2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Review of my F10 520D SE (2010) car..

10-24-2017, 01:50 PM   #1
Nico2014
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Series 5 520d se f10

Review of my F10 520D SE (2010) car..

Hi everyone,

I have been recently thinking of writing a post giving my own review/comments about my car (F10 series 5, 520D SE late 2010) that I have now been driving for just over 3 months. I know that it is not a new car but nevertheless, there are lots of things that I think are worth mentioning in my post that make it so relevant when comparing it with all my previous mercedes cars I have driven.

This is of course my own and personal review and I am not an expert when it comes to reviewing cars overall but thought I should write this post as this car and its engine simply deserves my time to comment what I think of it, and of the brand BMW compare to Mercedes. This post is in no way any attempt to criticise one brand or the other, as one will agree with me that both BMW and Mercedes are German cars and that we know how good German cars are.

Having driven Mercedes cars for over 8 years, prior to the purchase of my current BMW car, I think it is fair to say that I was fortunate to have driven some very good Mercedes cars moving up from C Class (W204) c220 CDI (2.1L diesel), to C Class (W204) c350 CDI (3.0 L V6 Diesel), then to E Class (W212) E350 CDI (V6 Diesel) and the last and famous E63 AMG (W212) 6.2 L Performance Pack (V8) - the last one being the most fun car I had to drive and the longest I had (nearly 3 years) as I normally and usually change cars every 2 years max roughly.

Sadly, I had to return my E63 AMG as it was the end of my PCP lease (the car was just over 5 years old and it was getting a bit too expensive to keep and run for the long term) and once you get to drive a top of the range car from any car makes, it is actually hard to 'go down' keeping the same brand, as I would have got bored quite quickly and I knew myself that I would be quickly looking at another car again...

So, here is when I seriously thought: why not move on and try a BMW car? After all, if you stay in the same brand for a few years, I might miss something elsewhere?

I have always heard that BMW cars are designed to be more driver focus, more driving efficient with fuel consumption and that the engine appears to be a leap ahead of Mercedes Benz. So all these words, have made me think harder over the past few months before swapping my E63... This is where this becomes truly aspiring.

AFFORDABILITY
I began my search and firstly was extremely surprised how affordable BMW cars are on the market with BMW dealerships when searching online and so I focussed my search to find a BMW series 5, which has been getting some outstanding reviews year after year from all source of magazines, and online car fanatics.

N47 DIESEL ENGINE
I took quite a bold decision to first choose a 'basic model' the 520d - 2 Litre diesel engine (N47). After 3 months driving this car, I am simply impressed with its fuel consumption. I thought I would lose the fun with a fuel economy engine but I was wrong. This car is fun to drive and has a fair amount of power on the UK road (our roads have speed limits in town for 30 or 20 mph and 70 mph on motorways and lots of speed cameras so speeding is increasingly more difficult and the only way safe is to drive the car on the close circuit track). So the 520d just does the job remarkably and without struggle driving around and everywhere I have been.

I, initially thought driving a 2 Litre engine in a large car would be 'underpowered' - well I simply was wrong and it made me re-think again. I know that this car is not a sport car and will never match my previous car, but I could not believe how well powered the car is overall. I now get to see why BMW is winning awards for this model. The car is pulling power without revving hard and loud, the engine is actually so refined (much more refined than a similar 2 or 2.1 Litre Mercedes engine).

The N47 engine is well put together and it is compact when looking at it and I am still amazed by it that I think this car has a V6 engine instead of a 2 Litres, it is just that good and drives effortlessly in town and on motorway and it easily overtakes cars with no struggle whatsoever. This made me think, do I need a bigger engine in future?? well for now it does the job so well. I know that I will in no doubt be tempted to go for a bigger engine as a replacement car but again, do I need anything more when this engine simply delivers impeccably? That will be a question I need to reflect when the time will come for a car replacement...

HANDLING
What impressed me more, is the way this car handles on bendy roads B roads, it is quite remarkable how they have done it, the car is so well composed and planted than any mercedes cars that I have driven before (excluding the E63 as it should not be compared). I thought the overall comfort with its suspensions (I have the standard 17' inch alloys) just make the car driving so smooth and the leather sport seats are simply superb to seat in. It is like being on 'an armchair on the move' wherever I go.

AUTOMATIC GEARBOX
Having driven automatic cars only with Mercedes before, I can simply say (excluding the E63) that it is by far the best automatic gearbox I have been experiencing. This 8 speed gearbox just does the job so well that when selecting the normal D drive, it manages well to keep car engine refined, silent under 2000rpm at 30, 50,60 or even 70mpg. Obviously if pressing the accelerator, the rev will get higher but the gear change will take place to keep the car as quiet as possible and I can say that there is no Mercedes cars doing this (not the ones I have driven) - BMW has somehow made this so good.

