2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications F10 Clutch Delay Valve delete CDV

09-03-2015, 02:24 PM   #23
sagaboy3
Rep
Drives: 2012 550i 6MT

Just ordered mine very excited, I did this to my old E39 540 and it was great !!!
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2018, 08:27 AM   #24
ZRsaad
Car # 7
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 F10 550i

so.... I've owned the 2011 550i for almost four years now... it's 6 Speed with 49k miles now. just decided it's not worth selling because of the amount of money it's depreciated. adding 3rd party warranty and going to start performance modding. wanted to do the JB4 so I can do the e85 30% mix with 93 and get 500 hp... what else should I do.. short shifter worth it? I see the cdv valve mod has mixed reviews
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2018, 09:26 AM   #25
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZRsaad View Post
so.... I've owned the 2011 550i for almost four years now... it's 6 Speed with 49k miles now. just decided it's not worth selling because of the amount of money it's depreciated. adding 3rd party warranty and going to start performance modding. wanted to do the JB4 so I can do the e85 30% mix with 93 and get 500 hp... what else should I do.. short shifter worth it? I see the cdv valve mod has mixed reviews
My opinion best mods for the F10

If you want you clutch to live longer the CDV delete is an excellent mod. Be sure to bleed the brakes.

You can stick 2.5-3 gallons of e85 in the tank without a tune.

JB4 is your best option since there is no flash for your model.

Turbo upgrades depending on your budget.

Removing runflats for regular tires

Upgrading your sways

Personal fav; Sprint Booster

#1 upgrade get an F10 M5
535i MIssion Performance, PS2, Helix HPFP Kit, Wagner FMIC, Spec 3 clutch, Steel SMF, Wolf Racing CP, UUC SSK, GFB dv, SprintBooster, Custom Dynomax Exhaust, M5 Sways, Eibach OE Springs, Koni Sports Adjustable, Custom Short Ram CAI

IG: @bmwdoubles
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2018, 11:12 AM   #26
ey2001
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10 535i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw doubles View Post
Quote:

If you want you clutch to live longer the CDV delete is an excellent mod. Be sure to bleed the brakes.

Upgrading your sways

#1 upgrade get an F10 M5
Bleed the clutch And add bms clutch stop...

http://www.burgertuning.com/clutch_stop_BMW.html
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2018, 02:44 AM   #27
windowmaker
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 550i M Sport 6MT

Quote:

Upgrading your sways

#1 upgrade get an F10 M5
Did the CDV delete, sprint booster, Michelin pilot sports 4S (non-runflats) in the front, steel braided brake lines, and EBC yellow track pads.

Gotta be dumb adding power to a 4300lb beast without doing something to the brakes. Will be tracking at the end of this month to see if it's enough - had complete loss of braking power at PIR last time. If it doesn't work out I'll be considering a CEIKA BBK in the future.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2018, 08:03 AM   #28
whinojosa
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i (6sp)

Garage List
2011 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Has anyone done the diy themselves to remove the CDV entirely? I had my 535i up the other day to do manual transmission fluid and differential fluid and was able to see the CDV but it didn't look like the lines on either side plugged in to each other. Can anyone verify that the lines plug right in to each other when CDV is removed?

I did this on my old E46 and my old E90 so I'm very familiar with the actual DIY.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2018, 08:47 AM   #29
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by whinojosa View Post
Has anyone done the diy themselves to remove the CDV entirely? I had my 535i up the other day to do manual transmission fluid and differential fluid and was able to see the CDV but it didn't look like the lines on either side plugged in to each other. Can anyone verify that the lines plug right in to each other when CDV is removed?

I did this on my old E46 and my old E90 so I'm very familiar with the actual DIY.
What year is yours? And yes it should.
535i MIssion Performance, PS2, Helix HPFP Kit, Wagner FMIC, Spec 3 clutch, Steel SMF, Wolf Racing CP, UUC SSK, GFB dv, SprintBooster, Custom Dynomax Exhaust, M5 Sways, Eibach OE Springs, Koni Sports Adjustable, Custom Short Ram CAI

IG: @bmwdoubles
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2018, 02:24 PM   #30
whinojosa
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i (6sp)

