2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications A little help here... Dinan/boost/550 related

08-30-2016, 06:27 PM   #1
MavRick
Captain
Rep
Drives: My Wife's M

A little help here... Dinan/boost/550 related

who knew i'd be such a needy poster when i came here. smh...

backstory...picked up a 2012 550i with a Dinan Stage 2 about a month ago. loved the car but didnt feel it was a strong as it should be. it wouldnt even break traction when starting from a standstill. felt strong from 40-50 mph on up...but still felt like something was missing.

plugged an OBD scanner in and saw 3-4 psi of boost. plugged into wife's M4 and saw 18-19 psi of boost. plugged it into a friend's F10 M5 and saw 16-18 psi of boost. plugged it back into mine and saw 3-4 psi of boost. wtf.

so i put it in the shop today to find my missing boost. pissed that i had to put the car in the shop so soon after purchased but excited to have a 'new car' when it was fixed. drop it off at the shop and, while im waiting for uber, see the tech take it for a test drive. happy that they are 'on it' so quickly.

i get a call about a couple hours later and the tech hits me with the news....there is no problem. not only is there no loss of boost but their meter shows that i've got OVER 19 PSI OF BOOST!!!

am i taking crazy pills? do others with RWD 550i's have trouble breaking traction from a stop? could my heavy ass 356 wheels be the culprit (greater rotational mass, more inertia, all the stuff that i slept thru in physics)? again...it really feel strong from a roll. but i rode in that M5 and it was scrambling for traction and lighting up the dash in the first 2 gears.

yes...i know my car isnt on that level. but my IS-F would roast the tires with almost 100 lb/ft less torque...if Dinan is to be believed.

BTW...should i believe the 19.xx psi of boost? i scoured the innanetz for conversions and they all came up with the same numbers as below. do i need to scrap the Dinan flash and get the Burger piggyback. i guess only a dyno will tell me that, huh?

HELP!!!

Appreciate 0
      08-30-2016, 09:58 PM   #2
Gpfarrell
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 6MT Imperial Blue 550i M-sport

Well, my 550i 6-speed hooks pretty good. If you drive it like its a 5.0 Mustang it'll light 'em up a bit and spin a few feet on the 1-2 shift, but given the torque it really doesn't spin that much.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2016, 10:39 PM   #3
MattPro
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F10 550iX, '91 E30

x-drive?

But in seriousness, did you have traction control on? The M5 makes torque much quicker due to a few changes (like twin-scroll turbos) so it is going to hit much harder sooner making it easier to lose traction.

And if you are really making 19psi I would not ditch that in favor of the JB4. That's about the same boost I see on the latest JB4 with E30 fuel. Probably makes more power as well.

2013 F10 550iX Carbon Black/MSport
BMW Fault Code DB
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2016, 01:46 AM   #4
NV GUNS
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19' M2C

Garage List
2023 M550  [6.75]
2019 M2 Competition  [0.00]
2002 330ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MavRick View Post

backstory...picked up a 2012 550i with a Dinan Stage 2 about a month ago. loved the car but didnt feel it was a strong as it should be. it wouldnt even break traction when starting from a standstill. felt strong from 40-50 mph on up...but still felt like something was missing.

plugged an OBD scanner in and saw 3-4 psi of boost. plugged into wife's M4 and saw 18-19 psi of boost. plugged it into a friend's F10 M5 and saw 16-18 psi of boost. plugged it back into mine and saw 3-4 psi of boost. wtf.

so i put it in the shop today to find my missing boost. pissed that i had to put the car in the shop so soon after purchased but excited to have a 'new car' when it was fixed. drop it off at the shop and, while im waiting for uber, see the tech take it for a test drive. happy that they are 'on it' so quickly.

i get a call about a couple hours later and the tech hits me with the news....there is no problem. not only is there no loss of boost but their meter shows that i've got OVER 19 PSI OF BOOST!!!

am i taking crazy pills? do others with RWD 550i's have trouble breaking traction from a stop? could my heavy ass 356 wheels be the culprit (greater rotational mass, more inertia, all the stuff that i slept thru in physics)? again...it really feel strong from a roll. but i rode in that M5 and it was scrambling for traction and lighting up the dash in the first 2 gears.

yes...i know my car isnt on that level. but my IS-F would roast the tires with almost 100 lb/ft less torque...if Dinan is to be believed.

BTW...should i believe the 19.xx psi of boost? i scoured the innanetz for conversions and they all came up with the same numbers as below. do i need to scrap the Dinan flash and get the Burger piggyback. i guess only a dyno will tell me that, huh?

HELP!!!

Have you tried this: from a stand still hold the brake down and floor it and it will max out around 3500 rpm then left off the brake in sport+ mode? It will jack your neck up, I have xdrive and it takes off like a rocket. LCI 550's NBT will display this as launch mode.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2016, 11:11 AM   #5
SchillerM
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11' 550i, '00 M5, '11 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NV GUNS View Post
Have you tried this: from a stand still hold the brake down and floor it and it will max out around 3500 rpm then left off the brake in sport+ mode? It will jack your neck up, I have xdrive and it takes off like a rocket. LCI 550's NBT will display this as launch mode.
I will have to try this on my way home, know the perfect spot too

OP, I am at Stage 5, but if I get on it the thing is a beast, traction light is flashing till about 60mph. Haven't tried without traction control though.
One thing to consider, what kind of tires are on the car? If a good high performance tire they will hook up a lot better vs an all weather type.

