2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Headlight condensation, will TSB cover at no cost?

09-29-2020, 11:13 PM   #1
Kas5gd
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i Coupe

Hey all, I hope this finds you well.
I recently bought a used 2012 535i from an Audi dealer, and after test driving it in rainy conditions, I noticed some condensation in the headlight assembly on the driver's side. I've owned a E92 LCI before that had condensation build up and then go away so I wasn't too worried about it and bought the F10 from the dealer.

After driving in moderate rain tonight, I noticed A LOT of condensation and droplets in the same driver side headlight assembly while the passenger side remains bone dry.

I have done some research and see a couple TSBs for this issue. Since the car is used and out of warranty, what are my chances of getting this headlight assembly swapped out for a new one at no cost? If I do have to pay, can anyone tell me how much they were charged? Would it be better for me to just buy a new assembly and swap it out myself?
If I just bought a new assembly but reused all the modules and other electronics, would I need to initialize the lights to get them to work or is that not necessary since the modules I would be using are already programmed to my car?

Any insight on this would greatly be appreciated. Thank you!!

(The last photo is the passenger side assembly taken at the same time with no condensation inside)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-30-2020, 04:19 PM   #2
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2019 330xi, 2017 Q7

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
I would say that it never hurts to ask a dealer (nicely). Sometimes SA will go the distance for you with BMW. Its revenue for them too.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2020, 05:35 PM   #3
OnlyGerman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, F13, F10, E60

No way they will do anything. Some condensation is normal but yours seems extreme. You can buy a new assembly and move over modules. I would hurry, your current issue can cause damage do modules.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2020, 06:17 PM   #4
jarsdad1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i, 2015 X1 3.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyGerman View Post
No way they will do anything. Some condensation is normal but you're seems extreme. You can buy a new assembly and move over modules. I would hurry, your current issue can cause damage do modules.
+1
You bought a 12 year old car from an Audi dealership. I doubt any BMW dwaler would offer any goodwill. You saw the issue and bought the car anyway. Just fix it.
Appreciate 1
      10-01-2020, 03:39 PM   #5
loobie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 535xi

Warranty

Even a used car should come with some type of warranty unless sold as is. Check your paperwork as this would be a safety issue they need to fix
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2020, 03:52 PM   #6
Kas5gd
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Thank you all for the replies.
Unfortunately the car was sold "as is", and the audi dealer said they don't do any work on BMWs. During the test drive, there was only condensation in the headlight, not big water droplets like the other night that's why I didn't think too much of it since condensation is normal in these lights.

I contacted BMWNA and they said I would have to pay for it even though there's several TSBs on the issue.

My plan now is to just buy a new assembly and swap over my modules. I still don't know if any coding will be required once I move my existing modules (that are all working) over to the new assembly.

Also, the morning after those photos were taken, surprisingly 90% of that condensation had cleared up even though it was sitting in the rain all night long.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2020, 07:24 PM   #7
TZ
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i xDrive, 2014 435i CO

You need to dry it up ASAP before it further damages the head light control module.

I had the similar issue and removed the whole head light resealed it. I found the moisture was trapped at two head light housing covers (one on top, one on back) and the control module electrical connector.

You can try just leave the top cover off (which is a lot easier) if you don't see a direct water intrusion from there. This will allow the moisture dry out as well, once the head light turns on.

Interesting thing is all I have seen the head light condensation are driver side head lights!
Attached Images

Service Manual: www.newtis.info
Part: http://www.realoem.com

Last edited by TZ; 10-01-2020 at 07:39 PM..
Appreciate 1
      10-01-2020, 08:32 PM   #8
OnlyGerman
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by loobie View Post
Even a used car should come with some type of warranty unless sold as is. Check your paperwork as this would be a safety issue they need to fix
99% of used cars are sold as is.........not sure if you have bought a used car. AND if not, it is LIMITED to some bogus 3k/3 month or even lifetime power train warranty. Those are always too good to be true.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2020, 08:34 PM   #9
OnlyGerman
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kas5gd View Post
Unfortunately the car was sold "as is", and the audi dealer said they don't do any work on BMWs. During the test drive, there was only condensation in the headlight, not big water droplets like the other night that's why I didn't think too much of it since condensation is normal in these lights.

I contacted BMWNA and they said I would have to pay for it even though there's several TSBs on the issue.

My plan now is to just buy a new assembly and swap over my modules. I still don't know if any coding will be required once I move my existing modules (that are all working) over to the new assembly.

