2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes Suspension advice needed

04-10-2016, 04:24 AM   #1
2tek
Daddy Wagon
Ireland
Rep
Drives: G31

Suspension advice needed

I lowered my car on Acs Springs last year and I think I might have a bad shocks in the front passenger corner. The vehicle just feels a bit weird to my left. It's a RHD BMW 520d F10.

I'm getting it looked at later this week.

Just wanted to know the difference between the term coilover and suspension kits.

I see folks giving great reviews about the KW V2.

If I need to change the shocks I don't think I should replace it with bmw stocks as they are not really engineered for lowering Springs.

The KW V2 are like €1500 rrp on the website.

What are my other options? Are there shocks absorbers that I can match with the Acs Springs already installed if I don't want to change everything to coilovers?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2016, 07:29 PM   #2
PJinCA
USAF Pararescue Veteran
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535

Best option: Get KW coilovers.
Better option: Some members here have changed their OEM shocks for Koni or Bilstein - these tend to be better quality than OEM and should be able to deal with lowering springs. The OEM ones are Sachs, so not bad quality, but part of the reason I always look for alternatives when I need to replace something on my cars is that OEM sounds great - but all cars are built to a budget. An OEM supplier is simply a supplier that met the minimum engineering specs for the lowest price. This is true of any car from Kia to Ferrari.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2016, 08:51 AM   #3
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Any lowering spring is going to blow your stock shocks. I have a mild drop Eibach OE 1" front 0.8" rear and it blew out my stock setup in 2 days. You have to get shocks that are meant for lowered springs for example Koni sports or I think for Bilstien it's the B6 or B7. It's very specific. I know someone who got the Koni FSD on lowering springs and blew them out in less than a month. Or get coilovers. I've seen coilovers go from 800 - 1300 and shocks for lowering springs from 750 - 1000.
535i MIssion Performance, PS2, Helix HPFP Kit, Wagner FMIC, Spec 3 clutch, Steel SMF, Wolf Racing CP, UUC SSK, GFB dv, SprintBooster, Custom Dynomax Exhaust, M5 Sways, Eibach OE Springs, Koni Sports Adjustable, Custom Short Ram CAI

IG: @bmwdoubles
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 01:37 AM   #4
eduardomi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 e93 M3 Jerez Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw doubles View Post
Any lowering spring is going to blow your stock shocks. I have a mild drop Eibach OE 1" front 0.8" rear and it blew out my stock setup in 2 days. You have to get shocks that are meant for lowered springs for example Koni sports or I think for Bilstien it's the B6 or B7. It's very specific. I know someone who got the Koni FSD on lowering springs and blew them out in less than a month. Or get coilovers. I've seen coilovers go from 800 - 1300 and shocks for lowering springs from 750 - 1000.

Question: So getting coilovers is always a better option than getting lowering springs and matching shocks for those springs, right?

I read somewhere that all coilovers (or most) are made by the same factory in Korea and/or in different factories but with the same parts; from Megan to KW.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 06:48 AM   #5
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Megan's, BC, KSport are a few I believe are all from the same factory and restamped. But there are some coilovers made in Tawain like D2, Omni's. The ST's are sister company from KW produced out of Sanger, CA which I read basically is the same design but not corrosion resistant? I could be wrong tho? KW's are produced in Germany...Swabian town Fichtenberg to be exact. For the most part coilovers are spring matched to the shock assembly with some having the options of dampening control. With lowering springs it's ideal to match them with the right shocks whether it's Koni's or Bilsteins's
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg

Last edited by lsturbointeg; 04-14-2016 at 07:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 05:41 PM   #6
2tek
Daddy Wagon
Ireland
Rep

I rang Acs and asked them if they any recommendations in terms of shocks to match their Springs, they said they always recommend the Oem and I informed them that it's blown already. They said they will cover a replacement if BMW doesn't do it under warranty.

I have an appointment with BMW on Monday to see if it's the shocks.

Now I'm more confused. If my car was out of warranty I would have gone KW instantly but I've still got a year left.

In terms of the KW which is recommended for a daily driver with no intention of racing. The V1, V2 or Street Comfort?

My requirements will be comfort, handling and lowering.

I have also looked at Koni Sports Yellows, the four will cost €820 here.

KW V1 is €1269
KW Street comfort is €1499
KW V2 is €1579
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 07:27 AM   #7
2tek
Daddy Wagon
Ireland
Rep

Took the car to the garage today, and they said that the two front shocks are gone and need to be changed. Car is still under warranty and they will cover it.

Thinking to go with that option for now, since I'm still under warranty. Dunno how long it will last for with my ACS springs though .

I will ask them about the KW coilovers when I pick up the car later as they don't have the parts in stock yet.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 07:47 AM   #8
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tek View Post
Took the car to the garage today, and they said that the two front shocks are gone and need to be changed. Car is still under warranty and they will cover it.

Thinking to go with that option for now, since I'm still under warranty. Dunno how long it will last for with my ACS springs though .

I will ask them about the KW coilovers when I pick up the car later as they don't have the parts in stock yet.
so really?! BMW is honoring the warranty for the shocks even tho you put lowering springs? usually they will blame your lowering springs for blowing out the shocks. i guess go with OEM for the time being since they're replacing it but eventually those OEM shocks are gonna take a toll so Bilstein's or Koni's if you decide to keep the ACS springs or go KW's later?
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2016, 12:35 AM   #9
2tek
Daddy Wagon
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
so really?! BMW is honoring the warranty for the shocks even tho you put lowering springs? usually they will blame your lowering springs for blowing out the shocks. i guess go with OEM for the time being since they're replacing it but eventually those OEM shocks are gonna take a toll so Bilstein's or Koni's if you decide to keep the ACS springs or go KW's later?
Yup. No questions asked and I didn't say anything about it. I went to the most benign dealership around. Like I knew this day will come.

Hopefully OEM dampers gives me another 15000 miles. Will wait till warranty expires before changing to KW or Konis.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2016, 02:06 PM   #10
dadysev
Captain
Montenegro
Rep
Drives: Man

Had my Dinan in since last summer with the EDC shocks, and all still fine after about 5k miles on it.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 09:02 AM   #11
2tek
Daddy Wagon
Ireland
Rep

New front shocks were installed by BMW on Friday.
I immediately noticed after pulling out of the garage that the rear ones now feel weaker.

BMW garage said they were not worn out when they inspected the car. Anyways I've requested that they change the rear ones too but they trying to be stubborn.

Got another appointment this Friday with them
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 03:49 PM   #12
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

let's see em!
Appreciate 0