2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding KAFAS Issues + Overheating - Can it be permanently disabled?

05-15-2023, 09:34 PM   #1
ICBMW
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 550i M Sport

KAFAS Issues + Overheating - Can it be permanently disabled?

Here in AZ, it's already in the 100s and temps will keep climbing. This BMW I just picked up seems to be plagued with non-stop KAFAS errors, which per a conversation with a local dealer, can be normal due to the climate here. ISTA+ logs many errors and most of the time includes a fault for excessive heat for the camera. ISTA also says to replace the Camera and KAFAS module, but I don't think that will solve anything.

Is it possible to just disable KAFAS via programming? I don't care about the Lane Departure, Collision warning, etc. Otherwise, anyone else encounter the same issue and what steps did you do to mitigate? Thank you.
      05-16-2023, 08:41 AM   #2
SWFLf10
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpina B6, 2015 535i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnie335 View Post
Here in AZ, it's already in the 100s and temps will keep climbing. This BMW I just picked up seems to be plagued with non-stop KAFAS errors, which per a conversation with a local dealer, can be normal due to the climate here. ISTA+ logs many errors and most of the time includes a fault for excessive heat for the camera. ISTA also says to replace the Camera and KAFAS module, but I don't think that will solve anything.

Is it possible to just disable KAFAS via programming? I don't care about the Lane Departure, Collision warning, etc. Otherwise, anyone else encounter the same issue and what steps did you do to mitigate? Thank you.
You can code out the options by using E-sys to remove the VO codes that are related to those options. This should effectively make the car think it doesn’t have those features installed. Same way people retrofit features and code them in, just in reverse.

I believe I replied to your other thread about the issue, but I have never once had an issue with the system in my 5 series, and I’ve put over 100,000 miles on my car traveling the country for work. I have had intermittent issues with my 6 series when driving directly into the sun on a clear hot day, and want to correct the issue in that car. This makes me believe it’s just a component failing, not something we have to live with. (I hope).

I don’t believe it’s a flaw that just exists, I don’t see enough people complaining about it for me to belive it’s normal operation issue in hot sunny areas, and not due to a failing component.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2023, 11:10 AM   #3
ICBMW
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 550i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFLf10 View Post
You can code out the options by using E-sys to remove the VO codes that are related to those options. This should effectively make the car think it doesn’t have those features installed. Same way people retrofit features and code them in, just in reverse.

I believe I replied to your other thread about the issue, but I have never once had an issue with the system in my 5 series, and I’ve put over 100,000 miles on my car traveling the country for work. I have had intermittent issues with my 6 series when driving directly into the sun on a clear hot day, and want to correct the issue in that car. This makes me believe it’s just a component failing, not something we have to live with. (I hope).

I don’t believe it’s a flaw that just exists, I don’t see enough people complaining about it for me to belive it’s normal operation issue in hot sunny areas, and not due to a failing component.
Thank you so much for your valuable input. Yes, I agree.. I don't see many other complaints about it which makes me feel good that a replacement part can fix it (either Windshield, KAFAS Module or Camera - none of which are cheap unfortunately). That will be my first route but if all else fails, I will disable those features temporarily.

Any ESYS tips for a newb? I am viewing this video now, but I still need to find the codes and how to delete them.

05-20-2023, 12:39 PM   #4
SWFLf10
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpina B6, 2015 535i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICBMW View Post
Thank you so much for your valuable input. Yes, I agree.. I don't see many other complaints about it which makes me feel good that a replacement part can fix it (either Windshield, KAFAS Module or Camera - none of which are cheap unfortunately). That will be my first route but if all else fails, I will disable those features temporarily.

Any ESYS tips for a newb? I am viewing this video now, but I still need to find the codes and how to delete them.
I don’t have any real tips for ISTA. I start with google and YouTube, and poke around for a bit to get my bearings in the program. The more you look around in there and the more you research the easier it becomes to use.
Appreciate 0