2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications What is expected stock boost in 550ix?

09-02-2016, 09:58 AM   #1
TheEngineer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 550i xDrive

What is expected stock boost in 550ix?

I just installed a P3 into my car and wanted to monitor the boost/vacuum. The car at rest will be aroud -22 or so but under full exceleration, I am eading the boost to be at 2.8. It sits at 2.8. Is there something wrong here?

I had expected this to be much higher.
      09-02-2016, 03:17 PM   #2
MavRick
Captain
Rep
Drives: My Wife's M

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEngineer View Post
I just installed a P3 into my car and wanted to monitor the boost/vacuum. The car at rest will be aroud -22 or so but under full exceleration, I am eading the boost to be at 2.8. It sits at 2.8. Is there something wrong here?

I had expected this to be much higher.
welp...guess i dont have to wonder if the P3 would read the same of the OBD scanner/Torque app. im going to make some calls to see WHY it reads so low. its GOT to be the the ecu (not a malfunction but rather the signal that it sends these scanners).
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2016, 05:33 PM   #3
MavRick
Captain
Rep

so i called the folks at Mission Performance. spoke to a gentleman...cant remember his name. he says there's no app on OS/android that allows you to read boost accurately on the N63. if that goes for the P3, as well, who knows?

i also called P3 and was told that there is an analog boost gauge that folks with tunes have to use because the tunes are fooling the computer into thinking that there is less boost than there really is. is your car tuned?

next plan...because this is bothering the shit outta me...is to find a salesman that will let me plug into a 550i and log boost while on a test drive. i can use the excuse that i've heard that they have a history of losing boost and want to make sure the turbos arent about to fail. but that will be next week.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2016, 08:46 PM   #4
SchillerM
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11' 550i, '00 M5, '11 E90 335i

Mavrick, where are you located? I am sure there is an enthusiast you can get together with instead of dealer.
I can't find my Bluetooth adapter to test my car. And Torque doesn't allow USB OBDII adapters :/
Matt
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2016, 10:57 PM   #5
TheEngineer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 550i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavRick View Post
so i called the folks at Mission Performance. spoke to a gentleman...cant remember his name. he says there's no app on OS/android that allows you to read boost accurately on the N63. if that goes for the P3, as well, who knows?

i also called P3 and was told that there is an analog boost gauge that folks with tunes have to use because the tunes are fooling the computer into thinking that there is less boost than there really is. is your car tuned?

next plan...because this is bothering the shit outta me...is to find a salesman that will let me plug into a 550i and log boost while on a test drive. i can use the excuse that i've heard that they have a history of losing boost and want to make sure the turbos arent about to fail. but that will be next week.
MavRick,
Many thanks for this. Mine is also tuned so that information about the analogue guage is interesting to me. Much appreciate the followup!
      09-02-2016, 11:49 PM   #6
MavRick
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEngineer View Post
MavRick,
Many thanks for this. Mine is also tuned so that information about the analogue guage is interesting to me. Much appreciate the followup!
mannnn...i bet ANYTHING its the tune thats throwing the numbers off. i mean...thats the only variable i've had when taking it from 1 car to the next.

no need for thanx. if anything, i should thank YOU for letting me know that someone hasnt be slipping crazy pills in my drinks. hahahaha
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2016, 11:51 PM   #7
MavRick
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchillerM View Post
Mavrick, where are you located? I am sure there is an enthusiast you can get together with instead of dealer.
I can't find my Bluetooth adapter to test my car. And Torque doesn't allow USB OBDII adapters :/
Matt
youre right!!! Brother krautmeister mentioned that he drives the interstate near my house everyday on the way to work. perhaps he'd be willing to participate in this science project...

Thanx for the advice!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2016, 07:48 AM   #8
krautmeister
krrrraaauuuuut
United_States
Rep
Drives: G12 750i X Drive M-Sport

Garage List
G12 750i  [0.00]
Let me know man, I'm more than willing to help! My schedule is pretty flexible so PM me your number and I'll swing by. I don't have a tune on mine though.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2016, 10:15 AM   #9
MavRick
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by krautmeister View Post
Let me know man, I'm more than willing to help! My schedule is pretty flexible so PM me your number and I'll swing by. I don't have a tune on mine though.
not having a tune is exactly what i need. i'll bet that yours reads 'normal' digits...
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2016, 10:47 AM   #10
MattPro
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F10 550iX, '91 E30

Stock boost levels on N63 should be around 10psi.

A piggyback will trick the DME into seeing lower numbers, but at WOT definitely not 3psi. You would actually be throwing a code for boost buildup blocked because the DME will want to see 10psi at WOT in the appropriate RPMs. Basically the piggyback will subtract a few PSI from what it sends to the DME, but then the DME will try to raise it to keep it at 10.

I don't know about apps being able to read the boost correctly, but you are definitely not only seeing 3psi because of any tune/piggyback.

2013 F10 550iX Carbon Black/MSport
BMW Fault Code DB
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2016, 11:42 AM   #11
mikekilpatrick
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW F10 550 Xdrive Msport

It seems the Blue Tooth app for the BMS stage 2 Beta reads ECU boost and then actual boost pretty accurately. Granted, you need their tune with the optional blue tooth accessory to see it though. Good app for 28 dollars.
Appreciate 0