2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications DINAN a total scam or not?

01-28-2013, 09:45 AM   #1
primetime1
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 550i F10

DINAN a total scam or not?

Hello all,

I am looking for other members that have experience with Dinan products, good or bad experience with their upgrades.

About 3 weeks ago I purchased a brand new BMW 550i after driving it for a couple of days I decided to take it to the BMW dealer in west palm and went for the DINAN stage 2 upgrade as well as their new Shokwave upgrade.

After spending over $4k. on these upgrades I then took my car to my trusted buddies at Active Autowerks in Miami for a Dyno, their dyno is showing that I only got about a 60hp increase nothing close to their 100hp advertised increase.

I also saw that the torque is way lower than they advertised.

Did I just have a bad tune? or is DINAN making millions by lying to their customers?

If DINAN believes they can take my $$ this easy they have something else coming. After speaking with my shop they tell me that theyve tested over 80 DINAN cars and never get the results advertised by DINAN.

Looking forward to everyones comments, like I said good or bad. I am hoping that my car was just done incorrectly and that everything will get better.

Attached is my Dyno run (please note that they tell me a 20% is lost between the wheels and the engine on the mustang Dyno)

CAR:
2012 550i
Stage 2 DINAN
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf Dinan Stg2 vs stk 2012 550i.pdf (35.5 KB, 232 views)
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 10:43 AM   #2
primetime1
Private
Rep

Update I called the BMW dealer they are speaking with someone at Dinan and promise to get back to me today with some answers
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 11:19 AM   #3
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: warp speed

I thought it's widely known that whatever Dinan advertised as "increase" will never come close to it ... and yet, we keep on buying into their hype. Not really understanding why people will pay that kind of ridiculous $ for upgrades in the first place ???
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 01:05 PM   #4
Hunter399
Major General
Rep
Drives: F90M5

I just got stage II installed last Thursday and the difference is unbelievable. I haven't made a trip to the dyno but I'm very happy with it and think it's well worth the money. Scott at BMW North in Houston is great, anyone in Houston should give him a call if they are in the market.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 01:10 PM   #5
primetime1
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter399 View Post
I just got stage II installed last Thursday and the difference is unbelievable. I haven't made a trip to the dyno but I'm very happy with it and think it's well worth the money. Scott at BMW North in Houston is great, anyone in Houston should give him a call if they are in the market.
Hunter I do also noticed an incredible difference, however the first time I drove a Porsche 911 Carrera I thought it was awesome but I wouldn't want to get a carrera when I paid for a turbo..

What I am trying to say is that, yes their product makes a difference and you can feel the difference, but if they are telling me I will get 100hp i want to get 100hp if not just tell me the truth and let me make my own decisions of getting it or not getting it.

If their product doesnt give you what the advertise we shall all get together with my counsel and demand money back.. I nor anyone should let a company get away with flat out lying

I am still waiting reply from the dealer, I will update everyone on what they tell me
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 02:44 PM   #6
wrecked2001
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i Msport/Imperial Blue

Mustang Dynos are known for their low numbers. My other car put 342hp to the wheels on a Dynojet, but put 306hp to the wheels on a Mustang dyno
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 04:10 PM   #7
taylorpetie
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3CX, F10 550i X-Drive

I did a google search and found the following dyno results for Dinan Stage 3 on F10.
***********.com/content.php?2498-Dinan-Stage-3-F10-550i-(N63-twin-turbo-V8)-tune-hits-411-horsepower-to-the-rear-wheels

Assuming 20-25% loss to wheels, the numbers seem close to Dinan claims for Stage 3? (yes, I understand you are only at Stage 2... but between Stage 2 and Stage 3, there is only a 20hp difference ... provided you got the exhaust). Obviously, I don't have Dinan software installed and can't speak from experience. Would be interesteing if more folks got their Dinan dyno'd

Last edited by taylorpetie; 01-28-2013 at 04:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 04:18 PM   #8
taylorpetie
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3CX, F10 550i X-Drive

I guess URLs aren't allowed on the posting... do a google search on the partial URL and you'll get the article.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorpetie View Post
I did a google search and found the following dyno results for Dinan Stage 3 on F10.
***********.com/content.php?2498-Dinan-Stage-3-F10-550i-(N63-twin-turbo-V8)-tune-hits-411-horsepower-to-the-rear-wheels

Assuming 20-25% loss to wheels, the numbers seem close to Dinan claims for Stage 3? (yes, I understand you are only at Stage 2... but between Stage 2 and Stage 3, there is only a 20hp difference ... provided you got the exhaust). Obviously, I don't have Dinan software installed and can't speak from experience. Would be interesteing if more folks got their Dinan dyno'd
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 04:25 PM   #9
bulldog_yyc
Major General
Rep
Drives: GT3RS

dinan always advertises crank numbers
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 04:56 PM   #10
Vinfast
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 550i M-Sport

I am very well please with my Stage 2. It was well worth the money. It turned my car into a monster -- it sure feels like 100hp to me. If not, it's close to it. I can't wait to get the Dinan shockware installed for my suspension. I've heard that it feels just like my 08 550i suspension which is what I've been searching for since I bought my 2011 550i.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 07:16 PM   #11
alextremo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorpetie View Post

That was my car, but you can't compare because I didn't do a before dyno at that shop. If you search on that forum you'll find another thread I started with similar results to primetime's. I wasn't happy with the delta at the time and was thinking the same thoughts about flashing back to stock because I didn't get the advertised gains. Not trying to justify, but one thing to remember is that (good or bad) dinan only advertise crank numbers so you can't expect to gain that much at the wheels. There is a white paper on the dinan site they will probably refer you to regarding the drawbacks of rolling road type dyno's and why you shouldn't trust their readings. Personally I still like having the data, even if the methods aren't perfect.

