2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Yet another 2011 BMW 535ix with a blown engine.

10-08-2022, 12:02 AM   #1
pcgears
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 535ix

Yet another 2011 BMW 535ix with a blown engine.

Been lurking on this site for years, but hoping my experiences with this F10 can help someone. I bought a 2011 BMW 535i xdrive 2 months ago. The car did not run and the seller said he thought the engine was blown, I negotiated the price accordingly. Once the tow truck arrived to my place with my new project, I had a better look at it and low and behold, a massive hole in the block.

I ordered a used engine with similar mileage and installed it. Once I was done and the oil was primed, I fired it up and sounded great. However, after some test drives, it was apparent there was a misfire present and somewhat long crank times. The car would not throw an engine light and there are no pending codes present. Idle is intermittently rough and the misfire is most pronounced once up to operating temps and under load.

So far, I've replaced plugs, coils, injectors, swapped HPFP with a good used n54 one I had, swapped vanos solenoids, Intake valve cleaning (heavy carbon deposits). After this work, the long crank times are gone but the misfires are still present.

I have been trying to get access to ista with no luck. But I do have a generic obd scanner that has some capabilities, I can monitor fuel pressures(HP), fuel trims, lambdas, MAF, MAP, ECT, IAT, etc.. After a couple of weeks, there is still no engine light or even pending codes.

Something tells me this may have been the cause of the first engine grenading in the first place which makes me wonder if it could be a LPFP or a DME issue. The plan tomorrow is to monitor the low pressure side with a gauge and take for a road test. I'm hoping to see some deviations in pressure to correlate with the misfire but I am not very optimistic.

Any thoughts here are appreciated, I've attached pics of the carnage but this doesn't do it justice. The rod went through the oil pan, took out the passenger motor mount bracket and punched a hole in the differential!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-08-2022, 06:29 PM   #2
Cvx5832
Private
Rep
Drives: ‘15 535i M-Sport

Curious on the “yet another” part of the subject. Is this common? Granted I cruise this site only occasionally, but this seems to be the first I’m hearing of this type of failure on the N55.

Appreciate 0
      10-08-2022, 06:56 PM   #3
pcgears
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 535ix

It seems the 2011 n55 PWG engine comes up more that the EWG when searching n55 engine failures. Maybe something common is causing it.

To update, if anyone is following, I'm seeing fluctuations in low pressure fuel pressures and RPM's when I hooked up a gauge. I'm thinking I have a weak LPFP or the screen is clogged from car sitting for 6 months.

I will do a compression test before spending too much money on parts.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2022, 07:22 PM   #4
OnlyGerman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, F13, F10, E60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cvx5832 View Post
Curious on the “yet another” part of the subject. Is this common? Granted I cruise this site only occasionally, but this seems to be the first I’m hearing of this type of failure on the N55.
Early n55 had mysterious failures
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2022, 10:07 PM   #5
Cvx5832
Private
Rep
Drives: ‘15 535i M-Sport

Thanks. Completely missed it for sure.
Appreciate 0