised. Anyway out of necessity, I had to resort to pliers to rotate these things, which actually I'd recommend if you want to save them (they don't require a lot of force):

- unlike the pdfs, on my preLCI F10, you don't push in at the arrows:

you pull, and actually this is what's holding it in place (after you pop the two corners, the whole lining comes down and out):

Pic of what the lining looks like:

- must have been during shipping, but this end cap, and inside nut came out, so before mounting, I added a cable tie around it:

- also unlike the F30, I couldn't mount mine on the right side of the trunk, as the ball joints were orientated opposite to what's shown on the F30 video, and it simply wouldn't fit. So it had to go on the left side:

- also don't worry, the cable is more than long enough to reach back over (I cable tied mine to the existing loom):

- don't forget, when you're pulling the cables through the lid support tube, go from bottom up with the cable with the fuse holder, as the fuse holder won't fit through:

I think it takes little over half a day to get it all done, though at the moment I've left mine a bit undone, as mine doesn't work properly (it doesn't open fully for some reason at the top of the travel, and also 1 out of 3 or 5 times when you have it open, for some reason it'll open but then close again) - ticket opened with BimmerTech.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 03:22 PM   #17
marcuslee2032
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I think it takes little over half a day to get it all done, though at the moment I've left mine a bit undone, as mine doesn't work properly (it doesn't open fully for some reason at the top of the travel, and also 1 out of 3 or 5 times when you have it open, for some reason it'll open but then close again) - ticket opened with BimmerTech.
FYI for the travel bit, info back from Maciej at BimmerTech (which worked for me):
Setting up how far up the trunk lid should open to:
Manually set the trunk lid on the place you want to open and hold it there. Then press and hold the close button (in idle mode it should be backlit orange) and wait until it flashes (about 5 seconds).

Now just need to hear back on why it closes after opening again!
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2018, 06:57 AM   #18
ausfahrt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2001 325i Touring

Quote:
FYI for the travel bit, info back from Maciej at BimmerTech (which worked for me):
Setting up how far up the trunk lid should open to:
Manually set the trunk lid on the place you want to open and hold it there. Then press and hold the close button (in idle mode it should be backlit orange) and wait until it flashes (about 5 seconds).

Now just need to hear back on why it closes after opening again!
Does your trunk lid open all the way? I'm in the process in installing this but ran into an issue with the motored spring.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2018, 09:57 AM   #19
marcuslee2032
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausfahrt View Post
Does your trunk lid open all the way? I'm in the process in installing this but ran into an issue with the motored spring.
Yes it did open all the way.... but FYI since the post, we rolled back the BimmerTech one and I paid the full amount for the OEM.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2018, 11:25 AM   #20
Maciej@BimmerTech
Banned
Rep
Drives: Subaru

Quote:
Yes it did open all the way.... but FYI since the post, we rolled back the BimmerTech one and I paid the full amount for the OEM.
Wasn't that fun? I hope it is working flawless.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2018, 09:29 AM   #21
marcuslee2032
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maciej@BimmerTech View Post
Wasn't that fun? I hope it is working flawless.
Hi Maciej! Long time no speak! Hmm not sure if fun is the word I'd have used, however it OEM one is working now, and indeed no issues :-D (And I'm still eyeing a surround view installation at some point)...
Appreciate 0