2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding BMW Apps - BMW Connected Version 1.8 Released today

07-21-2012, 04:29 PM   #23
Laserbeam...er
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i, 1985 Grand Wagoneer

After working at Best Buy for years, I can tell you that yes, android has a bigger market share, but that's only because they flood every carrier with 5+ phones per season. Apple... 2 phones, maybe three if you count the 3GS that AT&T still carries. Of course they have a higher margin of phone sales, ESP. When most of their phones sell for a dollar. These dollar phones, however, would never be operational with the BMW because as soon as they launch, their operating system and processor are obsolete. Aside from rooting, they're useless in a year or less. I don't dislike phones like the new EVO or the S3 but they can't measure up to the security and operation of the iPhone... No way. BMW would be dumb to devote initial app development to multiple devices when apple has the support and marketing that it does.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2012, 04:31 PM   #24
Laserbeam...er
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i, 1985 Grand Wagoneer

Touché kmarei
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2012, 04:39 PM   #25
evkl
Private
Rep
Drives: '18 F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcution View Post
Here another link I found. Not the article but a thrad/poll from BMW owners.

http://www.bmwenthusiasts.co.uk/foru....php?f=3&t=334

Stated in the thread:

" just recently left iPhone and went for the Samsung Galaxy S2. Feeling all smug thinking it was 'superior in every way' n all that but it's utter shite, not sure if it's the phone or the operating system but needless to say I'll be getting rid soon and going back to iPhone. Can't beat iPhone, no matter what all the phone snobbery says"

BMW owners:

Iphone: 69%
Other smart phones (probably windows and android): 31%

I don't think a poll where only 13 people voted is enough to give a statistic like that. Apple will always be a top dog in this industry, but Google is chipping away at them at a pretty fast rate. Just look at all of these silly patent lawsuits that are going on. Things like that are indications that Apple is starting to get worried about how far Android can go. In the end and as we all know, it all really comes down to personal preference for these phones. So let's just hope the BMW app for Android comes sooner then expected so we can all be happy!
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2012, 04:57 PM   #26
mrbrett
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerbs View Post
Who is "the majority?"

Also, just because BMW uses a platform hardly means it's 'the best'.

A responsible company would develop and integrate across multiple platforms. Especially for something like an automobile which is used by literally hundreds of thousands of various consumers; all with varying preferences in their mobile device choices.

...You should know this, being in software development...
As a software engineer, I can tell you those numbers from the graphs don't mean anything or tell the whole story when it comes to profit or App usage. At my shop, we develop for both iOS and Android and sometimes blackberry. I am not defending the previous poster's smugness in anyway, but BMW's decision here probably makes sense. The last study I saw is that 2/3rd of all Android devices were still using 2.2, and 2.3 of the OS, which were released in 2010... That says alot about the platform. Also, it's easy to have 50% of the market when you have 300 Android devices released every year to Apple's one very expensive device. We have NEVER had a client come in and ask us to develop an app for the Android first, I think we had one that wanted to have the iOS and Android developed concurrently. They always ask for the iOS version first. It's just the way it is.

Where I work, it's almost always that we develop the iOS version first, get it to market and then develop the Android version. The iOS always has a higher retention rate.

While I realize there are plenty of BMW driver's with Anroid phones, I would bet there are alot more iPhone users, and I'm sure they did their market research here, and I assure you they are plenty resposible with their decision. I think the main reason here is they only have to make sure this app works and connects to BMW hardware with a few versions of iPhone instead of getting their hardware to work with the 45,000 available Android devices. I could be wrong, but that's my educated guess.

I would also guess that if the iPhone app is popular with their clients, they will eventually develop an Android version.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2012, 05:07 PM   #27
williewonkerz
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235i

Garage List
2014 M235i  [0.00]
I wish the thing could tell me the weather in the car.....
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2012, 05:28 PM   #28
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport

Erm, mine is already 1.8, and has been for some time
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2012, 05:41 PM   #29
.b0link
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 LMB 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydermirza12 View Post
Lol... you do realize that Android has almost double the market share compared to Apples iOS... you must still be living in 2008...
I think it has more to do in that its a stable platform.

No not in the software aspect, though it is stable, can't comment on Droid because I have never used it.

I say stable in the matter which the life cycle of the form factor is. The same reason why all the droid guys bitch that there is not enough aftermarket selection for accessories as there is for Apple.

Simply, companies do not want to spend the money to design tons of cases and accessories for a model of phone that will be replaced in under 3 months.

With apple they can count on average 2 years of the form factor remaining unchanged and a couple more years after that of people still using that phone.

I would not be surprised if you never saw a single BMW cradle for android phones unless one of the manufacturers starts to follow the steps of Apple. Longer life cycle with a mid cycle refresh.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2012, 09:11 PM   #30
GreekboyD
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335d

Garage List
2009 BMW 335d  [8.00]
Any chance of a retrofit for previous iDrive versions to run this app at some point?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2012, 11:12 PM   #31
Ehwnnc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11 335i

I hate windows and apple products even though I have an I phone. Im a Linux guy.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2012, 12:33 AM   #32
arnsbrae
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Knight_335 View Post
Erm, mine is already 1.8, and has been for some time
Yes, me too...
      07-22-2012, 12:53 AM   #33
Pangloss
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i Convertible

Again, this argument is moot, because, as was discussed in another thread, Android support is coming in 2013. Done deal, signed-sealed-delivered, horse out of barn, end of story.

