2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Does the 5 series have predictive braking?

03-31-2013, 10:26 PM   #1
ErnestHouse
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i GT

Does the 5 series have predictive braking?

aka collision avoidance braking? I know the Active Cruise control with start/stop will stop the car while following but will it stop the car when you aren't using cruise control?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 01:06 AM   #2
K-A
Nice
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S SportDesign

Good question. I got REALLY close to rear ending somebody (was tinkering with iDrive like an idiot).... like so close that in my head I had already envisioned smashing my cars front up and wondering just how bad it'll be, and the car stopped incredibly.... it felt like a whole different braking system kicked in from what I had assumed would be the maximum stopping force of the braking system I'm so used to on this car now. Either my own instincts to push that brake pedal in really properly put it to the floor or the car helped me out.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 07:16 AM   #3
L7AS
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 F10 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-A View Post
Good question. I got REALLY close to rear ending somebody (was tinkering with iDrive like an idiot).... like so close that in my head I had already envisioned smashing my cars front up and wondering just how bad it'll be, and the car stopped incredibly.... it felt like a whole different braking system kicked in from what I had assumed would be the maximum stopping force of the braking system I'm so used to on this car now. Either my own instincts to push that brake pedal in really properly put it to the floor or the car helped me out.
+1
same thing happened to me too!
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 07:32 AM   #4
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

If you guys mean Collision Warning with Full Auto Braking, then no, the F10 does not. It kind of silly in my opinion, if you get the auto cruise option, all the equipment is already in the car for Collision Warning with Full Auto Brake, why not just spend recode a few lines of software and add the option
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 07:35 AM   #5
ErnestHouse
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Question

Interesting, that describes what I see in the Audi/Bosch demonstration video except the system gives a visual and audible warning then does the uber braking if the driver doesn't brake hard enough. Volvo goes all the way and will stop the car without driver intervention at speeds under 30.

Coincidently in today's news, predictive braking might have been real handy in this fog induced pile up on I-95:
http://www.autospies.com/news/95-Veh...On-I-77-75408/

I can only find the Cruise control part of the system in BMW specs and information so it looks like there is no collision avoidance while not in cruise control. Does anyone know for sure if the BMW implementation includes the intelligent braking at least?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 08:59 AM   #6
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

This is nice in theory, but I can see glitches happening if BMW codes it. Example, if a large rodent runs across the road, I would rather run it over than causing a pile up accident behind me. That's because most cars don't have better stopping distances compared to the BMW/Audi of the world.

On the fog incident, this system wouldn't change anything unless "all cars" have this system.

If BMW offers this as an option, I wouldn't buy. Just use your common sense, it's cheaper. Don't drive fast during a fog, use the 1 car per 10mph rule when following another car, don't over drive your headlights at night, and assume people are color blind at stop light intersections.

I use the rules above when riding my motorcycle and apply it to everyday driving.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 09:55 AM   #7
ErnestHouse
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Actually, it appears to be there already. Attached screen shot is the popup in the configurator: "The Stop & Go feature includes Forward Collision Warning which sounds an alert if you are approaching a vehicle too quickly". I believe the system won't emergency brake unless the driver responds so the cats, dogs, rodents and iguanas are still gonna die.

Please spare us the lecture about following distances and I'll spare you mine about motorcycles. :-) Seriously, some of us recognize the reality of driving today, can afford these things and and want the safety they provide.

Last edited by ErnestHouse; 04-01-2013 at 04:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 09:57 AM   #8
ErnestHouse
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

forgot attachment. Interestingly, the extra sentence is only on the popup and not the Active Cruise Control Page here:
http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...nvenience.aspx
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 10:08 AM   #9
ErnestHouse
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks to all who posted....Now that I know what to search on for BMW, I answered my own question. Seems it's been there in 6 series since MY 2009 and the 5 later:
Excerpted from http://www.edmunds.com/car-safety/te...to-happen.html

BMW
The 2009 BMW 5 Series offers Active Cruise Control (ACC) with Stop & Go that will completely stop the car in stop-and-go traffic while cruise is engaged, and automatically speed it up when traffic starts moving again. The feature is also available on 2009 7 Series vehicles, along with a collision warning system (CWS) that uses the ACC's radar sensor to detect whether a driver is in danger of colliding with the vehicle in front. A warning appears in the instrument panel as well as in the vehicle's optional head-up display.

If the driver doesn't slow the car in time, warnings flash and an alarm sounds and the brakes are prepared for an emergency. CWS is active even if ACC is turned off, and it has two sensitivity settings: one that issues more warning and one that issues less.

Last edited by ErnestHouse; 04-01-2013 at 04:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 01:26 PM   #10
ErnestHouse
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I took delivery recently and confirmed it does in fact come to a full stop. It starts braking about a second later than you would and chomps down hard at the end if you do nothing. I've done it from 40 mph. It also resumes with the car in front and kicks on ASS as needed. I can't believe home less stressful driving has become with this feature.
Appreciate 0