2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Dynamic Handling Package?

10-09-2012, 11:07 AM   #1
///MD
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: panamera

Dynamic Handling Package?

Went to my local dealer last night test drive a 535 M-sport. Big dealer, supposedly with large inventory. Plenty of M-sport in stock but non with dynamic handling package. the salesperson wasn't even aware of the package. After bringing it to his attention he searched inventory and said that there were only 6 in the western US and were all spec ordered and non in socal. Is that even possible? Any suggestions on how I can get behind the wheel of one with this package. I'm hoping this package would provide a more pleasurable driving experience. If not, I might have to actually consider the A6.

Thanks for the input.
Pej
      10-09-2012, 07:37 PM   #2
///MD
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: panamera

thoughts?
      10-10-2012, 01:03 AM   #3
ibimmer954
Major
Rep
Drives: '23 i4 M50, '15 M3, '18 911

Garage List
It's common to order a car. That way you get the packages you really want. It just takes a little time for it to be delivered. If you like the best handling I also recommend the Integral Active Steering package which offers 4-wheel steering.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 01:05 AM   #4
LastFrontierBimmer
Private
Rep
Drives: '14 F32 435i xDrive MSport

Are you referring to "Dynamic Damper Control" (DDC) as BMW calls it? If yes, I find it unpleasantly amusing that they would market an "M Sport" package without DDC. It seems that would make it all about looks without function. The "Sport Package" (non-M) on my '12 F10 535xi came with (in the order listed): DDC; Leather Sports Steering Wheel (same as "M" but without the "M" emblem); 19" Alloy V-Spoke Wheels; Multi-contour Seats (a must); Shadowline Exterior Trim; and, Anthracite Headliner.

The DDC, seats and 19" wheels are all very function-oriented IMHO. So I've got all the functional "sport" features of the M Sport but without the M body-package, which is how I wanted it.

I have no idea how the 535i suspension rides without DDC but I can tell you that I use DDC regularly. I like to leave it in "comfort" setting when simply tooling around on bumpy, crap roads. Then on longer drives, I set "sport" mode to firm chassis but with the "soft" throttle response to improve handling while saving fuel. When I want to get on it, I put it in "sport+", which virtually eliminates body-roll, disables traction control, and defaults to aggressive throttle response. For me, "M Sport" without DDC would be a deal-breaker, as I have no desire to have the "M" look without functional features.

For '13, I understand that the "sport" package with Multi-contour seats may be no more, and you've got to order them separately. Perhaps they've watered-down the "M Sport" package too? I don't know - perhaps someone more familiar with the Bimmer line can comment.
2014 435i xDrive MSport / Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Dakota Leather / MPPK / 6MT / 19" / M Sport Brakes / DINAN Springs / Bilstein B8 / Technology Package / Premium Package / Cold Weather Package / Driver Assist / HK Sound
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 07:32 AM   #5
Silververtu
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 50i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastFrontierBimmer View Post
Are you referring to "Dynamic Damper Control" (DDC) as BMW calls it? If yes, I find it unpleasantly amusing that they would market an "M Sport" package without DDC. It seems that would make it all about looks without function. The "Sport Package" (non-M) on my '12 F10 535xi came with (in the order listed): DDC; Leather Sports Steering Wheel (same as "M" but without the "M" emblem); 19" Alloy V-Spoke Wheels; Multi-contour Seats (a must); Shadowline Exterior Trim; and, Anthracite Headliner.

The DDC, seats and 19" wheels are all very function-oriented IMHO. So I've got all the functional "sport" features of the M Sport but without the M body-package, which is how I wanted it.

I have no idea how the 535i suspension rides without DDC but I can tell you that I use DDC regularly. I like to leave it in "comfort" setting when simply tooling around on bumpy, crap roads. Then on longer drives, I set "sport" mode to firm chassis but with the "soft" throttle response to improve handling while saving fuel. When I want to get on it, I put it in "sport+", which virtually eliminates body-roll, disables traction control, and defaults to aggressive throttle response. For me, "M Sport" without DDC would be a deal-breaker, as I have no desire to have the "M" look without functional features.

For '13, I understand that the "sport" package with Multi-contour seats may be no more, and you've got to order them separately. Perhaps they've watered-down the "M Sport" package too? I don't know - perhaps someone more familiar with the Bimmer line can comment.
Thanks for the feedback. I ordered a MY13 with M sport + DDC but I am not too sure whether it's worth the extra $1k. None of the dealers in my town have DDC on their cars so I did not get a chance to try it.

DDC is not part of M sport pkg for MY13.

Gone but not forgotten:
2006 2.0T A4 Avant, 2007 Z4 Roadster 3.0si, 2006 M Roadster, 2013 550i M Sport, 2015 Cayman S, 2015 X5 50i M Sport
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 08:05 AM   #6
bubbahead
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 G05 40i Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silververtu View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I ordered a MY13 with M sport + DDC but I am not too sure whether it's worth the extra $1k. None of the dealers in my town have DDC on their cars so I did not get a chance to try it.

If you didn't get it then you wouldn't really know what DDC feels like. But if your someone who appreciates taking corners and a good driving experience then the DDC is worth the 1k
2011 550ix msport
2009 e92 335i msport
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 10:19 AM   #7
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastFrontierBimmer View Post

I would also definitely reccommend the DDC, Sounds strange that there ar so few in the US with it. Around here I would guess 30-50% of the F10's have the feature.

I don't quite agree with your view on the M-sport without DDC is just about looks. The M-sport without DDC does come with M-sport suspension that is different from the non-m cars. So the M-sport option gives you a car with better handling even without the DDC.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 01:58 PM   #8
LastFrontierBimmer
Private
Rep
Drives: '14 F32 435i xDrive MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silververtu View Post

I think it's a grand well spent. You'll have no regrets, especially given that it's a small proportion of the total expense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330 View Post
I don't quite agree with your view on the M-sport without DDC is just about looks. The M-sport without DDC does come with M-sport suspension that is different from the non-m cars. So the M-sport option gives you a car with better handling even without the DDC.
I gladly stand corrected. I tried to be open about my relative ignorance regarding the plethora of options and variations available from BMW. I agree that improved suspension (springs, shocks, etc.) is a very substantial way to improve ride even without the newfangled electronic enhancements.
2014 435i xDrive MSport / Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Dakota Leather / MPPK / 6MT / 19" / M Sport Brakes / DINAN Springs / Bilstein B8 / Technology Package / Premium Package / Cold Weather Package / Driver Assist / HK Sound
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 09:02 PM   #9
BimmerGuyFL
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 BMW 535i M-sport

Let me chime in. I just bought a 2013 535i with M-sport. The 2013 model year is the first time in the U.S. that you can get the M-sport suspension with the F10. I have driven MANY F10 5-series since it came out since I work for BMW. The handling on the 2013 M-sport package 5-series with just the M-sport tuned suspension is amazing1 It feels supple on the road, yet the corning is stable and precise with VERY little body roll. I am glad they finally made this as the standard suspension for the M-sports package because this is what the F10 really needed. It is lower than the regular standard suspension or the DDC or Dynamic handling package by 10mm. For those who felt that the 5-series got too soft with the F10 redesign, the way to go is to get the M-sports package and not get the Dynamic handling package or DDC.
2013 F10 BMW 535i Alpine White / Oyster Dakota Leather / Anthracite Wood Trim / Steptronic transmission / M Sport Package / Premium Package / Technology Package / Rear-view camera / Park Distance Control
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 09:07 PM   #10
JimmyD
Jimmy D. 2011 F-10 550i Sport, Black Sapphire
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 F-10 550i

Garage List
2011 BMW 550i  [0.00]
Just build the car the way you want, it will be here in 2 months with everything you want, and you dont wind up paying for things you dont want...like heated rear seats...lol, definatly get the heads up display, the gps also shows directions in the glass so you dont have to look at the screen, saves you from getting tickets also.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2012, 08:10 AM   #11
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

///MD,

It might be easlier to find a Msport with just dynamic damper control than with the dynamic handling package, the difference is the Active Roll Stabilization.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2012, 03:22 PM   #12
Keyser Soze
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5

I wish BMW had communicated this better back in July as I would have never ordered mine with DDC (which I can't even tell does very much) as the crappiest roads still feel very smooth to me compared to my fully tweaked out E46.

So I spent $1,000 on DDC I don't really care for and then another $550 for ACS springs now sitting in my garage, and then probably another $500 to get them installed.
      10-16-2012, 07:33 PM   #13
hasan68
Brazil
Rep
Drives: 13" 535i Cashmere Silver

I ordered my 535i with DDC (223) as stand alone option not as part of Adaptive Drive (2VA), so this means i dont have the Dynamic Drive (229).

What is the deference of having DDC alone from having Adaptive Drive since I also have the selector for comfort, sport, sport+ ?
      10-17-2012, 02:24 AM   #14
FElleven
Private
Rep
Drives: F11 M550d

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasan68 View Post
I ordered my 535i with DDC (223) as stand alone option not as part of Adaptive Drive (2VA), so this means i dont have the Dynamic Drive (229).

What is the deference of having DDC alone from having Adaptive Drive since I also have the selector for comfort, sport, sport+ ?
When I was testing, DDC is not worth it. On Normal mode (which i spent 98% of my driving) the car felt unconnected from the road, non DDC equipped car on Normal was so much better. But when I was testing the car equipped with full Adaptive Drive, now that made a huge difference, specially body-roll over corners. If BMW would offer that on 2.0L diesel engines I would definitely get it, but unfortunately for smaller engines there is only DDC option which I was happy to pass. If you can afford 2VA, go for it, you will not regret it, if not, ditch the DDC and maybe go with passive M-Suspension if you want a bit sportier 5er.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 10:29 AM   #15
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by FElleven View Post

But when I was testing the car equipped with full Adaptive Drive, now that made a huge difference, specially body-roll over corners. If BMW would offer that on 2.0L diesel engines I would definitely get it, but unfortunately for smaller engines there is only DDC option which I was happy to pass. If you can afford 2VA, go for it, you will not regret it, if not, ditch the DDC and maybe go with passive M-Suspension if you want a bit sportier 5er.
I agree, 'full cream' Adaptive Drive (2VA), or the passive M-sport suspension.

For me, it is the better roll control that makes the suspension. My F11 535i wagon is fitted with Adaptive Drive, best BMW suspension I've ever driven, and that compared against the E39 passive M-tech suspension which I viewed as the perfect BMW road setup.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0