2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum just taken the plunge!

09-12-2010, 09:50 AM   #1
Dom
Private First Class
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 2013 520d SE space grey

just taken the plunge!

Hi folks,

I've just ordered a new 520D Se Auto for January delivery. I went for Space Grey with Oyster/Black interior, Ambient lighting, HiFi Professional ( 600w, 16 speakers) sport auto box, USB, heated seats.
What do you guys think of the colour choice - what is generally reckoned to look good inside and out?
Also, is the HiFi Professional system worth the extra money ( about €1000 )?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2010, 12:29 PM   #2
wessew10
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW X3; 2011 BMW 550i

Excellent color choice. I am considering the same. The HiFi Professional system is well worth the money if you appreciate high quality audio. I heard it last week and spent some time with different sources and it is very good. It features numerous control over the sound including a detailed equalizer.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2010, 12:35 PM   #3
fireman550
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 550

You are going to love it. get ready to turn some heads.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2010, 01:16 PM   #4
pmw103
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Dreaming of a F10

Hi Dom,
Great choice :-)
Well initially Dad chose Space Grey but Mum and I pursaded him to go for sophistico grey. He still thinks its too dark, he wanted a lighter colour but he is feeling better now because we saw a space grey with Oyster on the dealers lot last week and don't get me wrong it looked fine but the contrast was not as great, and space grey looked a little light with oyster. However its a personal thing. Did you manage to see a car in Sophistico grey ? If you didn't I would suggest seeing one before finalising the choice. Look closely at the xarlic paint it looks different in different lights, it can look almost black though sometimes. I am sure whatever you choose will look great.

Re the 677 professional audio, Dad and I listened to a standard F10 and were not that happy, we then listened to a 3 series with the audio upgrade and were very impressed, so he went for 677 after that experience and reading the reviews on the net.
I don't think you will regret it, he gets the car at the end of the month will let you know how it sounds! I certainly wouldn't stick with the standard audio.

Did you consider 534 Air conditioning, automatic with extended features ?
I think it makes it easier to clear the car when its condensated .

Good luck

Cheers
Paul
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2010, 01:27 PM   #5
deejaygee
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 320d M Sport

I think the colour In and out will be stunning, don't listen to Paul it's not even his car it's 'daddies', Paul probably drives a bright orange Saxo with large exhaust at the rear.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2010, 01:32 PM   #6
Soon ExAudi Guy
Week 36 Build
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Enjoy! A tasteful colour combo!
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2010, 01:38 PM   #7
Dom
Private First Class
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmw103 View Post
Hi Dom,
Great choice :-)
Well initially Dad chose Space Grey but Mum and I pursaded him to go for sophistico grey. He still thinks its too dark, he wanted a lighter colour but he is feeling better now because we saw a space grey with Oyster on the dealers lot last week and don't get me wrong it looked fine but the contrast was not as great, and space grey looked a little light with oyster. However its a personal thing. Did you manage to see a car in Sophistico grey ? If you didn't I would suggest seeing one before finalising the choice. Look closely at the xarlic paint it looks different in different lights, it can look almost black though sometimes. I am sure whatever you choose will look great.

Re the 677 professional audio, Dad and I listened to a standard F10 and were not that happy, we then listened to a 3 series with the audio upgrade and were very impressed, so he went for 677 after that experience and reading the reviews on the net.
I don't think you will regret it, he gets the car at the end of the month will let you know how it sounds! I certainly wouldn't stick with the standard audio.

Did you consider 534 Air conditioning, automatic with extended features ?
I think it makes it easier to clear the car when its condensated .

Good luck

Cheers
Paul
Thank you all for your replies. I didn't think about 534 but I will check it out. I saw the Sophisto Grey yesterday at the dealership. I thought it was very nice but a bit too restrained for me. I'm very tempted to change my order to Deep Sea Blue with Oyster/Black. What do you reckon?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2010, 01:56 PM   #8
deejaygee
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 320d M Sport

Keep with the space grey, ellegant colour.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2010, 02:05 PM   #9
pmw103
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Dreaming of a F10

@deejaygee
:-) Saxo never appealed :-)
I drive a black Prius ha ha :-) I am waiting for the F10 Active Hybrid!
I need to wait 3 years to get a second hand half price F10 :-) I am trying to pay off the mortgage first :-)

@Dom
No problem happy to share,
Ok sure ah well Deep Sea Blue and Oyster would be my personal choice, I think it looks stunning. So I would 100% vote for that change!
Imperial Blue Xarlic is nice but its really dark in some lights.
More of a blue for a very sunny country.

