2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Air Conditioning Question

06-11-2014, 08:30 PM   #1
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

Air Conditioning Question

So, I've been used to my previous BMWs blowing full power when getting starting the car on a hot day - the system would blow full fan speed until the cabin cooled and slowly brought the fan speed slower as it reached target temperature. The F10, by comparison, doesn't seem to do this... or so I feel.

I keep the system on AUTO always, and I even keep the zones "sync'd" all the time. I've noticed that it doesn't even matter if I dial the temperature down to 65 degrees... the system seems like it's in no rush to cool the cabin (not making the fans run any faster). If I really want to cool it down quickly, I need to press "Max" to do it.

Any observations by other owners here? This is just a departure from what I'm used to on my previous BMWs.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 09:15 PM   #2
noixd
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 535xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezmaass View Post
So, I've been used to my previous BMWs blowing full power when getting starting the car on a hot day - the system would blow full fan speed until the cabin cooled and slowly brought the fan speed slower as it reached target temperature. The F10, by comparison, doesn't seem to do this... or so I feel.

I keep the system on AUTO always, and I even keep the zones "sync'd" all the time. I've noticed that it doesn't even matter if I dial the temperature down to 65 degrees... the system seems like it's in no rush to cool the cabin (not making the fans run any faster). If I really want to cool it down quickly, I need to press "Max" to do it.

Any observations by other owners here? This is just a departure from what I'm used to on my previous BMWs.
Lowering the temperature will increase the speed while on auto. I guess it all depends on the outside temperature.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 10:10 PM   #3
snj1013
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 528i

The intensity of the fan speed can be controlled by the fan speed buttons even in Auto. So in fact you have 5 auto settings to select from. Bump this up to the middle or higher and I think the system will behave more as you expect.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 04:08 AM   #4
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj1013 View Post
The intensity of the fan speed can be controlled by the fan speed buttons even in Auto. So in fact you have 5 auto settings to select from. Bump this up to the middle or higher and I think the system will behave more as you expect.
+1

I personally run the lowest intensity within Auto, but have tried the higher settings for more air flow. I prefer to leave the system running at the lower air flow rates at a constant temperature, so just push the MAX button for the occasions I want instant cooling.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 06:35 AM   #5
remmib
General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

Quote:
Yes, and I like this feature.

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3DDesign Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 08:34 PM   #6
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Interesting, I could have sworn I tried this - my recollection was that pressing the fan speed buttons took the system out of auto mode? I'll need to try it... but I seem to recall that pressing the fan speed did, in fact, increase the speed of the fans, but the auto button no longer lit. Pressing it again took the fan speed back to low.

I had concluded at the time that perhaps, even though it felt much hotter to me, maybe it wasn't... and the car just didn't think it needed that intensity to cool it down in a "reasonable" amount of time.

So you're saying that I should be able to control the fan speed even with auto remaining engaged? I'll need to give that a shot again. Spent 6 hours in the car today and didn't have any issue... then again, it's not yet super hot out either.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2014, 07:41 AM   #7
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

When the fan speed is in auto mode, there are 5 bars on the control, when in manual mode, I think there are 9 bars.
Appreciate 1
      06-13-2014, 07:46 AM   #8
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
When the fan speed is in auto mode, there are 5 bars on the control, when in manual mode, I think there are 9 bars.
I'll have to give it a try. It's just different than what I'm used to with BMW. In my previous cars, Auto meant that the fan speed would be automatically controlled - the system would decide what speed was required to cool or heat the cabin the optimal temperature. I find it odd that I need to set a fan speed when in Auto mode, as that seems like an integral part of what Auto should be controlling?
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2014, 07:54 AM   #9
noixd
Private
Rep

