2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums AUSTRALIA Changing from Runflats to Non Runflats

09-22-2012, 12:32 AM   #1
bmwombat
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2013

Garage List
Changing from Runflats to Non Runflats

Hi all,

I'm looking at changing my 19" RFTs & MSport mags to non RFTs. Would appreciate any thoughts on:

1. Any pitfalls / drawbacks in doing this?
2. Any changes to the car's Settings I need to make (e.g., the RFT monitor etc)?
3. Any recommendations for replacement tyres I should look at (I'm getting new mags & just need tyres for handling in dry & wet - no snow/ice etc where I am in Australia)?

I've got the BMW MSport rims 351M 19x8.5" frt & 19x9" rear & will replace them with new mags with rims 19x8.5" frt & 19x9.5" rear. Will also be buying the BMW spare tyre kit. I'm not a big fan of RFTs as they're hard to find here in Australia & more so outside the major cities not to mention their premium cost & being unrepairable if you have a 'flat'.
      12-24-2012, 02:48 PM   #2
saurabh_turingMS
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1M AW (F10 520D MSport - gone)

I've just put a set of 20" forged wheels with nonRFT, no issues. It's my 4th Bimmer with RFT that I've changed to nonRFT.
It's the first time I've had forged rims on the car. They are way lighter than factory (& stronger), which makes the car feel more nimble, improve steering feel, and feels quicker.
As for tyres, it's personal preference really. I tend to stick Michelin, Pirelli , Bridgestone, or Conti - as they tend to maintain the BMW steering feel. IMO Conti Extreme DW are hands down the best value (tireRack.com), I have them on rear axle and they offer fantastic grip. Pirelli Pzero (black or silver) have a really nice ride, I had PZB on my E60 and they made the ride more plush with good grip.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2012, 04:05 PM   #3
Lee
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: '17 X5 50i/'01 Z3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwombat View Post
Hi all,

I'm looking at changing my 19" RFTs & MSport mags to non RFTs. Would appreciate any thoughts on:

1. Any pitfalls / drawbacks in doing this?
2. Any changes to the car's Settings I need to make (e.g., the RFT monitor etc)?
3. Any recommendations for replacement tyres I should look at (I'm getting new mags & just need tyres for handling in dry & wet - no snow/ice etc where I am in Australia)?

I've got the BMW MSport rims 351M 19x8.5" frt & 19x9" rear & will replace them with new mags with rims 19x8.5" frt & 19x9.5" rear. Will also be buying the BMW spare tyre kit. I'm not a big fan of RFTs as they're hard to find here in Australia & more so outside the major cities not to mention their premium cost & being unrepairable if you have a 'flat'.
I put winter non-RFTs on last month and haven't had any issues. No need to change settings, but you do get the warning stating that the TPM isn't working correctly.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 12:34 AM   #4
AMJAM
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2013 Alpine 328I MSport

Your main issue will be that you have nothing with the car if you get a flat tyre.

So you will need to order a spare tyre kit. The only issue with this is that there is no spare tyre well so it will float around your boot
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 12:58 AM   #5
Lee
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMJAM View Post
Your main issue will be that you have nothing with the car if you get a flat tyre.

So you will need to order a spare tyre kit. The only issue with this is that there is no spare tyre well so it will float around your boot
Concur. Ordered the small spare and jack from the dealership, and use bungey cords to hold them down in the boot/trunk.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 07:22 AM   #6
gedward
Rep
Drives: BMW F10

