2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs How to Replace the Power Cord on the PC-7424XP

06-10-2016, 11:31 PM   #1
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2001 Corvette Coupe

How to Replace the Power Cord on the PC-7424XP

This video covers how to replace the power cord on the PC-7424XP with a longer one. If you are one who has VERY LITTLE patience, you may want to allow someone who is more electronically inclined to do it for you. Also, if you are one who doesn't believe in taking pictures of stuff as you take it apart, YOU are going to be in for a LONG night.

06-11-2016, 12:04 AM   #2
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post
This video covers how to replace the power cord on the PC-7424XP with a longer one. If you are one who has VERY LITTLE patience, you may want to allow someone who is more electronically inclined to do it for you. Also, if you are one who doesn't believe in taking pictures of stuff as you take it apart, YOU are going to be in for a LONG night.
Is it normal for the machine to stop rotating and just "vibrate" on speed 6 Mine started doing that recently and I believe it's time for a replacement...
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2016, 12:30 AM   #3
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
Is it normal for the machine to stop rotating and just "vibrate" on speed 6 Mine started doing that recently and I believe it's time for a replacement...
By design, if you apply too much pressure, the machine will stop rotating and will ONLY oscillate. Again, this is by design. So if you apply the correct amount of pressure (9-14 pounds including the weight of the polisher), you won't have that issue.
      06-11-2016, 05:58 PM   #4
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
By design, if you apply too much pressure, the machine will stop rotating and will ONLY oscillate. Again, this is by design. So if you apply the correct amount of pressure (9-14 pounds including the weight of the polisher), you won't have that issue.
That's the problem. I'm not putting much pressure; in fact any less and the pad fly's off the polisher.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2016, 06:53 PM   #5
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That's the problem. I'm not putting much pressure; in fact any less and the pad fly's off the polisher.
What kind of pads are you using that flying off is a possibility? I can turn my polisher on full blast with the pad soaking wet with water and it won't fly off.
      06-11-2016, 08:19 PM   #6
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What kind of pads are you using that flying off is a possibility? I can turn my polisher on full blast with the pad soaking wet with water and it won't fly off.
The kind with a Velcro backing... I got these from Amazon. I was wondering if I loaded too much compound/polish on the pad.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2016, 10:09 PM   #7
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"
United_States
Rep

If you are wondering that then it sounds like you definitely didn't watch my machine polishing for novices enough. Add to that, you must have bought the worst Chinese knock-off pads ever made. You should be able to do as I have done and spin the polisher at its highest speed with a soaking wet pad not have then come off at all.
      06-16-2016, 08:20 PM   #8
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If you are wondering that then it sounds like you definitely didn't watch my machine polishing for novices enough. Add to that, you must have bought the worst Chinese knock-off pads ever made. You should be able to do as I have done and spin the polisher at its highest speed with a soaking wet pad not have then come off at all.
Actually I did.... I re-watched part 4 and discovered my issues. The instructions I had been going on said to spread the compound with #3 then work the stuff on #6. It also never mentioned misting the pad with a detailer. I was also using waaaaaaaay too much compound. Spent 6 hours with M105, then Menzerna #2 (400), then Merzena #3 (800) and finally the first coat of Zaino Z2, If I get motivated enough tomorrow (my back is KILLING me!) I'll put on another coat of Z2. If not, Z2 will probably go on Monday. My machine still doesn't want to work on speed 6 so I may have damaged it with too much pressure. 9#-14# isn't much when the machine weighs probably 6-7 pounds!

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2016, 08:25 PM   #9
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"
United_States
Rep

Question. Why in the world are you mixing all those different products together? You are making rocket science out of clay-dough!
      06-17-2016, 12:40 AM   #10
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Question. Why in the world are you mixing all those different products together? You are making rocket science out of clay-dough!
Why not (I am curious and ask for education)? I prefer the Menzerna products but had the Meguires left over. I also love Zaino. Every time I try something else I always return to Zaino. Can't beat the longevity! I may put a coat of Collinite Liquid Insulator Wax #845 on top of the Zaino.

Yea, I mix and match.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2016, 04:05 AM   #11
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"
United_States
Rep

Quote:
... Yea, I mix and match.
And THAT is a recipe for unnecessary redundancy and/or failure. In order to understand WHY what you are doing is wrong, you have to FULLY understand what you are doing. In order to understand that, you have to understand the products that you are using. Let's break it down.

M105 - M105 is a SMAT (Super Micro Abrasive Technology) compound for removing heavy paint damage. It is made up of super small abrasives that give a continuous and even cut as you use it. This is why it finishes down with minimal damage remaining behind. You ALWAYS follow M105 with M205 because M205 is ALSO a SMAT based product that is made to pick up where M105 leaves off and finish your shine down to perfection. They were designed to be used from the factory this way in order to keep you, the consumer from having to figure what to use with each product. It's a predefined solution to repairing your paint and NO OTHER POLISHES need to be used with them! They are ONE SET of many compounds/polishes solutions that you can use to achieve perfect paint and DO NOT need the assistance of another line of products!

