2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum windscreen replacement

09-02-2012, 04:53 AM   #1
JCs F10
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 3.0 528i Msport

windscreen replacement

Has anyone got advise or knowledge of things to be wary of when getting a windscreen replaced. I had a chip and that led to a crack in the first 25 minutes the car being on the highway for the first time. Bloody truck spat a rock up!
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2012, 08:36 AM   #2
rhinosaur
First Lieutenant
Portugal
Rep
Drives: F11 535d MY2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCs F10 View Post
Has anyone got advise or knowledge of things to be wary of when getting a windscreen replaced. I had a chip and that led to a crack in the first 25 minutes the car being on the highway for the first time. Bloody truck spat a rock up!
Do you have a HUD in the car? If so, that requires a special windscreen with a reflective layer in-between the two tempered glass surfaces. If the HUD windscreen is replaced by a standard one then the HUD reflections will not be good (duplicates partially overlapped).
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2012, 09:20 AM   #3
schultz
Rep
Drives: 535xi M Sport pkg Space Grey

I had problems with my rain sensor/headlamp sensor after the windshield was replaced. Even though the installers used an OEM BMW windshield, they couldn't find an OEM gel pack to mount the sensor on the windshield. They used a jobber part and it didn't work properly. When the tried to order the original gel pack from the dealer, it could only be acquired by buying the entire sensor at a cost of almost $400.00. My advice - go to a dealership, pay a bit more and have it done right (without having to pay $400.00 for an entire sensor). The PITA resulting from cheaper work is not worth it.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2012, 09:33 PM   #4
1HOT BMR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car-less and shopping +'12 35d

I don't know how it works in Australia but here it works this way: If you take the car to the dealer for replacement you pay big $$$, if you insist on getting the one with the BMW logo then you pay more. If you take it to a glass shop, tell them you are paying out of pocket and ask for a generic windshield you get the exact same windshield for a fraction of the cost. The windshield is made by the same factory to the same specs and it is the exact same windshield but it is missing the BMW logo.

I've been doing this for the last 10 years and the last one I had installed on my NSX cost me $330 including labor - the exact same windshield but was missing the Honda logo

http://www.pilkington.com/north-amer...e/default1.htm
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 08:23 AM   #5
mrcamp
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535ix Feb build

Here in the US, it's covered by comprehensive insurance. Not the same there?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 09:21 AM   #6
Andrey
Average Guy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i, Gone 2011 BMW 550i,

Good Question!! i wonder if my progressive policy will pay for the windshield replacement.
did anyone try to go through insurance? Or should i just use that service where they glue it up?? i don't have a crack yet, but a chip big enough to bother me.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 07:41 PM   #7
sycd
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 [MT]

Garage List
2023 BMW M2 [MT]  [0.00]
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrey
Good Question!! i wonder if my progressive policy will pay for the windshield replacement.
did anyone try to go through insurance? Or should i just use that service where they glue it up?? i don't have a crack yet, but a chip big enough to bother me.
How big? I just had a rock impact one of our cars and they said they could fix it without replacement if the crack was smaller than a dollar bill. Mine was bigger so we have to replace the whole glass, but you might want to try this if the impacted area is small enough.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 09:09 PM   #8
Andrey
Average Guy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i, Gone 2011 BMW 550i,

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrey
How big? I just had a rock impact one of our cars and they said they could fix it without replacement if the crack was smaller than a dollar bill. Mine was bigger so we have to replace the whole glass, but you might want to try this if the impacted area is small enough.
My stone chip is less then a penny, and it's located where mirror covers it up and driver doesn't see it, it is only visible to passenger . I think I am gonna go ahead and have it glued before it starts cracking
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 11:09 PM   #9
sycd
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 [MT]

Garage List
2023 BMW M2 [MT]  [0.00]
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrey View Post
My stone chip is less then a penny, and it's located where mirror covers it up and driver doesn't see it, it is only visible to passenger . I think I am gonna go ahead and have it glued before it starts cracking
Yep I'd do that.

One tricky part I learned the hard way is that if the the crack/impact is in the black part on the edge of the glass (sorry can't think of a better word for it), they won't be able to do a repair. Had that on a previous 335i, had to buy brand new windshield. I went with the BMW OEM for around USD 500 installed.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 04:31 AM   #10
JCs F10
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep

1700 AUD for an OEM screen with sensors and car is fitted with HUD. Insurance covered it thank god. Big crack right on the edge so i can't repair it. 8 day wait for it to come from Sydney.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 01:53 PM   #11
NYF32DRIVER
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 428i X Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1HOT BMR View Post
I don't know how it works in Australia but here it works this way: If you take the car to the dealer for replacement you pay big $$$, if you insist on getting the one with the BMW logo then you pay more. If you take it to a glass shop, tell them you are paying out of pocket and ask for a generic windshield you get the exact same windshield for a fraction of the cost. The windshield is made by the same factory to the same specs and it is the exact same windshield but it is missing the BMW logo.

I've been doing this for the last 10 years and the last one I had installed on my NSX cost me $330 including labor - the exact same windshield but was missing the Honda logo

http://www.pilkington.com/north-amer...e/default1.htm
Sorry, but "One-Size-Fits-A-Few-Different-Models-and-Brands" CHINESE SHIT glass is NOT the same as OEM. It's even more critical in the case of a rollover since windshield glass strength and proper fastening is part of what keeps the roof rigid. When the glass on my 2008 335 coupe was cracked by a rock, GEICO tried to convince me to use Safelite... I said NO and they then told me that they could "Authorize" OEM glass "If I really wanted it". I did.
      09-12-2012, 06:58 AM   #12
JCs F10
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep

Got the OEM glass fitted. Flawless job by O'Brien glass here in Aus.
Appreciate 0