In the end I decided to stick with the tune since there was no other option at the time and it did have significant positive gains throughout the power band, even if they weren't as big as advertised.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 11:20 PM   #12
tony.m6
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6, CTS-V, F10 M5, TURBO-S

Quote:
Originally Posted by primetime1 View Post
Hunter I do also noticed an incredible difference, however the first time I drove a Porsche 911 Carrera I thought it was awesome but I wouldn't want to get a carrera when I paid for a turbo..

What I am trying to say is that, yes their product makes a difference and you can feel the difference, but if they are telling me I will get 100hp i want to get 100hp if not just tell me the truth and let me make my own decisions of getting it or not getting it.

If their product doesnt give you what the advertise we shall all get together with my counsel and demand money back.. I nor anyone should let a company get away with flat out lying

I am still waiting reply from the dealer, I will update everyone on what they tell me

I agree 100%
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 04:52 PM   #13
Juiced46
Major
Rep
Drives: 03 Turbo Cobra, 2011 335xi

I just want to clear a few things up for a few people that may not understand or are confused.

I know you are frustrated because you did not get the 100hp they claim. However there claim is HP @ the crank not to the wheels like you are comparing on the dyno so the results are going to be less. 100hp gain @ the crank does not= 100HP @ the wheels

Second- Its very hard to compare dyno #s when done on different days. Especially when one session was in August and the other in January. Weather conditions play a HUGE role in #s and how the car performs. Also it plays a very very big role on how the dyno #s are "corrected" through the software. That right there can be a 10-20hp difference maybe more maybe less.

Third-comparing dynojet #s to Mustang dyno #s isnt very accurate. If a car makes 400hp on a DJ its NOT going to make it on an MD. There really is no REAL conversion factor between DJ and MD #s, there are WAY to many variables.

One last thing as an example just to shed some light on dyno #s. You can do a pull and make XXX #s. If you strapped the car tighter or looser to the dyno and changed tire pressure, that alone with change the #s.

There are so many variables that come into play when dynoing a car its not even funny. If its not done on the same day on the same dyno its hard to get an accurate comparison. Trust me on this. I have dynoed cars hundreds of times. One of the reasons why we like to call the dyno the "heartbreaker" because it never makes what you think it will. There are just to many things that come into play when comparing this stuff and alot of people get wrapped up in #s.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 04:54 PM   #14
Juiced46
Major
Rep
Drives: 03 Turbo Cobra, 2011 335xi

Also one question. The stock dyno for comparison is that your car as well? I see the name is different?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 01:00 PM   #15
Russkey
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 BMW AW 550xi

Garage List
2012 550xi  [10.00]
Interesting topic. It does feel like extra 100hp to me and I highly recommend the tune.
      01-30-2013, 05:42 PM   #16
tony.m6
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6, CTS-V, F10 M5, TURBO-S

Scam !!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 08:37 PM   #17
Vinfast
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 550i M-Sport

For those who think it's a scam, keep your money or go elsewhere, but for those of us who feel every part of the 100hp gain can keep smoking our tires past those stock 550i's. I highly recommend this tune. It was worth every penny of my $2500 to see my car completely transformed from just being fast to hardly being able to control the car under full throttle. Awesome, DINAN!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 08:39 PM   #18
nyczlegacy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F10

lol well established fact that DINAN is a joke
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 10:29 PM   #19
primetime1
Private
Rep

After speaking with several different people I've concluded that I will never be able to figure out the real HP to the crank with a Dyno, too many variables to compare.

The car feels good to me, Dinan has been there to answer my questions so I will accept it.

Scott over at Dinan is very helpful and helped me understand the numbers much better. Lets see what the car will do with Stage 3 and exhaust I will know in a few days.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 10:30 PM   #20
primetime1
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinfast View Post
tock 550i's. I highly recommend this tune. It was worth every penny of my $2500 to see my car completely transformed from just being fast to hardly being able to control the car under full throttle. Awesome, DINAN!!!
Vinfast how did you get stage 2 for only $2500?? I paid a bit under $4k with the installation and taxes
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 04:44 AM   #21
alextremo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i

Quote:
After speaking with several different people I've concluded that I will never be able to figure out the real HP to the crank with a Dyno, too many variables to compare.

The car feels good to me, Dinan has been there to answer my questions so I will accept it.

Scott over at Dinan is very helpful and helped me understand the numbers much better. Lets see what the car will do with Stage 3 and exhaust I will know in a few days.
That's where I ended up as well after being disappointed initially. Haven't regretted keeping the tune at all over the last 2 years...

Quote:
Vinfast how did you get stage 2 for only $2500?? I paid a bit under $4k with the installation and taxes
Probably took advantage of one of the discounts - I think I paid $2800 out the door.
Appreciate 0