2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Warning!! Extreme Levels of EMFs coming from BMW
Closed Thread

05-04-2016, 05:14 PM   #1
Fast F30
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 13 335i

Warning!! Extreme Levels of EMFs coming from BMW

Please
Has anyone experienced the following symptom's while driving thier 7 Series Bmw or any other BMW model.......

Headaches
Dizziness
Muffled Hearing
Brain fog or haze
Fatigue
Nausea
Feeling like vomiting
Overall sick feeling
Vertigo
Migraine Headaches
Etc....

This is why I ask......

I just purchased a week ago, the last available (that I could find) brand new 2015 750li from the dealer with only 70 miles on it. While driving it home, almost immediately my wife and daughter started complaining about feeling sick. At first I didn't believe it (how could a brand new top of the line 750li be causing them to feel sick?) but, then after some research online I found out about EMFs or Electromagnetic Fields.(Please Google EMFs for the full explanation.) I learned that study's/research have shown that BMW is one of the top emitters of EMF waves. So I bought a Gauss meter (tool used to measure EMF levels) to do some testing inside the car. I couldn't believe my eyes. The levels it was emitting were 50-100 times more than what was considered a safe exposure level. To put this in perspective I used the Gauss Meter to test my 1100 watt microwave while heating some food in my kitchen. As you can imagine, the microwave caused the Gauss Meter to spike past the maximum 100 mark on the meter.(We all know the harmful effects of a microwave.) It actually went so far that it couldn't go any further. I then took the Gauss meter inside the BMW, started the engine and wouldn't you know it gave the same maximum reading as my microwave.(example the worst spots were the passenger floor, passenger seat, and back passenger seat) How's that for crazy? So basically I realized that driving the 750li was equivalent to standing next to my microwave while its in use. No wonder my wife and daughter were feeling ill.

I have more details to share but at this point I wanted to put some feelers out to see if anyone else is experiencing anything similar with there BMWs.
Please feel free to respond with any similar situations you might be experiencing. I feel a great need to expose the truth about the dangers of certain cars (BMW and others) producing extreme levels of EMFs. I'm hoping this information will save others from experiencing EMFs the hard way like my family and I did.
Thanks and I look forward to your response.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 06:13 PM   #2
Fast F30
Private First Class
Rep

Interesting read.......http://www.ahappyhabitat.com/cars.html
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 07:22 PM   #3
DDD31
Captain
Rep
Drives: 24 M3CS, 95 E320, 85 300CD

Probably works even better with a tinfoil hat.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 08:58 PM   #4
PJinCA
USAF Pararescue Veteran
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535

I guess this means I can make popcorn on my center console now?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 09:25 PM   #5
silo24
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 LCI 535d

Not particularly surprising that EMF is higher in modern cars given the huge number of displays and lighting circuits in them.

Electromagnetic fields will generally not cause symptoms in people. There are obviously those that are more susceptible but reducing EMF is probably not a real option when looking at the number of people affected vs the cost of doing so.

LED lighting will be the biggest cause reckon. It's not a simple DC lighting circuit but a PWM controlled system which effectively makes it act as AC, which is what creates the fields.

I would suggest that if the car is really manifesting that list of symptoms that it's time to get rid and buy a classic without modern conveniences.
      05-04-2016, 09:31 PM   #6
silo24
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Oh, and personally would think the odours in the car (post manufacture the components give off different chemicals) were far more likely to make your family ill than EMF.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/new-car-smell-toxic.htm
      05-04-2016, 09:42 PM   #7
PJinCA
USAF Pararescue Veteran
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by silo24 View Post
Not particularly surprising that EMF is higher in modern cars given the huge number of displays and lighting circuits in them.

Electromagnetic fields will generally not cause symptoms in people. There are obviously those that are more susceptible but reducing EMF is probably not a real option when looking at the number of people affected vs the cost of doing so.

LED lighting will be the biggest cause reckon. It's not a simple DC lighting circuit but a PWM controlled system which effectively makes it act as AC, which is what creates the fields.

I would suggest that if the car is really manifesting that list of symptoms that it's time to get rid and buy a classic without modern conveniences.
Not sure about that, our cars use much less copper wiring than a lot of other cars. Our cars have quite a bit of fiber optic cabling, which means 0 EMF, fiber using light instead of electrical pulses don't emit EMF. We are safer in our cars than say a Honda Civic when it comes to EMF
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 09:47 PM   #8
silo24
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJinCA

Not sure about that, our cars use much less copper wiring than a lot of other cars. Our cars have quite a bit of fiber optic cabling, which means 0 EMF, fiber using light instead of electrical pulses don't emit EMF. We are safer in our cars than say a Honda Civic when it comes to EMF
Take the example of the dimmable interior lighting accents in the doors and dash areas.

These have a number of single LED's, connected at intervals to plastic light pipes.

Each of these LED's also has a live and ground signal attached and the voltage to these is switched on and off rapidly. This is what creates the EMF.

The Honda won't have that lighting system and therefore won't generate that EMF. it may have more copper wire, but if that's non pulsed DC, the EMF will be lower.