You guys don't seem to realize how many developers there are on this forum. You're not talking to newbs. We all know it's easier to write for iOS than Android, and we all know WinPhone is (currently) a moving train wreck, and we're all planning rollouts on all three platforms anyway, plus Win8/RT down the road. We're all in it for the money, just like BMW, and a real developer could care less about the platform if it makes him or her money. (rofl)

Let's get back to talking about how much better BMW is over Mercedes. THOSE guys need to be schooled. Srsly.
      07-22-2012, 03:28 AM   #34
Manabu
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i M Sport

Garage List
2013 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinL View Post
Gotta wonder why in the blue hell they did this for some lame Apple instead of most popular os in the world, Android... kinda like what some Audi would do...
Android may be on a lot more smartphones than iOS. However iOS has a larger market share than Android among affluent consumers...the same affluent consumers purchasing BMW's. BMW should build apps for Android as well, but I think they will only do for the most popular devices as there are too many different Android phones out there.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2012, 04:09 AM   #35
Igoryanych
Rep
Drives: F01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehwnnc View Post
I hate windows and apple products even though I have an I phone. Im a Linux guy.
Hmm... Actually Mac OS and iOS are Unix based just like your linux.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2012, 04:18 AM   #36
Pierre Louis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 535d

I looked and so far it's been difficult to fit an iPhone 4s to my 2011 335d without having the car originally come with the optional apps and the iPhone module. All the announcements seem to be geared towards the newest cars, namely the 2012 and up models. Any help would be appreciated.

PL
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2012, 04:18 AM   #37
Xcution
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i mSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igoryanych View Post
Hmm... Actually Mac OS and iOS are Unix based just like your linux.
+1 ;p
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2012, 04:58 AM   #38
gecko
Private
Belgium
Rep
Drives: E92 AW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerbs View Post
Who is "the majority?"

A responsible company would develop and integrate across multiple platforms. Especially for something like an automobile which is used by literally hundreds of thousands of various consumers; all with varying preferences in their mobile device choices.

This chart only makes sense in the topic discussion if you can overlay this with the figures who drives a BMW.
      07-22-2012, 10:47 AM   #39
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekboyD View Post
Any chance of a retrofit for previous iDrive versions to run this app at some point?
You can look into having your car retrofitted with BMW Apps. A search will give you all the specifics.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2012, 12:09 PM   #40
E60orBust
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: "The Brothers //M-Sport" E90/2

At least they are making one for Android. Where are the Symbian users :P

As far as iOS vs Android, that is a bad comparison. It is better to say iOS6 vs Jellybean/ICS and the number of phones on the market running that. How many android phones are still running froyo, yet are still counted in the official "Android phones" in circulation?

Anyhow, comparing people's preference for developing on Apple vs Google is best compared to developing for the xBox vs PC. Both are originating from Microsoft, but developing a game for an Xbox 360, you know exactly that everyone's running standardized hardware, so its easier for you to ring the most performance out of your game because you know the limits on the hardware that will be running it.

Flip to PC. We might both be running Windows 7 Ultimate, but yours is running an Intel sandy bridge, 2GB of staples budget memory and a 50GB 5400RPM hard drive loaded with bloatware and maybe some spyware for the hell of it. My Win7 machine is running a top tier Ivy bridge processor with 8 cores, 24GB of Crucial memory and a 256GB SSD RAID0 paired to two 2TB Raptor drives in RAID 0.

Its going to take them longer to code their game for the PC so that you and I can both have an enjoyable experience. Now if they just coded it for a rig with my specs, I guarantee the game would visually blow your mind and consoles out of the water. The trade-off is not many people will buy it because of the exorbitant system specs.
      07-22-2012, 01:09 PM   #41
lawgone
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcution View Post
Sounds like a lot of wishing...I think apple will further surpass android and window and will stay on top for a long time.

Don't get me wrong they each have their pros and cons...to each his own. I think the majority will agree with BMW (since they only use the best) that they made the right choice.
Who is "the majority?"

US only data as of July, 2012:

US Only data as of February, 2012:

Global data as of July, 2012:
No offense, but posting graphs derived from raw data doesn't mean anything if you don't analyze that data further. You need to be able to interpret the data or you'll always be susceptible to data manipulation. To use this data and make a business decision off if it would be a huge mistake.
      07-22-2012, 02:32 PM   #42
Catalina Wine Mixer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 09 335i Coupe White/Coral Red

Garage List
2009 335i  [7.26]
2008 328i  [5.50]
Does this work with my car. I have the app but it Dosent connect I have a 2009 335i coupe with Idrive it can never pair with my
iPhone 4s
| 09 335i Coupe | Alpine White/Coral Red | M Sport | 6mt | Premium | Logic7 | 19" Beyern Mesh | 20% Tint | LUX Angel Eyes | 5000k Fogs | Black Kidney Grill | BMS DCI | Cobb Stage 1 | M-Pedal Set | Painted Side Reflectors | Rear Lip Spoiler | Euro Front Plate | Passport 9500ix | BIM Coded |
Who is John Galt??
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2012, 02:56 PM   #43
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by williewonkerz View Post
I wish the thing could tell me the weather in the car.....
If you put this latest Weather-network Apps on your iPhone then whereever you may travel your iPhone will tell you what the weather will be now and 7 days ahead (the apps follows you whereever you go or are no need to do any more then open the iPhone Apps) Google Weather-Netwoerk Apps for the iPhone ... or go here---> Click to Open

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2012, 02:58 PM   #44
h3lpmedic
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 328xi Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by P3rsian Pr0digy View Post
Does this work with my car. I have the app but it Dosent connect I have a 2009 335i coupe with Idrive it can never pair with my
iPhone 4s
Not long ago when I did a CIC/Combox retrofit, I too was not able to pair my iphone 4s with the cic system using a Y cable. Patryk (bimmertech) quickly identified that my combox needed to get its software updated, and now it works flawlessly like a champ. the software update was simple all you need is an unused USB stick.
Appreciate 0