Sorry to barge in on the thread but i just joined the forum and I do not yet have the priviledge to create a new thread.
Does anyone know why BMW does not include the 245/50 R17 tyre size as an option for the F10?
I have a 528 with 18" rims and 245/45 tyres. I wish to change down to 17" due to suffering a lot of tyre damage caused by bad road conditions were i live.
The 17" rims would allow a higher profile tyre and hence better cushioning effect.
BMW lists the 225/55 R17 as the only option.
I do not want to loose the traction quality of the 245s but nobody at the local BMW dealership can inform me why the 245/50 R17 is not listed.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 08:12 PM   #7
atlas
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F10 535i, M2 LCI, G05 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
Concur. Ordered the small spare and jack from the dealership, and use bungey cords to hold them down in the boot/trunk.
Could I ask how much the spare wheel set cost?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 08:23 PM   #8
bmwombat
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Garage List
My dealer didn't offer any spare wheel set as an option - never found out why. There were quite a few hassles & lots of 'dropping the ball" by the dealership when I ordered / picked up my car so their Marketing folks said they wanted to do "something" for me so we agreed that they would arrange to supply a spare & the necessary kit & we'd share the cost (at that time I could have imported the genuine full spare wheel kit (incl wheel cover, jack etc) from the USA for around $A740 delivered to my door with about a 2-3 week delivery lead time. The saga with the dealer about this spare kit went on for months (at 1 stage they had the rim but no tyre for it!!!!!); I think they were having issues sourcing the full kit because they were forced to go thru BMW Corporate Australia & I know the full kit eventually came in from Germany. Anyway after about 3 months or so they proudly announced they had the kit so I asked how much the cost was - they said it came to $A1500 all up!!!!! Before I could even say "no way!" they then said they were originally going to ask me to pay 50% ("no way" again), but because of all the hassles they put me thru they had internally agreed to provide the full kit FOC - which was a relief. I then told them how much I could have got one for & they were flabbergasted. It certainly seemed at the time (this time last year) that BMW were making it extremely difficult here in OZ to get a spare kit for F10s. I know this doesn't answer your question, but I think it's interesting background. :-)
      02-27-2014, 08:27 PM   #9
bmwombat
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh_turingMS View Post
I've just put a set of 20" forged wheels with nonRFT, no issues. It's my 4th Bimmer with RFT that I've changed to nonRFT.
It's the first time I've had forged rims on the car. They are way lighter than factory (& stronger), which makes the car feel more nimble, improve steering feel, and feels quicker.
As for tyres, it's personal preference really. I tend to stick Michelin, Pirelli , Bridgestone, or Conti - as they tend to maintain the BMW steering feel. IMO Conti Extreme DW are hands down the best value (tireRack.com), I have them on rear axle and they offer fantastic grip. Pirelli Pzero (black or silver) have a really nice ride, I had PZB on my E60 and they made the ride more plush with good grip.
Hey mate - what wheels did you get (any pix)? also who did you get them from & also where do you usually go for your tyres? I usually find Tempe Tyres are the best price-wise (also they seem to be the only guys in Sydney who import the Michelin PSSs that fit my car - or would fit if I were running them which is my intention once the RFTs wear out).
      03-12-2014, 03:59 PM   #10
Lee
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas View Post
Could I ask how much the spare wheel set cost?
Sorry for taking so long to reply, however, I really don't recall but remember it being a bit more than I expected. Think it was a bit over 200 Euros for the spare and jack. Recommend searching the forum.

If you need the exact cost, send me a note and I'll dig for it.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2014, 08:03 PM   #11
saurabh_turingMS
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1M AW (F10 520D MSport - gone)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwombat
Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh_turingMS View Post
Hey mate - what wheels did you get (any pix)? also who did you get them from & also where do you usually go for your tyres? I usually find Tempe Tyres are the best price-wise (also they seem to be the only guys in Sydney who import the Michelin PSSs that fit my car - or would fit if I were running them which is my intention once the RFTs wear out).
I import BC Forged wheels, there are pics on our main site turingms.com. Brushed a black with polished rim, it suited the sporty-classy look for F10 Msport.
I sold the F10 but ran those wheels with Conti Sport 5P for a couple weeks on my 1M. I'm not using the wheels so would be willing to sell at a reasonable price.
I really liked the Conti 5P, good grip balanced with better ride comfort and lower noise compared to the PS2 on the 1M. I was pleasantly surprised by the, as I normally pref Michelin over, Pirelli or Conti (in that order).
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2014, 08:45 PM   #12
Bespoke 2014
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 535i

I don't care about having run flats or not. I have the road hazard option on my BMW at purchase and also with Triple A. I say go for no run flats unkess you live in the area that you tires can get damaged easily
Appreciate 0