2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK drl rear lights?

06-12-2012, 03:42 PM   #23
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

ok visited dealer today and they took the car for a few hours.
Explained I appreciated that the camber will have an effect on teh car but that I didn't notice this drift off to the left on my E39
So they loaned me a mini cooper S coupe for the day (didn;'t like it but thats a different topic!).
on my return the mechanic who had tested teh car said it was all within spec but felt it was worth a KDS check. So agreed there was 'something' not quite right- enough to warrant a KDS check anyway which is covered under warranty.
Need to get the car back in a week to get that completed.
Service dept also did a search on the topic and came back with PUMA and various checks that need to be done, tyre pressures - had it been in an accident etc etc.
Any way will find out next week. hope tey can sort out as its something I'm aware of.
It's not dangerous, with both hands on teh wheel not really aware of it but when driving with one hand I'm just aware of this and it very subtle. But let go of the steering wheel and sure enough it drifts off.

I also asked about setting the rear lights to be on with the DRLs. First request they had had and asked BMW technical and came back with its down to EU regilation introduced sometime in 2011 (don't remember the month) and that they can't change this. (which i took to read that the software they have doesn't let them)

I mentioned E-SYS software to the guy as i thought this was BMW software (is that correct?) but he said did i mena ISIS and I said no.
He hadn't heard of that.

back to the miini cooper S coupe. Didn't like this at all, was a manual which I hadn't driven for many years!. Felt life sitting in a letterbox with small windows.
When I got back to sit in my 5 at the end of the day, I felt like a king. the difference was just imense. It can be very easy to forget how good this car is and how much better (IMHO) it is compared to tehr others , even those from the same manufacturer.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2012, 02:15 PM   #24
gspannu
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 535, F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
ok visited dealer today and they took the car for a few hours.
Explained I appreciated that the camber will have an effect on teh car but that I didn't notice this drift off to the left on my E39
So they loaned me a mini cooper S coupe for the day (didn;'t like it but thats a different topic!).
on my return the mechanic who had tested teh car said it was all within spec but felt it was worth a KDS check. So agreed there was 'something' not quite right- enough to warrant a KDS check anyway which is covered under warranty.
Need to get the car back in a week to get that completed.
Service dept also did a search on the topic and came back with PUMA and various checks that need to be done, tyre pressures - had it been in an accident etc etc.
Any way will find out next week. hope tey can sort out as its something I'm aware of.
It's not dangerous, with both hands on teh wheel not really aware of it but when driving with one hand I'm just aware of this and it very subtle. But let go of the steering wheel and sure enough it drifts off.

I also asked about setting the rear lights to be on with the DRLs. First request they had had and asked BMW technical and came back with its down to EU regilation introduced sometime in 2011 (don't remember the month) and that they can't change this. (which i took to read that the software they have doesn't let them)

I mentioned E-SYS software to the guy as i thought this was BMW software (is that correct?) but he said did i mena ISIS and I said no.
He hadn't heard of that.

back to the miini cooper S coupe. Didn't like this at all, was a manual which I hadn't driven for many years!. Felt life sitting in a letterbox with small windows.
When I got back to sit in my 5 at the end of the day, I felt like a king. the difference was just imense. It can be very easy to forget how good this car is and how much better (IMHO) it is compared to tehr others , even those from the same manufacturer.
Thank you for your response. Do let us know how you get on with the KDS check.

If you need help on coding DRL; give a shout...
      06-13-2012, 02:38 PM   #25
AP
Major General
Rep

thanks , I might just do that. Get the tracking sorted out first....

I also have a more local dealer investigating turning off auto stop / start.
The mechanic I spoke to at this dealer said I was the first to ask if it could be turned off (or at least remember the last setting) which I was surpised at , I was under the impression most people didn't like it , maybe I'm wrong on that!
He's going to submit a case to BMW about it. I suspect I know what the answer will be but no harm asking.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 05:56 AM   #26
AP
Major General
Rep

Well I got an answer back from BMW about disabling auto stop start , no real surpises there but pasting in for info.

Whilst it is technically possible to perform this operation,we are currently are having in-house discussions, as BMW may be obliged to inform DVLA that this modification has been performed, which could affect the way road tax is calculated for the vehicle.I would therefore advise you from going down this route, as the benefits of the MSA stop-start function far outweigh any inconveniences the customer maybe experiencing during their early stages of ownership. Furthermore, BMW customer care clinics have shown that in nearly all cases, customers believe the MSA stop-start function is a valid benefit to have and this is reflected by the growing number of car competitors who are also starting to introduce this feature into their range.Finally, please be reminded that if the vehicle is an automatic, should a customer wish to deactivate the system on one occasion, the brake pedal can be depressed twice in quick succession whilst the vehicle is coming to a standstill.

Seems daft to me as you can turn it off anyway.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2012, 04:14 AM   #27
gspannu
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 535, F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
Well I got an answer back from BMW about disabling auto stop start , no real surpises there but pasting in for info.

Whilst it is technically possible to perform this operation,we are currently are having in-house discussions, as BMW may be obliged to inform DVLA that this modification has been performed, which could affect the way road tax is calculated for the vehicle.I would therefore advise you from going down this route, as the benefits of the MSA stop-start function far outweigh any inconveniences the customer maybe experiencing during their early stages of ownership. Furthermore, BMW customer care clinics have shown that in nearly all cases, customers believe the MSA stop-start function is a valid benefit to have and this is reflected by the growing number of car competitors who are also starting to introduce this feature into their range.Finally, please be reminded that if the vehicle is an automatic, should a customer wish to deactivate the system on one occasion, the brake pedal can be depressed twice in quick succession whilst the vehicle is coming to a standstill.

Seems daft to me as you can turn it off anyway.
BMW do have a point, and if the tax bracket does get affected; then I suppose they are legally bound.

Still think its daft that it is not an option.

… but hey, we love these cars and part of this idiosyncrasy is also fun… Why else would be coding and trying to hack these beasts?