As for the in car displays, this is another major cause as they have multiple power conversions and dimmer circuits embedded. Each of these will also cause EMF

Either way, and as interesting as it is, I think it's another pseudoscience thing that will never be totally proven either way from an illness perspective.
      05-05-2016, 12:48 AM   #9
Alcenos
Field Marshal 🔱
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition (F90)

Garage List
The EU regulations for EMC (electromagnetic compliance) are actually much more strict from both a radiated and conducted emissions standpoint compared to those in North America. The electronics for BMW are designed to meet the more difficult European standards. While it is known that high levels of EMI will make you feel ill, I would not expect that this was the source of the illness, but most likely the degassing of the organic materials.
2002 E46 325i - Space Grey (retired)
1999 E46 328i - Orient Blue (retired)
Appreciate 1
      05-05-2016, 07:15 AM   #10
Gpfarrell
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 6MT Imperial Blue 550i M-sport

Cool, my 50 year old big block Mercury is a Zero EMF vehicle! Can I park in the Prius weenie spots now?
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
      05-05-2016, 09:28 AM   #11
Fast F30
Private First Class
Rep

I suspected off-gassing might be a possible culprit also, So I did a test to find out if it was the cause. I had my daughter sit in the back seat and read a book for 20 minutes with the doors and windows closed to see if it gave her the same "sick" feelings as she got while driving. She said she felt fine, no bad feelings. So I had her move up front for a few more minutes and still no bad feelings. I then started the car, let it idle for a couple of minutes, drove forward 10 feet and back 10 feet and she started feeling the overall sickness start up. By doing this I was able to rule out the new car smell as the culprit.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 09:31 AM   #12
Fast F30
Private First Class
Rep

Check out the EMF numbesr from this research study. BMW was one of the highest emitters.
http://www.ahappyhabitat.com/cars.html
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 09:37 AM   #13
belal242
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11 F10 550xi

Garage List
2011 550xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast F30 View Post
I suspected off-gassing might be a possible culprit also, So I did a test to find out if it was the cause. I had my daughter sit in the back seat and read a book for 20 minutes with the doors and windows closed to see if it gave her the same "sick" feelings as she got while driving. She said she felt fine, no bad feelings. So I had her move up front for a few more minutes and still no bad feelings. I then started the car, let it idle for a couple of minutes, drove forward 10 feet and back 10 feet and she started feeling the overall sickness start up. By doing this I was able to rule out the new car smell as the culprit.
Now, I suggest you go to your local BMW dealership, re-do your test in another 750. If she is fine, give them your 750 back and get another before too much time goes by.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 10:43 AM   #14
Fast F30
Private First Class
Rep

Working on it
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 10:49 AM   #15
PJinCA
USAF Pararescue Veteran
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpfarrell View Post
Cool, my 50 year old big block Mercury is a Zero EMF vehicle! Can I park in the Prius weenie spots now?
That car is friggin awesome
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 11:06 AM   #16
silo24
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast F30
Even with this test I'd still favour off gassing.

Try driving the car with the ventilation system switched off. This would eliminate the AC/Ventilation system harbouring something nasty.
      05-05-2016, 12:34 PM   #17
PJinCA
USAF Pararescue Veteran
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by silo24 View Post
Even with this test I'd still favour off gassing.

Try driving the car with the ventilation system switched off. This would eliminate the AC/Ventilation system harbouring something nasty.
^^^^That is a great idea. Even in a new car, if it has been sitting on the dealer lot for some time without being run regularly, it can easily develop mold in the vents from condensation (not really unusual here in California). It may be something as simple as having the dealer clean out the vents and you're good to go
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 12:40 PM   #18
Fast F30
Private First Class
Rep

Good suggestion. I will mention to the dealer to check
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 06:40 PM   #19
Fast F30
Private First Class
Rep

FYI.....http://www.ahappyhabitat.com/
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 07:55 PM   #20
DDD31
Captain
Rep
Drives: 24 M3CS, 95 E320, 85 300CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast F30 View Post
Give it a rest, you keep posting the same link in multiple forums (3er, 5er, 7er, and general forum). That website's purpose seems to be to sell EMF meters rather than providing exhaustive scientific research data on EMFs.
Here is a link to the World Health Organization's research on the subject http://www.who.int/peh-emf/about/Wha...en/index1.html

They state "Despite extensive research, there is no evidence to conclude that exposure to low level electromagnetic fields is harmful to human health.

Why not blame inhalation of Chemtrails next and post links to their exhaustive scientific research.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 09:05 PM   #21
Boulder Bill
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Porsche Cayman GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDD31 View Post
Give it a rest, you keep posting the same link in multiple forums (3er, 5er, 7er, and general forum). That website's purpose seems to be to sell EMF meters rather than providing exhaustive scientific research data on EMFs.
Here is a link to the World Health Organization's research on the subject http://www.who.int/peh-emf/about/Wha...en/index1.html

They state "Despite extensive research, there is no evidence to conclude that exposure to low level electromagnetic fields is harmful to human health.

Why not blame inhalation of Chemtrails next and post links to their exhaustive scientific research.
Thanks for speaking my mind.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 11:31 PM   #22
Fast F30
Private First Class
Rep

Do you think it could be Chemtrails? Should I remove my foil hat?
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread