2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding Aux power for dash camera

09-26-2014, 12:21 PM   #1
CraigUK
Captain
Rep
Drives: F11 LCI 520D Sport Tourer

Aux power for dash camera

Hi, I've just bought a dash cam which is powered from a standard mini USB lead so 5VDC. I'm looking for an auxiliary power point ideally at the front of the car i.e. in the dashboard and ideally 5VDC although if not available then 12VDC will be ok with a power converter.

My first thought was the USB port in the glovebox but from what limited testing I've done it appears to remain powered after the car is turned off. It may possibly be on a timer but if it is then it powers on as soon as the doors are unlocked. Any idea on how best to check that it does turn off?

If the USB port isn't any good then what's my next best option? I'm looking to have this permanently wired so don't want to have it plugged into any of the cigarette lighter sockets. My cars a 2013 model too which means that I've only got two of these sockets in the cabin.

Looking forward to useful suggestions
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2014, 02:52 PM   #2
Reallybro
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i M-Sport AW

I wired my dash cam to the power outlet under the glove box. I tucked the wiring around the gap in the headliner, popped off the glove box screws, ran wiring through there, & plugged it in under the box. Low profile socket adapter came with the cam. Can't even see it unless you know it's there. There is no full time power in our cars. Everything shuts down after shut off, some longer than others, but after 10 mins I guess, all inputs shut down to save the battery. If your cam has an internal battery, then that should run for awhile after car is turned off

Last edited by Reallybro; 09-27-2014 at 02:58 PM..
Appreciate 0