The way the process works NO MATTER THE BRAND is you remove ALL of the paint damage with a compound. Then you put the spit shine on the paint with a polish. THE END. You are now ready for a wax or sealant. Then you drive your car. THAT'S IT. Compound > Polish > Wax then drive. From that day on, you should NEVER have to use a compound again on your paint. You should be caring for your paint in a manner that NO LONGER creates paint damage. If any damage does show up, a light POLISH like M205 or SF-3500 should be all you will ever need to fix any new damage. The way you are going with the double compound treatment is going to have you visiting a paint booth MUCH sooner than necessary. Clear coat is NOT infinite on these cars! Now here's what YOU are doing.

You followed M105 with Menzerna Heavy Cut Compound 400. Basically you followed a compound with a compound. That's like priming down a car so that you can paint it and then priming it down again with a different brand of primer. That makes absolutely no sense! Add to that, you have no idea if 400 uses SMAT or DAT (Diminishing Abrasive Technology, which starts off with large abrasive that diminish as you work). DAT compounds and polishes DO NOT finish down as well as SMAT products do. So by using a DAT compound behind a SMAT compound, you have totally eliminated the finishing ability of product like M105! Again, there is no rhyme or reason for doing this!

Menzerna Heavy Cut Compound 400 is supposed to be followed by Menzerna Super Finish (SF-3500). After that, your paint should be as shiny as it possibly can get. From that point forward, you are ready for a wax or sealant (or both if you know how to apply them). If your paint isn't as shiny as it could possibly be then your polishing technique has ISSUES. This car was polished with Optimum's Compound II, which was then followed by Optimum's Polish II. That's IT! Nothing else was done to the paint and look at it. The wax question was a trick question to prove my point of what effective polishing can do for your paint:

What YOU are doing is follow Menzerna Super Finish (SF-3500) with Zaino Z2. The problem with that is Zaino Z2 will NOT properly cure UNLESS you treat your paint with ZFX FIRST! You just can't stick Z2 on naked paint, which is the condition of your paint after all that compounding and polishing that you have done. Do you see how you are turning a simple process into rocket science? You are doing all this wild stuff that is completely unnecessary. You could have been down HOURS ago. Then you want to add another coat of Z2 on top of the first coat which is NOT going to adhere properly or last nearly as long as it could had you properly prepped your paint. Another thing. If I was going to use Z2 on my paint, I would have used Z-AIO instead of all those compounds and polishes. Z-AIO does what both the compound and polish do, only it does it in one step.

So that's why I asked you why you were trying to make rocket science out of Play-dough. No wonder your back is killing you! That's your body trying to make you quit doing all that unnecessary wasting of products and money. Allow what the engineers who developed this stuff to do the work FOR YOU. All you have to do is follow their instructions and quit trying to make it rocket science because it really ain't that complicated!

Compound > Polish > Wax, YOUR DONE. Go pick up some babes and have a pool party! That's what I do! Girls find rocket science boring.

Last edited by Junkman2008; 06-18-2016 at 03:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2016, 07:32 PM   #12
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep

I may have misrepresented the products. After the M105 (heavy cut) the two Menzerna products were medium cut and very light cut/polish. Zaino says multiple layers will just deepen the shine. Ever since I started using Zaino about 15 years ago I've always applied multiple coats. My understanding is that as long as I wait a day between coats I don't need the ZFX. Also, what do you think of the Z-CS?

Thanks for your instruction. I really do appreciate it!
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2016, 11:44 PM   #13
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"
United_States
Rep

You still don't need to follow M105 with the two Menzerna products. M105 is a medium to heavy cut compound so using another medium cut compound is unnecessarily redundant. You should either use the Menzerna products or buy some M205. That's how it is done. Also, you are completely incorrect about ZFX. It lays the foundation for Z2 to cure. I am 1000% sure on this as I use to communicate with the founder, Sal Zaino on a frequent basis. I know exactly how Zaino works as I use to use his products on my ride.

The reason multiple coats of Z2 looks better is because it is more like a GLAZE. The more coats you apply, the more damage it hides and makes your paint look better. If you POLISHED all of the damage out of your paint, you would achieve the same look so if Z2 makes your paint look better, that tells me volumes about your polishing.

I have a bottle of Z-CS that Sal sent me personally. Haven't tried it yet.
      06-18-2016, 02:35 PM   #14
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You still don't need to follow M105 with the two Menzerna products. M105 is a medium to heavy cut compound so using another medium cut compound is unnecessarily redundant. You should either use the Menzerna products or buy some M205. That's how it is done. Also, you are completely incorrect about ZFX. It lays the foundation for Z2 to cure. I am 1000% sure on this as I use to communicate with the founder, Sal Zaino on a frequent basis. I know exactly how Zaino works as I use to use his products on my ride.

The reason multiple coats of Z2 looks better is because it is more like a GLAZE. The more coats you apply, the more damage it hides and makes your paint look better. If you POLISHED all of the damage out of your paint, you would achieve the same look so if Z2 makes your paint look better, that tells me volumes about your polishing.

I have a bottle of Z-CS that Sal sent me personally. Haven't tried it yet.
THANKS!!!!! I guess I'll need to order the ZFX and start over... With the polish anyway...

THANKS again!!!!!!
Appreciate 0