I like the fact that it feels more nippy and more agile when selecting the D sport mode, but as my car is not a sport car overall, I tend to keep it on normal mode, as it is a much more relaxing drive experience. But it is refreshing to know that I have this Sport and Sport plus option should I need a bit more speed. Again, the car does keep a sporty feel, which is so cool to have. It also appears to provide little compromise with fuel economy from the times I have used the sport mode, which is simply impressive.

Also, another decisive factor for me to have chosen a BMW car is that BMW will keep the gearbox in the centre console unlike Mercedes where they moved the gearbox behind the steering wheel (in lots of their cars recently and sadly - it is a mistake in my view).

POSITIVE IMPACT WITH MY DRIVING
Interestingly also, I am a much more relax driver now being in my BMW than my predecessor car. The car simply makes me a better driver as there is no urgency to wanting to drive fast (in order to hear the growling engine) I love the fact that it drives quietly and it is quite a serene place to be wherever I go.

FUEL CONSUMPTION
I used to grin a bit and keep my smile on my face when driving my E63, well I am pleased to say that I still have the grin and smile on my face with my BMW car, knowing how great it drives, and how economical it is without compromising driving pleasure is the key and BMW have done it so well.

In addition, I have only been visiting my local petrol station once every 2 weeks as I am easily doing an average of 45mpg in my daily drive compare to 10 or 11 mpg in my previous car, which I used to refuel every 2 or 3 days... I knew what I was getting for with a such a big engine but now being much more sensible, This car is actually making me smile even more, saving me a whole lot more money (that I could spend elsewhere...)

INTERIOR
I am actually looking forward to stepping into my BMW car daily. The interior (beige alcantara leather) is so beautiful and the quality is easily a notch above Mercedes in my view, it feels luxurious and I love the look of the automatic gear stick. I love the way BMW designers angled the dashboard towards the driver. All the buttons are well put together (same as Mercedes to be fair).

SAT NAV
It took me a bit of time to get used to with BMW SAT NAV (large BMW professional screen), but having got the grip of it and comparing with Mercedes (Comand online system), I have to say that BMW system is better and superior than all my predecessors cars I have driven (the latest models I drove were 2013 year). I love the split screen and quality screen is just a joy to watch. What I am more impressed with it is the fact that my car is nearly 7 years old, it still easily beats a lot of the Mercedes cars I have driven being more recent models also.

My only one criticism with this sat nav, is that the Sat Nav guidance if activated does not mute if I am using the phone. But I believe the more recent models have got this sorted.

KEYLESS (EVEN STANDARD FOR SE MODELS!)
I love the fact that you do not need to put the key in to turn the engine on. It took me some time to get used to though... And to have this option as standard for an SE model is quite impressive and one that I won't forget - these are the small details that BMW nailed this on the coffin to beat its competitors.

THE EXTERIOR LOOK
Maybe this should have been discussed much earlier -I realised that, but all the other points were so poignant in my overall experience that it has only got to be said now:

Well, at first, when the F10 car was launched, I thought it was a big transformation and change from the previous model but the shape remained a bit too conservative. Hence why I opted for an E Class then (with its square look and four distinctive headlights - possibly the best looking E Class (W212) in my view) but over the years, this F10 shape has considerably grown on me, as I grew to like it more and more and I now think it is, overall, a lovely design, the best part of this design is its rear look with its disctintive and smart looking rear headlights, the side shape looks elegant and well balanced and it is quite impressive for a car to have lasted nearly 7 years with the same shape. interestingly also this f10 shape is wider and longer than the E Class I drove but it is just fine to drive it (thanks to standard front and rear sensors with display on the main screen, which is so easy to follow)

I do think that this car will definitely age well in years to come. The front look is more beautiful as a SPORT than an SE, but I could still live with the SE look somehow as it does have a nice blend overall. I love the shape of the front bonnet, which still gives a sporty feel when you are at the front wheel driving it. The new shape G30 is also even more beautiful and has a strong masculine and square look, which stands out better than the new E Class (which sadly is too round for my liking and too identical with the C class or S Class - it is a big mistake in my view for Mercedes)

CONCLUSION
I thought I would quickly miss my E63 AMG (I still miss its engine growling but not the fuel economy!) but no, it has been pleasant experience driving this wonderful BMW from the start and well impressed how power with great fuel economy can be delivered without impacting driving pleasure.

It has made me realised that 'I did miss' something out there but to consolate myself: 'never late than never' applies well here.

So, what does this mean for me since experiencing this brand for the first time, is that I will surely be replacing my current car with another BMW model (most likely another series 5) within a year or 2. I already have my eyes on a 530d (new engine) or 535d, which deliver outstanding performance with great fuel economy.