Once I find my BT OBDII adapter I will see if it works for the F10 and try to get a boost reading using Torque. Otherwise I am working on setting up a BMW programming computer and see what it shows..

Matt
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2016, 11:57 AM   #6
NV GUNS
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19' M2C

Garage List
2023 M550  [6.75]
2019 M2 Competition  [0.00]
2002 330ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchillerM View Post
I will have to try this on my way home, know the perfect spot too

OP, I am at Stage 5, but if I get on it the thing is a beast, traction light is flashing till about 60mph. Haven't tried without traction control though.
One thing to consider, what kind of tires are on the car? If a good high performance tire they will hook up a lot better vs an all weather type.

Once I find my BT OBDII adapter I will see if it works for the F10 and try to get a boost reading using Torque. Otherwise I am working on setting up a BMW programming computer and see what it shows..

Matt
There are apps for the phone like Torque pro that will give you real time engine data and all you need to get is the BT adapter which you are already aware of. Tires types are important but roast them to much. Have you also tried to hold the DSC button down for about 10 seconds and turn all traction control off? DSC and DTC off is pretty fun.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2016, 08:26 AM   #7
MavRick
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NV GUNS View Post
so yeah....

brakes wouldnt hold it past 2500 before the wheels started to spin. i also think i need some stickier rubber. but...it looks like the car is making decent power. i couldnt have made all this up in my mind, could i?

thanx everyone for all your help!!!
Appreciate 1
NV GUNS57.50
      09-02-2016, 09:16 AM   #8
krautmeister
krrrraaauuuuut
United_States
Rep
Drives: G12 750i X Drive M-Sport

Garage List
G12 750i  [0.00]
hahaha! I know where that is!! I pass it every day on 85!

Love the 11s! The Germans actually do better muscle cars than Americans in my opinion!
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2016, 10:15 AM   #9
TheEngineer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 550i xDrive

MAvrick, Did youever find out why your sensor was only reading 3-4 PSI? was it a faulty sensor?
      09-02-2016, 10:20 AM   #10
krautmeister
krrrraaauuuuut
United_States
Rep
Drives: G12 750i X Drive M-Sport

Garage List
G12 750i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpfarrell View Post
Well, my 550i 6-speed hooks pretty good. If you drive it like its a 5.0 Mustang it'll light 'em up a bit and spin a few feet on the 1-2 shift, but given the torque it really doesn't spin that much.
I wonder on the 8spd Auto, if the computer cuts torque on shifts to lessen stress on the TC?

I do love a good chirp on gear shifts... reminds me of my adolescent years!
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2016, 10:42 AM   #11
MavRick
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEngineer View Post
MAvrick, Did youever find out why your sensor was only reading 3-4 PSI? was it a faulty sensor?
i havent plugged it back in since i got the car back. will do it at lunch to see. i dont think it was faulty because it ready 'accurately' on the other 2 cars. which is why i was convinced i was missing boost...
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2016, 12:05 PM   #12
TheEngineer
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
i havent plugged it back in since i got the car back. will do it at lunch to see. i dont think it was faulty because it ready 'accurately' on the other 2 cars. which is why i was convinced i was missing boost...
Many thanks, would be good to know as I might have same issue?
      09-02-2016, 12:24 PM   #13
MavRick
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEngineer View Post
Many thanks, would be good to know as I might have same issue?
still reading 3.2 psi of boost. just...weird. next week, im gonna go test drive a 550i and see if the salesman will let me plug the scanner in. it may just have something to do with that particular engine/dme...
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2016, 02:58 PM   #14
TheEngineer
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks for letting me know. Also btw, have you looked at your ECU? Is the chip from Siemens or Bosch? If you don't know, don't go through the bother of finding out.
      09-02-2016, 10:58 PM   #15
TheEngineer
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
still reading 3.2 psi of boost. just...weird. next week, im gonna go test drive a 550i and see if the salesman will let me plug the scanner in. it may just have something to do with that particular engine/dme...
Thanks again for the follow up MavRick!
      10-14-2016, 10:01 PM   #16
FaintReality
NoUSE4aName
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 550i

I am also getting a reading of 4.1 psi using the Torque lite app, yet my car is super fast and throws my head back with authority.

Think it's the Torque app just acting up with our cars?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2016, 11:00 PM   #17
FaintReality
NoUSE4aName
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 550i

So I purchased the Torque pro app and changed the boost reading from MAP to MAF and am now getting over 23 psi with the Dinan stage 5.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2016, 09:45 AM   #18
MavRick
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaintReality View Post
So I purchased the Torque pro app and changed the boost reading from MAP to MAF and am now getting over 23 psi with the Dinan stage 5.
interesting. i met up with krautmeister and plugged the ELM into his car. it read the exact same about of boost as my car does (right around 4 PSI). how do you change the boost reading? and why is it accurate for the M5 and M3 but not accurate for ours?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 07:09 PM   #19
535_BiTurbo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 550I - BMS Stg 1 & CAI

Quote:

HELP!!!

What scanner did you use?
Appreciate 0