Did you consider Oyster / Oyster? I think it would look stunning! Really nice and light
I like the light Dash you get with it. Oyster black gives you a black dash which I find a bit dull.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2010, 07:23 PM   #10
finbrad
Private
Rep
Drives: F10 520D

Dom- Congrats on your order. I've had the same dilemma, but between space grey & titanium silver- Went for silver but seems I'm in the minority as it gets very little mention on any forum. You're obviously concerned about the exterior appeal of your car, have you thought about wheel upgrade?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2010, 02:03 AM   #11
Dom
Private First Class
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by finbrad View Post
Dom- Congrats on your order. I've had the same dilemma, but between space grey & titanium silver- Went for silver but seems I'm in the minority as it gets very little mention on any forum. You're obviously concerned about the exterior appeal of your car, have you thought about wheel upgrade?
Thanks Finbrad. I know bigger wheels would look much better but, to be honest, up here in Donegal you're better off with as much rubber as possible between you and the road!
What extras did you go for?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2010, 04:54 AM   #12
joy5
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: xDrive30d M Sport

Hi Dom, congrats on the new car !

I have the 520d, still 140 miles on the clock 13 days from delivery. But I love every second behind the wheel. Sports+ feels like a 530d so good choice of going with Sports Auto Box you won't feel you are driving an Automatic.

Space Grey, that was my first choice and was choosen by the BMW for the 5 Series catalogue, I am sure it's a very good color. But after serious thinking I went for Sophisto Grey - it looks different in the Sun Rise and in the Sun Set.

Didn't you order the Sat Nav? If you will go for the Professional Nav, it worth the extra money you would pay, especially with BMW Connected Drive.

Good Luck.
      09-13-2010, 03:42 PM   #13
Dom
Private First Class
Ireland
Rep

Thanks Joy5. I didn't bother with the satnav as it's a crazy price here - also it's something I only need to use about once a year and I have a portable unit ( which is also a digital tv ) for that.
What do you think about Deep Sea Blue? I saw one in a car park the other day and it really stood out.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2010, 03:51 PM   #14
SDRX
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 540i M Sport 2018

Congrats my friend. Best of luck for the waiting game now. I am counting down the days literally and its driving me mad!!

Sound model choice and the hifi system is worth every penny!
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2010, 03:58 PM   #15
Dom
Private First Class
Ireland
Rep

Cheers! What do you reckon re my colour dilemma?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2010, 04:06 PM   #16
SDRX
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 540i M Sport 2018

Space Grey is awesome colour, the demonstrator I had was space grey with black interior and it looked awesome. All of the F10's body detail and mouldings show up really well. Go for it!!

Personally, I like black colours, and so I went for Carbon Black.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2010, 09:04 PM   #17
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Congrats.

The HIFI system with 16 speakers definitely is a blast, you're gonna like it.

Aces High!

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2010, 07:34 AM   #18
gorban
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: F11 520xdAT, E87 120dM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom View Post
Thanks Joy5. I didn't bother with the satnav as it's a crazy price here - also it's something I only need to use about once a year and I have a portable unit ( which is also a digital tv ) for that.
What do you think about Deep Sea Blue? I saw one in a car park the other day and it really stood out.
My E61 525d Touring is Deep Sea Blue. A very good looking color when the car is clean and the sun is out. Would work perfectly in California. But when it's dirty it looks kind of sad. The paint has a strange purple/red tone that can be seen on cloudy days when you look from the right angle.

I am still a sucker for blue cars, so I will try the Imperial Blue on my new F11 520d Touring just for change. Haven't seen that color live yet, but the dealer had some sample plates. Imperial blue is kind of in between Deep Sea Blue and Carbon Black.
      09-14-2010, 04:17 PM   #19
joy5
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: xDrive30d M Sport

Quote:
Deep Sea Blue (I always read "Deep Blue Sea" is a nice color. When choosing the upholstery for your paintwork - some say it should be Venetian Beige.
      09-14-2010, 06:49 PM   #20
finbrad
Private
Rep
Drives: F10 520D

Quote:
Thanks Finbrad. I know bigger wheels would look much better but, to be honest, up here in Donegal you're better off with as much rubber as possible between you and the road!
What extras did you go for?
I have a week to change it but I've provisionally ordered;
Titanium Silver, shadowline trim, 18'' 328s, Sun protecion glass, Sport Auto, Osyter/Black. Service pack (cheaper one) - I'm concious there is not much of a contrast between ext/int colours but I'm just coming out of a black on black e60 with antracite headliner and boy was that a gloomy interior. Sporty, but gloomy! Silver/black would be the obvious choice but I really wanted a lighter interior this time. I'd appreciate your honest opinion on why you didn't consider silver before I make a costly mistake!!
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 02:02 PM   #21
Dom
Private First Class
Ireland
Rep

I just think silver is too common - every second car on the road is silver. Easy to keep clean of course but I don't think it stands out at all. Also I think the F10 is best in darker colours.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 03:13 PM   #22
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejaygee View Post
I think the colour In and out will be stunning, don't listen to Paul it's not even his car it's 'daddies', Paul probably drives a bright orange Saxo with large exhaust at the rear.
Bitchyyyy
Appreciate 0