2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Help with options and anybody coming from Audi A6

10-21-2010, 08:31 PM   #1
ygillard
Rep
Drives: AUDI A6 Allroad

Help with options and anybody coming from Audi A6

Hello,

I am looking at replacing my 06 Audi 4.2 s-line and after looking at a lot of options in my price range, the new 5 series is on top of the list.

I have seen a few threads between the 535 and 550 and, I have to admit, I am still undecided between the two. I test drove both but test drives always feel too short so it is hard to make an opinion. Anybody coming from the same car I am who could compare the performance of the 5 series (I think Soon ExAudi Guy had an A6 before moving to the 535)

I like to push my car once in a while, like low end torque and want performance/handling to be better than what I have but at the same time, I do not track my car.

Regarding options, I found a nice 550 for a good price with all the options I would like except comfort access and dynamic handling (it has sport pkg and sport automatic). Does the dynamic handling really makes a difference if you do not track your car?

Thx.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2010, 10:24 PM   #2
bm323
Captain
Rep
Drives: 12.2 E92 M3 ZCP; 12.7 C63

Since it has the sport auto transmission, it has the dynamic drive control/toggle switch which is a must have.

Even if not tracking a car, the dynamic handling is good for its active anti-roll. As regards whether the (tightness of the) chassis and without anti-roll is adequate, good if you can test drive this car back to back against one with dynamic handling and test the latter in sport mode (testing it with chassis ticked in iDrive, and then chassis and drivetrain both ticked).

In any event, must test drive the 550i and check whether it has the problems faced by some forummers on this board eg pull to the right, car wandering when going straight.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2010, 08:26 PM   #3
Soon ExAudi Guy
Week 36 Build
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ygillard View Post
Hello,

I am looking at replacing my 06 Audi 4.2 s-line and after looking at a lot of options in my price range, the new 5 series is on top of the list.

I have seen a few threads between the 535 and 550 and, I have to admit, I am still undecided between the two. I test drove both but test drives always feel too short so it is hard to make an opinion. Anybody coming from the same car I am who could compare the performance of the 5 series (I think Soon ExAudi Guy had an A6 before moving to the 535)

I like to push my car once in a while, like low end torque and want performance/handling to be better than what I have but at the same time, I do not track my car.

Regarding options, I found a nice 550 for a good price with all the options I would like except comfort access and dynamic handling (it has sport pkg and sport automatic). Does the dynamic handling really makes a difference if you do not track your car?

Thx.
Good choice. The 5 series is simply a superior car in all ways -- driveability, performance, fit/finish, etc. Audi, IMO, used to have the leg up on interiors. The 2011 F10 changes that.

I test drove the 550 and 535 multiple times, back to back, on different days. Tell your dealer, as I did, that you want a couple of back to back 90 minute drives. Go around your normal routes. Ultimately I went with the 535 and have no regrets. The 550 is way more engine than the A6 4.2. No doubt, had I chosen the 550, I would love it.

The 535 has slightly lower power specs than the 4.2, but just feels faster and has PLENTY of performance for the kind of driving you want to do (you describe what I want out of the car as well). I bet if you took the 4.2 and 535 back to back, you would not find it different other than the fact that the 535 handles better (especially if you opt for a RWD).

I loaded up my 535 with every option but IAS and night vision. To me, all of the upgraded bells and whistles that provide better driveabilility, flexibility and comfort is worth it. Load up your car with as much as you can afford!

It's ultimately your choice of course. If you can open up the car on highways without traffic regularly, and just want to blow the doors off of everyone, go with the 550. If you want to have a car that drives similar or better than your 4.2, and would not mind better fuel economy to boot, go with the 535. Either way, you won't go wrong and you'll be glad you chose the 5 series.
Appreciate 0