Auto sets the fan speed automatically without manually increasing the speed manually. Bring it to the dealership.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2014, 08:10 AM   #10
The X Men
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I'll have to give it a try. It's just different than what I'm used to with BMW. In my previous cars, Auto meant that the fan speed would be automatically controlled - the system would decide what speed was required to cool or heat the cabin the optimal temperature. I find it odd that I need to set a fan speed when in Auto mode, as that seems like an integral part of what Auto should be controlling?
It took me a while to get use to it as well. What is nice about the F10's system is that you can control how fast or aggressive the cabin is cool down. Some people do not like a rush of cold air in their face or they don't like the fan noise, while others like instant cooling. Having a choice is a good thing
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2014, 12:48 PM   #11
snj1013
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 528i

Quote:
Originally Posted by noixd View Post
Auto sets the fan speed automatically without manually increasing the speed manually. Bring it to the dealership.
Yes and no. Read my post above, there is an intensity/bias to the speed of the auto fan that is user controlled. This is described in the manual.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2014, 03:43 PM   #12
noixd
Private
Rep

Yes, the driver can manually adjust the fan speed but the OP is asking if the F10 automatically adjusts the fan speed on its own. The answer is Yes!
Lets say its blistering hot outside at 90 degrees. Driver has the AC running and turns the temperature knob to 65 degrees. The f10 will automatically adjusts the fan speed on its own and starts blasting cool air. No need to adjust the fan speed.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2014, 04:18 PM   #13
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by noixd View Post
Yes, the driver can manually adjust the fan speed but the OP is asking if the F10 automatically adjusts the fan speed on its own. The answer is Yes!
Lets say its blistering hot outside at 90 degrees. Driver has the AC running and turns the temperature knob to 65 degrees. The f10 will automatically adjusts the fan speed on its own and starts blasting cool air. No need to adjust the fan speed.
Yes the air flow speed is automatic, but is influenced by what intensity you set ahead of use.

We need the higher intensity settings to get the maximum variation in air flow in heat up, or cool down.

As I posted in my earlier comment, I run the lowest intensity setting, more gentle in the air flow variation. I'm running Auto mode, so don't touch the fan speeds.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2014, 04:32 PM   #14
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I hear the explanation about the "intensity" in Auto mode, but I'll admit I still find it confusing and strange. In my previous BMWs, auto was just auto - you set the temperature, and the fan speed adjusted according to how much air was needed to get the car cool or hot, presumably in some "reasonable" amount of time.

So, if it was 90 degrees outside, sun beating on the cabin of the parked car, you'd get in, start it, and the fans would automatically go to their highest setting to get the car to its cooler temperature (70 degrees - my normal setting). I never had to touch the fan speed.

In contrast, with the F10, the cabin can be pretty hot (like I said, full-on summer temps aren't here yet), but the fan speed will remain at its lowest setting. It'll eventually get to a comfortable temperature (in this more mild weather), but it takes significantly longer to do this way.

From what I recall, if I pressed the fan speed "up" button, it would disengage auto mode. I'll need to try this again to make sure. But again, just odd that I need to touch the fan speed setting at all in auto mode... as I believe the fan speed should be a function of whether the car is trying to reach a particular temperature. Car is too hot? Fan speed is automatically higher. Car reaching temperature? Fan speed slows. For those of you who studied engineering, this is essentially how a PID controller works. But it makes little sense to allow someone to control the throttle (fan speed) AND claim the system is automatically adjusting the temperature at the same time.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2014, 05:43 PM   #15
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW Transporter Sportline

It does automatically control the fan speed and temperature, the fan speed adjustment in auto just allows you to select how aggressive the application of this function is. In my previous X5 repeatedly pressing auto button took it through a cycle of soft, medium and intensive settings. This is the same principle but with 5 settings instead of three.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2014, 05:54 PM   #16
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I hear the explanation about the "intensity" in Auto mode, but I'll admit I still find it confusing and strange. In my previous BMWs, auto was just auto - you set the temperature, and the fan speed adjusted according to how much air was needed to get the car cool or hot, presumably in some "reasonable" amount of time.
My previous BMW (E91) didn't have intensity settings, so worked as you describe.

