2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Things I hate about the F10

04-16-2011, 04:04 PM   #1
Kayman
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i X M-Sport

Thumbs down Things I hate about the F10

In no particular order....these are some of the things I wish BMW had thought through to make the car functions more of the ultimate driver's machine

1) Parking Assist function should not need to be manually engaged when entering a parking spot with an obstruction ahead. ( This is 6 year old standard equipment in a Lexus with dynamic parking settings.)

2) Seat heaters are 'nuclear meltdown' hot and I wish we could regulate the settings to our own temperature preference for low/medium/high.

3) Auto wipers doesn't stay engaged when engine is shut off and restarted. Not very auto IMHO. (Again standard technology for most brands)

4) Navigation screen won't stay off and reboots up lit every time the car takes an action. I would prefer the screen stay off unless showing an incoming call/parking assist/etc. I don't wish the distraction of the screen and preprogramming one of my eight presets still requires me to manually shut it off every time. Again this is years old technology.

5) On my third Blackberry (Torch/Bold/Curve) and still can't get the email to work!!!! Bought a third party calendar application and it sinked no problem. Here's hoping they put out an email application to shame your lousy email/blackberry service. I am going to see my dealer for a credit back on your none functional Office software and I know I am one of many disappointed. Had I know I probably would have bought another brand of car.

Sooo BMW if you're reading these valid driver gripes, how about you upgrade the car software to make the car better!
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2011, 04:50 PM   #2
O.S.
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: F10 535xi Msport

You should have bought another brand. As apparently what most of us around here appreciate about bmw has no or little value to you.
I don't mean this in a critical way. Each one has different values. You probably would have been happier in a lexus or infinity.
Gadgets and little annoyances are not as important to me as much for instance as the joy of actual driving the best car on the road overshadows them all.
If i could not buy f10 and was presented with a choice of all the competing cars out there and still keeping my e39 for instance i'd take my old e39 - and it had no gadgets AT ALL. But that's me.

You probably should have done better research and test drove the car for more than you had. My salesperson offered me a full day of driving an F10 before i made my decision. All i needed was 5 minutes. I could not care less about all the technical stuffing it had. The car was the most beautiful auto on the road the interior was superb and IT DROVE LIKE A CHAMP. Those things mattered to me so i bought it. If the pleasure of driving was not there i would have bought an audi. The next best thing after BMW.
Everyone is different.
Sorry to see that you are not happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayman View Post
In no particular order....these are some of the things I wish BMW had thought through to make the car functions more of the ultimate driver's machine

1) Parking Assist function should not need to be manually engaged when entering a parking spot with an obstruction ahead. ( This is 6 year old standard equipment in a Lexus with dynamic parking settings.)

2) Seat heaters are 'nuclear meltdown' hot and I wish we could regulate the settings to our own temperature preference for low/medium/high.

3) Auto wipers doesn't stay engaged when engine is shut off and restarted. Not very auto IMHO. (Again standard technology for most brands)

4) Navigation screen won't stay off and reboots up lit every time the car takes an action. I would prefer the screen stay off unless showing an incoming call/parking assist/etc. I don't wish the distraction of the screen and preprogramming one of my eight presets still requires me to manually shut it off every time. Again this is years old technology.

5) On my third Blackberry (Torch/Bold/Curve) and still can't get the email to work!!!! Bought a third party calendar application and it sinked no problem. Here's hoping they put out an email application to shame your lousy email/blackberry service. I am going to see my dealer for a credit back on your none functional Office software and I know I am one of many disappointed. Had I know I probably would have bought another brand of car.

Sooo BMW if you're reading these valid driver gripes, how about you upgrade the car software to make the car better!

Last edited by O.S.; 04-16-2011 at 06:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2011, 05:34 PM   #3
bfv
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bajaj Auto Rickshaw

I love a few things about F10:

1) Seats heat fast and I can control with mild, moderate and butt burning mode.

2) Beautiful interior.

3) Stellar performance.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2011, 05:40 PM   #4
r3amir
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 X2

Nothing to hate about the great car
2006 325i Arctic Metallic
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2011, 07:58 PM   #5
Kayman
Private
Canada
Rep

That's kinda my point guys. I am annoyed by the intrusion of technology and the requirement of my continually having to reset my driving preferences. The car drives like a dream. I love the great dash and the lines of the car and how it handles with all those horses under the hood. I just wish the car did what I wanted technology wise --- which is not intrude upon my pleasurable driving experience. Am I making sense??
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2011, 08:09 PM   #6
northernmonkey
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 530d MSpt

None of the points you list would make the car more of an ultimate drivers machine as you say.

Basically it just comes down to choice. Whoever wrote the various pieces of software that control the functions you don't like had a choice to make. He or she will have thought do I make it work this way or that way. They chose "this way" but you wanted "that way".

Just life I'm afraid. Cannot please all of the people all of the time. I am sure during development they conduct focus groups to help steer product design. Just unfortunate for you they chose a different way.

