2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series Gran Turismo GT (F07) Forums General 5-Series GT (Gran Turismo) (F07) Forum Is your GT pulling right??

10-09-2010, 10:49 AM   #1
GT Convert
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 550i GT Sport xDrive

Is your GT pulling right??

I am aware of the F10's issue where the car pulls right. One of the more active posts on this blog. Anyone with a GT experience a similar issue? My wonderful GT has been at the dealer for over a week now with no remedy. Appreciate anyone who can offer a fix that I can bring to my dealers attention. They've done multiple alignments, changed out my tires, installed a new control arm, and been in communications with BMW North America. They do not believe it is a software issue.

I want my car back!!! It's a 550 xDrive.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2010, 11:01 AM   #2
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

I am not aware of any similar issue for GT. F10 uses EPS; while all F07/GT uses hydraulics. So GT should not be affected - if it does, it is probably a separate problem.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 05:31 PM   #3
martyfrost
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7

NEW 2010 535i GT owner...

Love the 535i GT coming from an X5 35D, this ride is much smoother, sportier and very roomy and tight.

Now the bad... My car drifts to the right slightly as well. Did you get yours fixed?

And do your window seals make a creaking noise when going over bumps?

THANKS!
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 10:23 PM   #4
GT Convert
Canada
Rep

First off, what size wheels do you have. It took my dealer and BMW NA over 2 months and hundred of hours to correct the alignment issue on my 550 GT. The Service Manager was one outstanding man committed to service. I also ensured that my issue was being well understood and not exaggerated. They started with changing one Control arm and followed by a new Steering Rack, and a dozen 4-wheel alignments to correct. The car still drifted right. I scoured the web to see if this was a chronic issue and could not find a thread. They just could not figure it out.

Near the end, they simply said the issue was caused by my 20" rims and tires. They changed my tires, put on 18" rims - which reduced the drift, but still went right. They even tried to "correct" by minipulating the alingment to go left. Still no good.

I had suggested that perhaps it was either the xDrive or the Brakes pinching. The checked the Brakes and found the right side was more worn - with only 2000 km/1200 miles on a new car so strange. They changed out the pads and drums and did yet another 4 wheel alignment.

They told me it was "better" but they were not happy with it. With my expectations low, I took delivery, after my 7th service visit and to my surprise, it was better! For the first time - it actually went left, right and straight!! yippee.

So with that all said, I would suggest the following. Bigger rims and tires will impact the pull. Coming from an X6, I trust this is not the issue for you. Check the tire pressure, and if roads are straight/smooth, you'll likely need to have it checked. My car was a 2010 550 xDrive and early off the assembly line. This is not a chronic issue like the new 5 series - software issue.

Crazy frustrting and time consuming. I wish you luck and can tell you this ordeal took years off my life.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 10:42 PM   #5
GT Convert
Canada
Rep

Re your questions about the windows, mine are fine. No squeeks or wind noise. Could be your seals are a new and might need to break in. Just turn up the stereo real loud or roll your window down. Weather in my home town was minus 15 degree F this past week. So could be worse!
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 03:55 PM   #6
martyfrost
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7

Thank you for the details.

I rechecked the tire pressure and the right front side was about .5 lbs too high. I think it is right now, and the car drives fairly straight. The roads here in So Cal are terrible so its hard to say, but the weather is right on!! 78 all week...!

Finally Found my seat position (so many options) and suspension setting today and felt the joy of driving a BMW! I couldn't ever find that sweet spot in the X5, as I had in previous BMW's.

I've owned many BMW's in years past, and this GT rides and handles like my 98 750iL. But the milage on this turbo 6 is much better than 12 cylinders!!
Appreciate 0