2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series Gran Turismo GT (F07) Forums General 5-Series GT (Gran Turismo) (F07) Forum GT 550i ride comfort compared to 550i Sedan

02-27-2011, 10:39 AM   #1
kwilkins
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S e

GT 550i ride comfort compared to 550i Sedan

I'm trying to decide between the GT 550i xdrive and the 550i sedan xdrive. I do understand they are very different cars, serving different purposes, and there are a number of trade offs. I'm interested to here from anyone who has driven both what their opinions are, especially related to ride quality, quietness, and comfort.

I test drove both cars and was surprised to discover the sedan seemed quieter and more comfortable than the GT. During highway driving the GT appeared to be louder than the sedan, especially when passing big trucks. I also felt the seating position in the sedan was more comfortable than the GT, although the forward and side visibility in the GT was much better. Both cars had multi-contour seats.These things surprised me because I assumed the GT being build on the 7 series platform would beat the sedan on ride quality and luxury, and obviously loose on sportiness and handling. I drove the cars on different days (each for about an hour) so my comparisons could be influenced by how I was feeling each day, also maybe the seat on the sedan was adjusted more to my comfort than the GT.

For those who have driven (or owned) both would you please share your experiences with ride quality and comfort, I'd love to hear any other observations you have about the 2 cars.

Thanks,

Ken
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2011, 05:30 PM   #2
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

First big question is did both cars have the same size tires and wheels? That can make a huge difference. The GT uses air adjustable height shocks/springs for the rear, not sure about the sedan. Some reviews have noted that these are somewhat more harsh, as will the larger wheels/tires.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2011, 07:21 PM   #3
kwilkins
Private
Rep

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadnashuanh View Post
First big question is did both cars have the same size tires and wheels? That can make a huge difference. The GT uses air adjustable height shocks/springs for the rear, not sure about the sedan. Some reviews have noted that these are somewhat more harsh, as will the larger wheels/tires.
The GT had 20's and the sedan had 19's. I'm sure this would create some difference. However; I don't think the wheel size would account for the cabin noise from passing trucks and general cruising sounds.

Have you driven both, and if so, what were your impressions?

Ken
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 09:55 AM   #4
jdubbs
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i GT

I am surprised by your experience with the GT being loud... I've only had mine a week but the most striking thing about it has been how insulated I am from the outside world. Granted, I'm coming from a 6 convertible, so most anything will seem quiet by comparison. I test drove a 535i and 550i sedan as well as the GT of course, and if there was any difference in sound insulation I did not notice it at the time. But the GT does have a larger sunroof and more glass in general, so that could account for it I suppose.

As far as comfort is concerned, I definitely found the GT to be more appealing and luxurious than the sedan. You can of course configure the two with almost identical options, but there is something about the interior design of the GT that feels more refined than the sedan... it seems closer to the 7 interior. For rear seat passengers, the clear winner is the GT. Getting in and out of the GT is also easier, as the seat height is a few inches taller than the sedan.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 10:38 AM   #5
car_fan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 F97 X3M

Garage List
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdubbs View Post
I am surprised by your experience with the GT being loud... I've only had mine a week but the most striking thing about it has been how insulated I am from the outside world. Granted, I'm coming from a 6 convertible, so most anything will seem quiet by comparison. I test drove a 535i and 550i sedan as well as the GT of course, and if there was any difference in sound insulation I did not notice it at the time. But the GT does have a larger sunroof and more glass in general, so that could account for it I suppose.

As far as comfort is concerned, I definitely found the GT to be more appealing and luxurious than the sedan. You can of course configure the two with almost identical options, but there is something about the interior design of the GT that feels more refined than the sedan... it seems closer to the 7 interior. For rear seat passengers, the clear winner is the GT. Getting in and out of the GT is also easier, as the seat height is a few inches taller than the sedan.
+1
2018 X3 M40i BSM/Oyster/ZPP/ZPX/HK/S6CPA/718M(retired)
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 05:06 PM   #6
johnnyutah
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i GT xdrive

Test drove the sedan three times prior to getting in a GT. Road performance seemed similar, but as far as cabin feel, the GT blew me away the instant I sat down. Felt like a luxury car. The sedan felt like...well, a sedan.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 05:12 PM   #7
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep

The lower the tire's profile, generally, the noisier it is. The tread design can make a huge difference in sound quality as well. To get a good comparison, you really need to have the same size and brand tires on both. The tires and wheels can drastically change the characteristics of a vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 11:30 AM   #8
nigelh
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 530d GT SE

My diesel is so quiet that several times I've started to get out of the car with the engine still running!
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 11:44 AM   #9
kwilkins
Private
Rep

Thanks to all for your comments. Clearly I need to go give the GT a second test drive. I am also now remembering the sunroof liner was open (exposing the glass) and the hatch divider had been stored. I’m guessing both of those things could lead to road noise.

I’ll report back after another test drive.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 02:00 PM   #10
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep

The biggest thing you mentioned was the hatch liner...on the GT, the thing is quite thick and gasketed to seal the passenger compartment off from the 'trunk' /hatch. With that stowed, it would be noisier. Tires can make a difference, too. I drove a couple of different GT's, and those with the larger wheels were noisier, but not all that much.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2011, 01:46 PM   #11
TheFutureOfCoffee
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5M & M4 Convertible

I have both a 2011 550 GT and a 2012 550i Sedan, I can tell you, the GT is the most comfortable, not to mention that the side bolsters on the GT still operate automatically whereas on the 5 sedan, even with the best seats, the side bolsters are not adjustable. The GT seems quieter too, it's more luxe, the sedan is much more sporty and great as an everyday ride.
Appreciate 0