Well, BMW has got my heart in it now...
Attached Images

Last edited by Nico2014; 10-24-2017 at 05:12 PM..
Appreciate 1
Ickdeep5718.50
      10-24-2017, 06:46 PM   #2
TZ
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i xDrive, 2014 435i CO

Congrats!

Service Manual: www.newtis.info
Part: http://www.realoem.com
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2017, 08:32 PM   #3
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

I have a question.... What happens if you remove your front license "plate"? It is required in some of our states but the local constabulary in a lot of areas don't seem to care much. Even if we get ticketed it is just a fix-it-ticket with no real monetary penalty.

Just curious how it's done across the pond...
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2017, 01:45 AM   #4
Nico2014
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
I have a question.... What happens if you remove your front license "plate"? It is required in some of our states but the local constabulary in a lot of areas don't seem to care much. Even if we get ticketed it is just a fix-it-ticket with no real monetary penalty.

Just curious how it's done across the pond...
Not too sure, actually as I never asked that question before. I think you could be stopped by the Police and get a fine, something like £30. But I do know that it is not legal for sure.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2017, 01:58 AM   #5
Nico2014
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TZ View Post
Congrats!
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2017, 09:06 AM   #6
Ickdeep
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F10 M5 | '15 F15 X5

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [10.00]
2013 BMW M5 [SOLD]  [10.00]
2013 BMW 535i [SOLD]  [10.00]
Welcome and Congratz! Awesome write up
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2017, 10:10 AM   #7
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2019 330xi, 2017 Q7

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Nice post! I have a 2012 528i with the lowly N20 engine, and too have to admit that it is more than sufficient for daily use, and for fun I can put it in sport mode and enjoy it.

Your other points about the interior quality and serenity of the cabin are truly something i enjoy as well. I picked up my F10 with 5 miles on it and 5.5 years and 55k miles later it still feels and drives like a new car to me. This is the greatness of BMW engineering...the cars provide driving pleasure for years, and I plan to keep mine for at least another 5 before handing it down to a kid.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2017, 11:17 AM   #8
Nico2014
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ickdeep View Post
Welcome and Congratz! Awesome write up
Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2017, 11:20 AM   #9
Nico2014
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKutta View Post
Nice post! I have a 2012 528i with the lowly N20 engine, and too have to admit that it is more than sufficient for daily use, and for fun I can put it in sport mode and enjoy it.

Your other points about the interior quality and serenity of the cabin are truly something i enjoy as well. I picked up my F10 with 5 miles on it and 5.5 years and 55k miles later it still feels and drives like a new car to me. This is the greatness of BMW engineering...the cars provide driving pleasure for years, and I plan to keep mine for at least another 5 before handing it down to a kid.
Glad to hear that we share a lot of common things about our cars. It feels awesome to be part of this special experience with these great cars...
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2017, 11:37 AM   #10
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

I agree! Except for the part about being a more sedate driver. Then again, it is probably just me as one of my motto's is any car can go fast straight, the fun is when the road becomes unstraight!! Our oldest 535 is a 2012 with about 83K miles. I didn't buy it new but I can't imagine that it's more solid now than when it was new. The build quality amazes me (this was my first German car). I don't think I can ever go back to buying American cars; ESPECIALLY as they seem to be fixated on FWD appliances!

ENJOY your ride! It looks FANTASTIC!!
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2017, 11:55 AM   #11
Nico2014
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
I agree! Except for the part about being a more sedate driver. Then again, it is probably just me as one of my motto's is any car can go fast straight, the fun is when the road becomes unstraight!! Our oldest 535 is a 2012 with about 83K miles. I didn't buy it new but I can't imagine that it's more solid now than when it was new. The build quality amazes me (this was my first German car). I don't think I can ever go back to buying American cars; ESPECIALLY as they seem to be fixated on FWD appliances!

ENJOY your ride! It looks FANTASTIC!!
Thanks! I had to make a quick point about my sedated drive, as it was 'oddly' a nice experience with this n47 engine after driving a fat 6.2L for nearly 3 years. I suppose I had lots of fun with it and got it out of my system and felt ready to get back with a smaller engine.

I would like to add that I still remain a 'sport car' driver (this may sound odd saying this after choosing this BMW car) but I had to remind myself to get calmer with my driving as it is too tempting to want to hear the engine growling and the next minute is that you are speeding to do this (too risky to get stopped and fine with points on licence etc.)

No doubt, that I will be returning with a sportier car in future but for now it just ticks every box...
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2017, 11:12 AM   #12
.BMW.
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW F11/F31

Beautiful F10!

Congrats.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2017, 01:35 PM   #13
Nico2014