Also, the morning after those photos were taken, surprisingly 90% of that condensation had cleared up even though it was sitting in the rain all night long.
Not sure but can you reseal the original headlight since it's overall still OK? OP, I would try to talk to the dealer about it, maybe they can spilt the cost. I know those whole assembly's are not cheap. I paid $450 for a very nice one including all modules
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2020, 08:40 PM   #10
Kas5gd
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Not sure but can you reseal the original headlight since it's overall still OK?
I wouldn't even know where to begin to reseal them. I am pretty good with my hands and I've worked on BMWs many times before, so I know I'll be able to remove the bumper and the headlight assembly, but as for resealing them, I'm clueless.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2020, 08:59 PM   #11
TZ
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i xDrive, 2014 435i CO

Quote:
I wouldn't even know where to begin to reseal them. I am pretty good with my hands and I've worked on BMWs many times before, so I know I'll be able to remove the bumper and the headlight assembly, but as for resealing them, I'm clueless.
All I did was reconditioned the rubber seal of those three parts in arrows. I didn't see any crack on the housing.

You don't have to remove the entire bumper to get the lamp assembly. You only need to loose some screws on one end.

As far as I know, if you swap the whole lamp assembly, you need to code the new one. Or you keep the old control module if it is still good.

Service Manual: www.newtis.info
Part: http://www.realoem.com
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2020, 09:06 PM   #12
Kas5gd
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TZ View Post
Quote:
All I did was reconditioned the rubber seal of those three parts in arrows. I didn't see any crack on the housing.

You don't have to remove the entire bumper to get the lamp assembly. You only need to loose some screws on one end.

As far as I know, if you swap the whole lamp assembly, you need to code the new one. Or you keep the old control module if it is still good.
I'll definitely look at all the seals once I remove the assembly. Did you buy new rubber seals to replace them?

I meant I would buy a new shell/assembly without all the modules and just use the ones I have.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2020, 09:30 PM   #13
OnlyGerman
Major
United_States
Rep

Just so you know, I bought a entirely used headlight with all modules and my Indy just plugged that one in and it did not require anything. We thought the module would need to be reinitiated but nope.

I would be looking into sealing and just seeing how it goes. Why drop $$$ on a replacement light if you can simply fix your own....
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2020, 11:00 PM   #14
Kas5gd
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just so you know, I bought a entirely used headlight with all modules and my Indy just plugged that one in and it did not require anything. We thought the module would need to be reinitiated but nope.

I would be looking into sealing and just seeing how it goes. Why drop $$$ on a replacement light if you can simply fix your own....
Honestly, $450 is not a bad price at all. The ones I found online are going for $1,000+ just for the empty shell. I'd gladly pay $450 for a decent used assembly and modules
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2020, 08:19 AM   #15
OnlyGerman
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Honestly, $450 is not a bad price at all. The ones I found online are going for $1,000+ just for the empty shell. I'd gladly pay $450 for a decent used assembly and modules
Still not sure why you can't fix your current one...
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2020, 08:32 AM   #16
Kas5gd
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I'm not quite sure how to go about it lol that's why. If I had a smoke machine I would be able to do a smoke test and see where the leak is but I don't, plus I don't even know what type of sealant/silicone to use, how to apply, curing time, etc. I would just feel better knowing I have a brand new assembly with no issues. If there's anyone in the Northern Virginia area who would like to do it, I'd be more than happy to pay them.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2020, 08:34 AM   #17
OnlyGerman
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I'm not quite sure how to go about it lol that's why. If I had a smoke machine I would be able to do a smoke test and see where the leak is but I don't, plus I don't even know what type of sealant/silicone to use, how to apply, curing time, etc. I would just feel better knowing I have a brand new assembly with no issues
I would just try it out. Worst comes you need another headlight just make sure replacement will come with all modules intact
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2020, 08:43 AM   #18
Kas5gd
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I'm not quite sure how to go about it lol that's why. If I had a smoke machine I would be able to do a smoke test and see where the leak is but I don't, plus I don't even know what type of sealant/silicone to use, how to apply, curing time, etc. I would just feel better knowing I have a brand new assembly with no issues
I would just try it out. Worst comes you need another headlight just make sure replacement will come with all modules intact
I'll give it a shot on my next day off when I can pull the assembly out. I'll keep you all posted
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2020, 08:46 AM   #19
OnlyGerman
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I'll give it a shot on my next day off when I can pull the assembly out. I'll keep you all posted
I'm pretty sure bumper has to come out, no way around it.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2020, 08:58 AM   #20
loobie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 535xi

Quote:
99% of used cars are sold as is.........not sure if you have bought a used car. AND if not, it is LIMITED to some bogus 3k/3 month or even lifetime power train warranty. Those are always too good to be true.
yup i have bought many...
It might be different in other states but in Massachusetts any car under 125k miles requires one.

https://www.mass.gov/guides/guide-to...e-warranty-law
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2020, 10:55 AM   #21
jarsdad1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i, 2015 X1 3.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by loobie View Post
yup i have bought many...
It might be different in other states but in Massachusetts any car under 125k miles requires one.

https://www.mass.gov/guides/guide-to...e-warranty-law
What are the covered defects? Is light condensation one of them?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2020, 12:15 PM   #22
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

TSB's are nothing more than factory instructions to the field techs. They are completely different than recalls.
Appreciate 2