2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Someone stole my mirror

02-12-2024, 08:08 PM   #1
culto
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90, F10, F30 and F48

Someone stole my mirror

So I was at work today and someone stole my passages side view mirror (just the glass). The a-hole snipped the wires through so I think I am going to have to change the control module or look for a salvaged mirror.

There are 4 wires bundled together which were snipped. I assume the wires were for the heat and the auto tilt.

Anyone have any experience changing a control module?

I’m looking on eBay but the ones that I found seem to have more wires (camera perhaps).

Thanks in advance for any input.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2024, 11:04 PM   #2
M_Bimmer
Captain
Rep
Drives: G12 B7, G07 XB7, F02 B7, 991.1

Sorry about the situation...but it's not as bad as you think.

1. The 4 wires are for, 2 wires for heating, 2 wires for auto dim (not dip)
2. Auto dip (reverse curb view) is managed by the mirror motor

The mirror is easy to repair with a connector repair kit sold on Amazon and eBay ($9 each connector)

The mirror (US version with the black plastic trim around the edge of the mirror), is pretty expensive used, ~$200. You have a choice to buy the EU version that provides a larger reflective surface, and the outer edge of the mirror provides better visibility of your blind spot for ~$100.
Appreciate 2
      02-13-2024, 05:17 AM   #3
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Sorry to hear this. But to anyone that has folding mirrors…this is one example where if you fold them inward when parked in public…it can be a slight deterrent for this type of pilfering. When the mirrors are folded inward, it is difficult to try to steal the mirror glass.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 1
culto49.00
      02-13-2024, 06:32 AM   #4
culto
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
Sorry to hear this. But to anyone that has folding mirrors…this is one example where if you fold them inward when parked in public…it can be a slight deterrent for this type of pilfering. When the mirrors are folded inward, it is difficult to try to steal the mirror glass.
My mirror was folded in which is probably why he cut the connector. Also parked in an open spot in a lot with no one around me. He probably spotted my car parked next to me and stole the mirror in broad daylight.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2024, 06:37 AM   #5
culto
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Bimmer View Post
Sorry about the situation...but it's not as bad as you think.

1. The 4 wires are for, 2 wires for heating, 2 wires for auto dim (not dip)
2. Auto dip (reverse curb view) is managed by the mirror motor

The mirror is easy to repair with a connector repair kit sold on Amazon and eBay ($9 each connector)

The mirror (US version with the black plastic trim around the edge of the mirror), is pretty expensive used, ~$200. You have a choice to buy the EU version that provides a larger reflective surface, and the outer edge of the mirror provides better visibility of your blind spot for ~$100.

Thanks! Where can I buy the EU version?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2024, 03:16 PM   #6
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by culto View Post
Thanks! Where can I buy the EU version?
The best way to find a Euro wide angle (aspherical) mirror is to pull the mirrors up in one of the online part database sites like realoem.com or bimmercat.com but select for a Euro market model that is like yours.

Then pull up the mirror diagrams and scroll down to the part nbr for the wide angle mirrors that have the same options you have.

Once you have the correct 11 digit BMW part nbr for the wide angle mirror that fits your option codes etc...the simply google BMW xx xx x xxx xxx {where x= the actual part nbr}. You'll usually find sellers on eBay or Amazon.com and some of the aftermarket vendors that sell oe parts.

I've purchased these mirrors for every BMW I've owned since learning about them. The last few times...I've gotten them from vendors in the Baltic States (Lithuania/Latvia/Estonia) and once from a seller in Germany. Back in the 90s you could order them from the Euro side of the BMW parts database from your local BMW dealer's parts department.

Examples of the wide angle mirror:
Top mirror is the standard DS plain mirror glass
Bottom mirror is the wide angle DS mirror glass (note that more parking spaces can be seen in the Wide Angle Mirror.
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 2
      02-13-2024, 04:06 PM   #7
culto
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

[QUOTE=Qsilver7;30900893]The best way to find a Euro wide angle (aspherical) mirror is to pull the mirrors up in one of the online part database sites like realoem.com or bimmercat.com but select for a Euro market model that is like yours.

Then pull up the mirror diagrams and scroll down to the part nbr for the wide angle mirrors that have the same options you have.

Once you have the correct 11 digit BMW part nbr for the wide angle mirror that fits your option codes etc...the simply google BMW xx xx x xxx xxx {where x= the actual part nbr}. You'll usually find sellers on eBay or Amazon.com and some of the aftermarket vendors that sell oe parts.

I've purchased these mirrors for every BMW I've owned since learning about them. The last few times...I've gotten them from vendors in the Baltic States (Lithuania/Latvia/Estonia) and once from a seller in Germany. Back in the 90s you could order them from the Euro side of the BMW parts database from your local BMW dealer's parts department.

Examples of the wide angle mirror:
Top mirror is the standard DS plain mirror glass
Bottom mirror is the wide angle DS mirror glass (note that more parking spaces can be seen in the Wide Angle Mirror.

Thank you! In the meantime I bought a cheap replacement mirror from Amazon which just arrived and I am filling a police report tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2024, 05:47 PM   #8
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

They show up on eBay regularly.
Appreciate 1
culto49.00
      02-13-2024, 09:53 PM   #9
M_Bimmer
Captain
Rep
Drives: G12 B7, G07 XB7, F02 B7, 991.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by culto View Post
There are 4 wires bundled together which were snipped. I assume the wires were for the heat and the auto tilt.
If you find a replacement connector, with the connector's locking part facing up, and the connector in the up orientation, going left to right, you should see the following wiring colors (as shown in the figure):

1. Pin 1: Brown wire
2. Pin 2: Red wire
3. Pin 3: Purple wire
4. Pin 4: Black wire
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      02-14-2024, 09:21 AM   #10
culto
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Bimmer View Post
If you find a replacement connector, with the connector's locking part facing up, and the connector in the up orientation, going left to right, you should see the following wiring colors (as shown in the figure):

1. Pin 1: Brown wire
2. Pin 2: Red wire
3. Pin 3: Purple wire
4. Pin 4: Black wire
Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2024, 02:07 PM   #11
culto
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Update: it was cheaper to buy a whole mirror assembly with the glass from a salvage yard than to just buy the glass itself. Swapped the mirror assembly and the mirror cap today and everything is working great.
Appreciate 1