2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications drivetrain fuel supply issue help

06-11-2016, 02:46 AM   #1
gambit1981
Rep
Drives: 520 D

drivetrain fuel supply issue help

Hi to all,

520d 2011 plate

Mileage 51k

engine cut off suddenly on dual carriageway as accelerated after a roundabout. Brought car to stop never started again. Was carrying wife and toddler on way to seaside could have been real worse if cars behind on higher speed motorway.

Error message said fuel supply/ max peformance not avail drive at mod speed - couldnt for obvious reason.

had to call recovery who could not fix it and towed to dealer

dealer now repaired - swapped 'ekta control unit' as faulty and battery. They said the fuel supply control unit had an issue.

Above happened on 8 May this year.

Received back allegedly repaired and noticed car has now lost that quick injection of turbo when i used to slighlty tap the accelerator. It'd stopped doing it and takes that second more to shoot off if you know what i mean? it's like that pull you feel from the front of the car well that has gone and it just feels weaker when pressing the gas. Is this normal? Any ideas? Will it resolve in time - only repaired yesterday. Please help.

Above noticed about 3 days after getting car back.

This happened yesterday:

So had the same thing as before happenagain after repair from dealer!!! Engine cut off and said 'drive train' drive at moderate speed. could not though as complete cut off and not restarting but turning over when try to restart. Once again carrying wife and 2 year old daughter. We are so lucky it only happened as we go to our destination and not on the motorway! We got to the Ikea car park.

So recovery guy came to car park and car had been left for about an hour and when he tried the car restarted again. Think that's good? Think again so decided would drive to dealership*and he followed behind in case happened again. And guess what it happened again after only driving for 10 minutes this time we are on the first lane of motorway doing about 60mph! Car cuts off again completely and says drivetrain as above but also says fuel supply. Pulled over luckily into hard shoulder he followed and towed to dealership. I have left it there. What if this happened in 3rd lane I cannot imagine at higher speed?*Clearly they have not fixed it right? Spoke to them and they said it could be a new fault and not something that needed repairing when first brought although symptoms exactly the same and same fault reported on screen. I mean they changed the battery and fuel supply control unit so they should have figured it out right? anyone had this problem who can help? I mean this is really bad because I had done a long distance journey on the motorway the week before again with wife and daughter and made it there and back but it could have happened during then!

Please can someone help? Any ideas and advice very much appreciated.

Kind regards
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2016, 02:48 AM   #2
gambit1981
Rep

By way of update dealer has accepted to repair for free and is now replacing fuel pump, as suspected, the control unit and apparently some wiring to the pump which is also faulty. Does anyone think the dealer should be offering me some compensation? For one I lost another planned day out and ruined weekend, had to borrow someones car for work for 2 days until they gave me a courtesy (which is only a 1 series) loads of stress and work for my wife and toddler and to top it I have all but used my recovery call outs from my breakdown company who say next time will be charged.

Thanks guys
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2016, 08:48 PM   #3
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
That's a tough case to make. If they want to keep you as a customer they should do something for you out of good faith. Maybe they would be willing to trade the car? Plus why didn't they give you a loaner?
535i MIssion Performance, PS2, Helix HPFP Kit, Wagner FMIC, Spec 3 clutch, Steel SMF, Wolf Racing CP, UUC SSK, GFB dv, SprintBooster, Custom Dynomax Exhaust, M5 Sways, Eibach OE Springs, Koni Sports Adjustable, Custom Short Ram CAI

IG: @bmwdoubles
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2016, 02:05 PM   #4
gambit1981
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw doubles View Post
That's a tough case to make. If they want to keep you as a customer they should do something for you out of good faith. Maybe they would be willing to trade the car? Plus why didn't they give you a loaner?
They did give me a courtesy vehicle the second time.

Now the car has lost performance I feel. It has lost its zip and it doesn't shift as quickly before the first breakdown. , ,mooooookkkkk99999999999999999999654wwk
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2016, 02:52 PM   #5
gambit1981
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gambit1981 View Post
They did give me a courtesy vehicle the second time.

Now the car has lost performance I feel. It has lost its zip and it doesn't shift as quickly before the first breakdown. , ,mooooookkkkk99999999999999999999654wwk
Sorry lol my daughter as you can see tried to finish off my post while I had to take a call!

Yes so i was saying that I lost the performance since the first breakdown. The fuel pump, wiring and supply control until all been replaced. It is like when you switch from sport mode to eco mode. Now it cycles through gears quickly and just sort of drives but without the oomph - before I feel like it used to hang in first and second gear for far longer.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2016, 05:36 AM   #6
gambit1981
Rep

Please can someone help?

So i spoke to someone who said it is common on bmws to lose the 'boost' and it is a mechanical issue which would not show as an electrical fault.

Any other help really appreciated! Had the repairs done about 2 months ago now. Do you all recommend i go back to them? I am not willing to pay for them to investigate however!

kind regards
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2016, 08:06 AM   #7
gambit1981
Rep

Anyone else have this problem or a solution?

I think BMW may have a missed a mechanical issue that does not show with electrical faults OR would all mechanical faults show as electrical/on the computer?

Many thanks to all
Appreciate 0