Garage List
2011 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Thanks. It's a 2011 MY. I'll take a look at it again when I change engine oil after I fix the Oil Filter Housing Gasket ("OFHG").
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 02:30 PM   #31
termit
Registered
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 520d 2015 MANUAL

Thumbs up

Hello,

I did CDV modification today, fully worth it! I ordered a modified valve from www.sound-pressure.de and they helped me to choose the right one. I bought my car 3 months ago and soon started to google the problem. CDV was the answer to the gear shifting issue. You get back the feeling on the pedal which is a must for smooth shifting

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jviqwdnzk...d8VnnTdpa?dl=0

Last edited by termit; 12-16-2018 at 02:57 PM.. Reason: Pictures added
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 06:22 PM   #32
jonobro
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw f10 535i

Quote:
Quote:

Upgrading your sways

#1 upgrade get an F10 M5
Why spring booster ? Thinking about adding it since my throttle response is sorta off I feel like and hesitates at time think sprint would solve ?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 06:23 PM   #33
jonobro
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by termit View Post
Hello,

I did CDV modification today, fully worth it! I ordered a modified valve from www.sound-pressure.de and they helped me to choose the right one. I bought my car 3 months ago and soon started to google the problem. CDV was the answer to the gear shifting issue. You get back the feeling on the pedal which is a must for smooth shifting

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jviqwdnzk...d8VnnTdpa?dl=0
Can you send me link to purchase ? And what did this help with exactly ?!
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 12:34 AM   #34
termit
Registered
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonobro View Post
https://www.sound-pressure.de/BMW-Drosselventil-CDV-21526765120_1

But check with them by sending your VIN first. Website is in german but they email in english with no hassle.

It helps you with shifting I thought something is wrong with me until I did that. BMW started to mount this to protect the cardan axle and rear diff from unexperienced drivers. It does really protect if you cannot shift, but:

1. No feeling of clutch pedal at all, feels "digital"
2. Clutch itselfs wears faster.

I guess for BMW still OK to potentially change clutch on warranty rather then diff...

So, there is a good reading from 1-serie forum:

https://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209440

I would say: do it, if you know what this is about and if it really disturbes you. Otherwise, if you've been driving that far without permanent thinking about selling your car, let it be. For me this simple modification was fully worth it and made that I still want this car rather than automatic
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 12:44 AM   #35
windowmaker
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 550i M Sport 6MT

Quote:
It actuates the clutch faster instead of lagging behind - imagine it like input delay for your clutch. Your release with CDV is slooower by just a bit to make you feel like you're making mistakes so you adapt your shifting style to shift more like grandma. Most modern manual have them, and if you're confident with your shifting and remove it you'll feel like you're finally able to shift smoothly.

I got this one when I did it
https://www.zeckhausen.com/catalog/p...oducts_id=8513

At some point they offered a discount if you ship them back the original. You know why? Because this piece is literally a modified version of the CDV valve, with the middle drilled through instead of acting as a bottleneck. You can do the same thing by taking your OEM CDV and drilling it out.

Not sure if it's possible to just remove the CDV and connect adjoining lines directly, but another reason people buy this is to get the stealth look so outside looking in you can't tell the car has been modified, which helps you preserve your drivetrain warranty.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 01:19 AM   #36
jonobro
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by windowmaker View Post
Quote:
It actuates the clutch faster instead of lagging behind - imagine it like input delay for your clutch. Your release with CDV is slooower by just a bit to make you feel like you're making mistakes so you adapt your shifting style to shift more like grandma. Most modern manual have them, and if you're confident with your shifting and remove it you'll feel like you're finally able to shift smoothly.

I got this one when I did it
https://www.zeckhausen.com/catalog/p...oducts_id=8513

At some point they offered a discount if you ship them back the original. You know why? Because this piece is literally a modified version of the CDV valve, with the middle drilled through instead of acting as a bottleneck. You can do the same thing by taking your OEM CDV and drilling it out.

Not sure if it's possible to just remove the CDV and connect adjoining lines directly, but another reason people buy this is to get the stealth look so outside looking in you can't tell the car has been modified, which helps you preserve your drivetrain warranty.
Just to confirm this is for cars only with clutch correct ?
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 01:35 AM   #37
termit
Registered
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Just to confirm this is for cars only with clutch correct ?
Yes, stick shift only.

Feels really tight without CDV!
Appreciate 0