Personally I like the way these things work, makes sense to me (cannot comment on email stuff as an iPhone user as they don't have correct bluetooth profile to work with the office function anyway) I find seat settings fine, makes sense that auto wipers are not left on all time it's easy to turn them on when I want them on, definitely want the screen on all the time, paid nearly 2000 GBP extra for the media pro pack I want that screen on and for park assist makes sense to me personally the way it works, to be honest never use it.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2011, 10:40 PM   #7
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i xdrive M sport

I'd like the wipers to stay on, but in freezing area like where I live I love the "nuclear meltdown" seat heaters to melt my back as much as possible
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2011, 11:38 PM   #8
kel3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 f10 528i

only thing I don't like about my f10 is I can't take it into the house with me..
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2011, 11:39 PM   #9
AlBoston
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 740i xdrive & 2018 640GT

Quote:

I'll try to address your post unlike everyone else who just loves the BMW because its a BMW...

1) I never noticed but I usually back into spaces so in this case it does automatically turn on... My mercedes with parktronic was always on below a certain speed. I agree it is nice to have it always on.

2) I thought the seat heaters do have different levels of heat

3) Auto wipers used to stay on all the time on BMW but people that lived in dry climates that left em in auto would go into a carwash and damage the wipers because they would activate during the wash.

4)Kind of annoying, I like my screen on though so doesn't bother me

5)Whats the build date on your car? does it have combox? Are you using a cradle or bluetooth to sync? Dealer may be able to fix your problem.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2011, 11:57 PM   #10
DuneMan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i, Sophisto Gray

The only thing I hate about my F10 is the first year "bugs" that still don't have solid fixes. (jerking, pulling to the right...etc.)

Otherwise it's a great great car!
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 03:40 AM   #11
Touring
Major
Norway
Rep
Drives: i3,E21,M2,E23, Skoda Kodiaq

Quote:

5) On my third Blackberry (Torch/Bold/Curve) and still can't get the email to work!!!! I am going to see my dealer for a credit back on your none functional Office software and I know I am one of many disappointed. Had I know I probably would have bought another brand of car

I couldn`t agree more. As long as my Blackberry works who cares about the rest of the car!
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 07:02 AM   #12
andyk500
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 520d M sport Carbon Black

The only thing I hate about my F10 is....................................

.............still thinking.............................

......................oh yes, should have bought 356 wheels instead of 351's, soon to rectify that and create my perfect vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 07:20 AM   #13
Whostheboss
Captain
Rep
Drives: a 9incher

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyk500 View Post
The only thing I hate about my F10 is....................................

.............still thinking.............................

......................oh yes, should have bought 356 wheels instead of 351's, soon to rectify that and create my perfect vehicle.
      04-17-2011, 12:29 PM   #14
grimlock
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F10 N52B30@255PS

The stupidest thing i have noticed is the wiper function, there are only 3 speeds: slow, fast, and super fast.. what rain patterns are these programmed for?
I prefer the MB settings.
Now I have to manually control the wipers to prevent them disintegrating into the windscreen and leaving awful rubber marks
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 12:56 PM   #15
Krill
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: G30 520d Xdrive - M Sport

Had my F10 for a few days now and there is one thing which is extremely annoying, the projection of the dash on the windscreen when facing the sun!! For example the black outline from where the HUD would have been.
I find this totally unacceptable for a new BMW, gonna have a rant with my dealer about this tomorrow. Am I the only one pissed off by this!?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 01:08 PM   #16
grimlock
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F10 N52B30@255PS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krill View Post
Had my F10 for a few days now and there is one thing which is extremely annoying, the projection of the dash on the windscreen when facing the sun!! For example the black outline from where the HUD would have been.
I find this totally unacceptable for a new BMW, gonna have a rant with my dealer about this tomorrow. Am I the only one pissed off by this!?
That's usually one of the 'first' annoying things you discover.. dare I say you'll soon find many more, incredibly annoying (about the car) to focus on
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 01:42 PM   #17
paultantk
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d

Garage List
2011 BMW 520d  [0.00]
I just discovered one thing a few days ago. I live in a tropical country and our rains are more like storms all the time. The fastest wiper setting isn't fast enough, it feels much slower than my old E39 and W211.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 01:52 PM   #18
BzzzBom
Major
Rep
Drives: 05 R53 MINI / 09 335i Coupe

I love everything about this car except the electronic steering which is horrible. That was a deal breaker for me. Without the advantage of good steering feel, the Audi A6 (with equally horrible steering) becomes the better choice due to better build quailty, electronics, stereo, etc. For the first time in many years the Audi is actually lighter than the BMW.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 02:19 PM   #19
imposss
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M4 Comprtetion

the only thing I hate in my bmw that I don't have fastforward on my steering wheel! thats it
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 02:30 PM   #20
Kayman
Private
Canada
Rep

Good input guys. Never thought about some of these aspects from your points of view but hopefully we will get a software upgrade that will allow everyone to be pleased.

I found myself sitting in 'Joy' last night at 1 am rolling the ambient lighting up and down. Against oyster interior it really shows well.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 02:48 PM   #21
kman_bmw
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 550ix M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by kel3 View Post
only thing I don't like about my f10 is I can't take it into the house with me..
Hell yea!
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 02:50 PM   #22
kman_bmw
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 550ix M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krill View Post
Most people can ignore this by watching the road as they drive.....
Appreciate 0