E60 (and other models) the intensity could be set in iDrive, to user preference. In the F10/11 that function has been added to the front panel control.

It doesn't mean you need to change it once you've set up your preference, it then works automatically, just as the E60 does. If you prefer a more gentle air flow use a low intensity, if you want more air flow use a higher intensity setting as a preference. Still adjusts the speed automatically, in Auto mode, without you needing to manually do anything.

BTW, what intensity are you set at? How many bars on the display?

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2014, 06:07 PM   #17
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Video link

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2014, 07:54 PM   #18
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
My previous BMW (E91) didn't have intensity settings, so worked as you describe.

E60 (and other models) the intensity could be set in iDrive, to user preference. In the F10/11 that function has been added to the front panel control.

It doesn't mean you need to change it once you've set up your preference, it then works automatically, just as the E60 does. If you prefer a more gentle air flow use a low intensity, if you want more air flow use a higher intensity setting as a preference. Still adjusts the speed automatically, in Auto mode, without you needing to manually do anything.

BTW, what intensity are you set at? How many bars on the display?

HighlandPete
Thanks Pete - I think my intensity must be set to the lowest setting (1 bar), which would explain a somewhat slow response to cooling the cabin.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2014, 07:59 PM   #19
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Video link

HighlandPete
Thanks - this is great. I think I need to double check if the auto program was actually being shut off or it just looked that way. Clearly the video here shows it remaining lit when the intensity button is pressed. Thanks again for posting this, Pete!
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2014, 07:15 AM   #20
The X Men
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
For those of you who studied engineering, this is essentially how a PID controller works. But it makes little sense to allow someone to control the throttle (fan speed) AND claim the system is automatically adjusting the temperature at the same time.
By changing the fan speed in auto, what you are essentially doing is changing the P in the PID loop. If you set the proportional gain low, it will reach the set point slowly. If you set the P high, it will reach the set point faster but will over shoot and oscillate. In this case, its more of a comfort issue rather than overshooting the set point or oscillation issue. If you don't mind the fan noise and the large volume of cold air, by all mean, turn the P all the way up.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 03:31 PM   #21
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

So, I had a lengthy trip down to the MD/VA area today. I set the "intensity" setting higher and left it in auto mode. The weather is pretty warm down here (90's) today, and the system responded as I expected. After leaving the car parked in some baking sun, it brought the fan speed up higher to cool the cabin quicker. So, I think this solves it - in fact, the intensity was set too low previously. Thanks to all of the responses.

While I typically enjoy having more granular control, this is an instance where I think that level of granularity just leads to unnecessary confusion. Essentially the auto function can be "tweaked" to reach its target temperature more rapidly or slowly, which in theory sounds nice. However, on its low(er/est) setting(s), it may also defeat the auto function altogether, not allowing it to reach the target temperature in any meaningful time (or at all)... which is silly IMHO.

In any case, I'm glad to know how it now works, and I've set it to the "middle" intensity... we'll see how that works out. But while I'm on the topic of HVAC, and during the course of reading up on this feature, I read a little more about the other HVAC controls and had a quick question on the "auto" mode for air recycling. My understanding is that if left in "auto" for air recycling, the pollutant detection will determine whether to switch from outside to inside air. Is there any way to tell which source is being used at any given point in time? Does the system display anything special? I've had this feature just turned off (outside air always), but I put it to "auto" for the ride down today and plan to see how that works out.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 07:21 AM   #22
The X Men
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
While I typically enjoy having more granular control, this is an instance where I think that level of granularity just leads to unnecessary confusion. Essentially the auto function can be "tweaked" to reach its target temperature more rapidly or slowly, which in theory sounds nice. However, on its low(er/est) setting(s), it may also defeat the auto function altogether, not allowing it to reach the target temperature in any meaningful time (or at all)... which is silly IMHO.
When I drive other cars with auto climate control, I am frustrated by the lack of customization of their system. I guess I am spoil by BMW.
Appreciate 0