2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum clicking sound coming from behind dash

04-01-2017, 02:01 PM   #1
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

clicking sound coming from behind dash

MY16 535i. I'm hearing a clicking sound thats coming from behind dash. Seems to only occur when a/c is on. Sound changes pitch when I adjust the dash a/c vents so it seems it's coming from the a/c. It comes and goes and sometimes I hear rapid succession of clicks then silence for several minutes.

Doesn't seem to be leaves in fan motor as I've heard that sound before.

I discussed with shop foreman and he's willing to dig into it. Sounds like first step is to r&r fan motor and make sure it's not coming from there. He tells me if it's not, next step is to remove dash and check actuators on vent box. Sounds like a big job and wondering if I should just live with the clicking if it's not the fan.

Thoughts? Anyone experience same?
      04-02-2017, 01:46 AM   #2
graphite
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 528xi

Sounds like a damper actuator in the HVAC system might be binding, causing it to click when it attempts to move.
      04-02-2017, 06:11 AM   #3
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by graphite
Sounds like a damper actuator in the HVAC system might be binding, causing it to click when it attempts to move.
That's what I'm afraid it is. In told this requires dash removal for repair. I'm concerned about new problems while I try to resolve this problem. Of course dealer says we do this everyday.....
      04-02-2017, 07:20 AM   #4
cartechfreak
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' Dark Graphite 528i

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
MY16 535i. I'm hearing a clicking sound thats coming from behind dash. Seems to only occur when a/c is on. Sound changes pitch when I adjust the dash a/c vents so it seems it's coming from the a/c. It comes and goes and sometimes I hear rapid succession of clicks then silence for several minutes.

I discussed with shop foreman and he's willing to dig into it. Sounds like first step is to r&r fan motor and make sure it's not coming from there. He tells me if it's not, next step is to remove dash and check actuators on vent box. Sounds like a big job and wondering if I should just live with the clicking if it's not the fan.

Did u have any thermostat replacement recently ?
      04-02-2017, 10:44 PM   #5
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartechfreak
Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post

Did u have any thermostat replacement recently ?
No. Only service on car has been oil and iStep level updated to address trunk not always opening fully.

clicking occured before and after service.
      04-04-2017, 10:43 AM   #6
808_F10
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F10 535i M Sport

I've heard clicking in my 535 before but was not sure what it was... after reading your description, I suspect I've got the same issue. I haven't noticed it lately but maybe I've become used to it and tuned it out. I'll have to listen for it again, and also try to see if I can get the pitch to change when adjusting the dash vents. (You're talking about the wheels that adjust the dash vent temperature between hot/cold, right?)
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2017, 05:15 AM   #7
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808_F10
I've heard clicking in my 535 before but was not sure what it was... after reading your description, I suspect I've got the same issue. I haven't noticed it lately but maybe I've become used to it and tuned it out. I'll have to listen for it again, and also try to see if I can get the pitch to change when adjusting the dash vents. (You're talking about the wheels that adjust the dash vent temperature between hot/cold, right?)
I adjust vents using the button with 2 arrows on the a/c control panel. switches from dash to floor to windshield, etc..
      08-02-2020, 12:34 PM   #8
JimmyChesh
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 528i black on black

I'm having an issue myself on my 16 528i of clicking coming from dash it's a repetitive sound described by 31 clicks the pause another click then another and repeat another 31 clicks forever! Im going crazy! I will give this car to next homeless person if he will take this nightmare noise?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2020, 03:22 PM   #9
M_Bimmer
Captain
Rep
Drives: G12 B7, G07 XB7, F02 B7, 991.1

If you really think it's one of your air distribution flaps, ISTA-D can help diagnose which stepper motor is not functioning correctly by LIN Address ID...LIN Address ID can be matched to position at newTIS.info's website.

All the flaps are serially on the LIN bus and any flaps after the bad flap won't work, very much like old Christmas lights.....

The lower footwell and rear compartment mixing flap motors are accessible w/o taking out the dash and can be replaced with the right tools....the defrost and ventilation flaps, will require the dash to be removed.

The biggest issue is the installation, and making sure that the motor is installed correctly relative to the flap position. I've removed my air distribution box from my car to change from 2-zone (or 2.5 zone) to 4-zone and can provide pictures upon request.
Appreciate 0