2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Interior light

11-26-2011, 03:07 PM   #1
Madmcs
Rep
Drives: G20 330e M-Sport Plus Edition

Interior light

Hi

I have a Sept 11 build 520d M-sport and noticed a very strange software issue with the interior light. This being my first BMW, I noticed that when you turn the ignition off the interior light doesn't come on automatically until you open the car door, therefore you can never see you car keys at night until the car door is open.

However, the other day the interior light did come on and at first I couldnt figure out what had changed. I then realised that most of the time I disable the auto ignition off feature, so when I pull onto the driveway, I turn the ignition off manually. On this occasion I had left the feature enabled and car turned the ignition off itself before I pressed the off button. If this happens, the interior light does come on as the button is pressed.

Has anybody else noticed this, or is it unique to my car?

Many thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2011, 04:14 PM   #2
Breach
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F10 520dA M Sport

When I turn off the ignition interior lights always come on automatically. I have ambient lighting, but I don't think this has anything to do with it. When you turn off the ignition are your lights set to Auto? Also try switching welcome lights on - they're on in my case (not sure whether related).

Update: Also check whether courtesy delay function is set to a value > 0 secs.
Update 2: One more variable - I also have DRL turned on - from what I read on another forum the interior lights come on on ignition off if the headlights were on before you turned the ignition off... Not sure whether DRL on/Auto lights counts, but that's my case and it always works. Source:

http://www.e38.org/E38-Options.pdf
"The interior light automatically turns on when ignition is switched off after driving with headlights on (if active)." <- if active means if coded properly so if all else fails (see below) it might be a configuration issue.

Give it a try with lights at Auto, DRL, Courtesy delay and welcome lights on in settings - then you can find the culprit by eliminating one at a time. Cheers.

Last edited by Breach; 11-26-2011 at 04:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2011, 05:33 AM   #3
Breach
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Just to let you know that I tested today my own advice and whatever the settings the interior lamp always turns on on ignition off. Give it a try still, but if it still doesn't work then it's likely that it is:

a) An OBC configuration issue - go to your dealer and ask
b) Possibly a bad fuse
c) Something else (helpful, eh ;-)

Good luck.

Last edited by Breach; 11-27-2011 at 05:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2011, 02:03 PM   #4
gicamuci
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 535ix

Garage List
(IF) You drive with headlights ON (which normally means outside natural light is low), you come to a stop, you turn engine OFF, the inside lights will come ON. Otherwise inside lights will stay off.

This behavior is way back from older BMWs (E28 or so). It is NOT related to the outside natural light, but just to the headlight switch.

1. Ignition ON + Headlights ON -> Ignition OFF = Inside lights ON
2. Ignition ON + Headlights OFF -> Ignition OFF = Inside lights OFF
      11-27-2011, 02:15 PM   #5
Madmcs
Rep

Thanks for the detailed replies.

Breach, I tested some of things you said this evening and it made no difference at all so I think I have a fault. In the lights menu, all three settings are enabled (3 flash indicators, welcome lights and day time running lights). I have the welcome lights configured to 60 seconds. Headlights are always set to auto.

Tonight i even turned my headlights of off and then let auto stop/start kick in, then turn ignition off.... Interior light came on perfectly.

I'm sure I have a configuration issue from what you have both said so I'll take it to the dealer.

Many thanks once again.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2011, 02:22 PM   #6
Breach
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

@gicamuci, and so I thought, but while testing today I found out that with ignition (and engine) on and lights off (switch at 0 position, DRL turned off from settings) on turning the ignition off the interior light was still switching on, like always. Go figure.

@Madmcs, good luck - my car doesn't have the auto-ignition off function could be related, but anyway - let us know what happened after you have it checked. Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 08:17 AM   #7
Madmcs
Rep

Thanks Breach, I went to dealers and i've got it sorted. It's all because when you press the start/stop button on the dashboard to turn the ignition off it effectively puts the ignition to Aux 1, therefore the ignition is not off. If you release your foot off the brake and press the button again then the ignition is turned off and the interior light comes on.

With the auto stop/start, when the car comes to a stop and the ignition automatically goes off, the car is effectively in Aux 1 position which is why the interior light comes on when you press the button in that circumstance.

Makes perfect sense when someone explains to you.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 10:45 AM   #8
Breach
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Glad it's sorted out - I always turn the ignition off after putting the car in P/brake and having lifted my foot off the break pedal which explains why it works for me.
Appreciate 0