2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Some thought's on the 520D after first two weeks

01-07-2012, 01:10 PM   #1
Sawkt23
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 520d Msport

Some thought's on the 520D after first two weeks

Good Evening a new f10 Owner
Well I've just completed my first thousnad miles on the 520, And I have to say Im very pleased so far, Im also quite impressed with the MPG around town.

Couple of observations.
  • Im sure its been well discussed but very dissapointed with the daylight driving light looks awful, Why not just have the angel eyes lit.
  • The I drive controller menu screen, Too many options with the split screen menus etc, Please make it simpler.
  • The auto Light feature does not seem to work correctly as its on all day(Shame the Audi features are really good at this)
  • Rear visibilty very poor, But I guess the PDC is there.
  • The heated seat options switch off when I switch the car off wish there was a way of having them on when I restart the vehicle.

Any way theyre just minor, But as I said Im loving it.

Anyone considering a 5 series go for it you wont regret it.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2012, 01:23 PM   #2
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawkt23 View Post
Good Evening a new f10 Owner
Well I've just completed my first thousnad miles on the 520, And I have to say Im very pleased so far, Im also quite impressed with the MPG around town.

Couple of observations.
  • Im sure its been well discussed but very dissapointed with the daylight driving light looks awful, Why not just have the angel eyes lit.
  • The I drive controller menu screen, Too many options with the split screen menus etc, Please make it simpler.
  • The auto Light feature does not seem to work correctly as its on all day(Shame the Audi features are really good at this)
  • Rear visibilty very poor, But I guess the PDC is there.
  • The heated seat options switch off when I switch the car off wish there was a way of having them on when I restart the vehicle.

Any way theyre just minor, But as I said Im loving it.

Anyone considering a 5 series go for it you wont regret it.
Congrats and welcome. Any pics yet?

Your first point. What do you mean exactly? There are two levels of brightness if I'm not mistaken, or is it just the look you don't like?

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2012, 01:33 PM   #3
islandnipper
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: MY 2012 F10 520d SE

Congratulations on your new 520D, you seem to be enjoying it as much as I'm enjoying my F10 (now coming up to 3 months old; one of the first 2012 model year cars).

I'm not sure what you mean about the daytime driving lights not using the angels eyes only... or the auto light not working, but perhaps it's differences in the lighting spec? Certainly my adaptive xenons switch on and off according to lighting levels and allow the angel eyes alone to operate as the daytime driving lights.

Agree that the rear viz is not good out of the windows. As you say, the PDC is there though - and I've also got the rear view and surround cameras which solve the problem beautifully!

I've noticed that there are some occasions when the heated seats do come back on when re-starting the car, but not sure of the conditions. I don't think its been a long time off though (most of the time I don't keep the seats on for long anyway - except when my daughter is travelling in the back, when they're probably on full all the time! I was not allowed to buy a car without rear heated seats too! )
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2012, 01:34 PM   #4
Sawkt23
United Kingdom
Rep

Pic's

Some Pic's
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-07-2012, 01:36 PM   #5
Sawkt23
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Hood View Post
Congrats and welcome. Any pics yet?

Your first point. What do you mean exactly? There are two levels of brightness if I'm not mistaken, or is it just the look you don't like?

Cheers
Robin
Hi pic's added, The DRL in the UK must be a different spec as the Dipped headlights stay on when you select the DRL
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2012, 01:43 PM   #6
islandnipper
Private First Class
Rep

Great pics!
I'm in the UK and my angels are on just by themselves as DRLs - I've just gone out to double check that I wasn't having a "senior moment!" ...

Do the dipped headlights still appear with your lights in the "off" position when you select the daytime lights?

Normal operation for me is to leave the angels on all the time, with the auto lights going on and off according to lighting levels.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2012, 02:57 PM   #7
Sawkt23
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandnipper View Post
Great pics!
I'm in the UK and my angels are on just by themselves as DRLs - I've just gone out to double check that I wasn't having a "senior moment!" ...

Do the dipped headlights still appear with your lights in the "off" position when you select the daytime lights?

Normal operation for me is to leave the angels on all the time, with the auto lights going on and off according to lighting levels.
Hi Thanks,

The DRL when selected appear as the dipped headlights, in the Auto position.

Just a quick one what options if any do you have fitted The Xenons?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2012, 03:19 PM   #8
islandnipper
Private First Class
Rep

Hi, it does sound as if your auto lights are not operating correctly in bright daylight (but I only know how my own F10 works, so hopefully others will comment too...)

The options I went for are shown in the thread below (with pics)

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598432
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2012, 03:42 PM   #9
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandnipper View Post
Hi, it does sound as if your auto lights are not operating correctly in bright daylight (but I only know how my own F10 works, so hopefully others will comment too...)
I have the same feeling about the lights.

Thanx for the pics. The steeringwheel is located much more to the right than in my car. LOL

(What is going to happen with Rooney, will he stay? What's the fuzz.What do you think?)
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2012, 03:54 PM   #10
islandnipper
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Hood View Post
I have the same feeling about the lights.

Thanx for the pics. The steeringwheel is located much more to the right than in my car. LOL

(What is going to happen with Rooney, will he stay? What's the fuzz.What do you think?)
Yes, the wheel is quite right! LOL!

(Difficult to tell about Rooney; the more he and Man U deny the rumours, the more you think there maybe something in it!)
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2012, 04:04 PM   #11
remmib
General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawkt23 View Post
Hi pic's added, The DRL in the UK must be a different spec as the Dipped headlights stay on when you select the DRL
No xenon I guess on your car.

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3DDesign Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
Appreciate 0