2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics DIY Guides & Discussions DIY MSPORT side skirt install!

07-15-2017, 09:57 PM   #1
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Cool DIY MSPORT side skirt install!

hey fellow forum members! decided to make a DIY since i really didn't find one other than the info i got from you guys and everything on YouTube was for other BMW's. now what helped me out was i used the MSPORT skirt for reference to see where all the screws would be since you can see all the mounting points. so let's get started

here's the boring base skirts

and here's the beautiful MSPORT skirts

using a 8mm socket

starting from the rear remove the first two screws underneath that are running vertical to each other

next remove the two plastic screws on each side of the jack plate with a philips head screw driver

working towards your way to the front of the skirt there are two more 8mm screws

now here is where the hidden plastic screw is to be found. the BMW door sill logo is pretty much above or in line with where that screw can be found. you have to push down on what looks like hard felt cover

than pretty much remove the remaining 4 8mm screws as you work your way towards the front of the skirt

now i looked on the rear end of the MSPORT skirt and noticed there's like a tab that hangs down a bit which is what holds the skirt into place. i was careful when i pulled on the skirt not to break it since when you first pull on it it's on pretty good but add enough pressure and it'll pop out!

now start pulling little by little like so and you'll hear the skirt popping out

continue pulling making your way toward to the front

here again you can see the little slot where there's a tab that the skirt snaps into so just pull with some pressure and eventually the skirt will pop out

the rear door has to be wide open in order to get the skirt to drop down.

now install is basically the same thing but in reverse. since these are not OEM these replica MSPORT skirts fit very well. no gaps whatsoever considering the 3d style carbon fiber side skirt fit flush as well

and the finished install! not too bad eh?

hope this helps anybody looking to remove their skirts or for the members looking to swap out there base skirts to MSPORT skirts
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg

Last edited by lsturbointeg; 07-15-2017 at 10:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2017, 10:30 PM   #2
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
hey fellow forum members! decided to make a DIY since i really didn't find one other than the info i got from you guys and everything on YouTube was for other BMW's. now what helped me out was i used the MSPORT skirt for reference to see where all the screws would be since you can see all the mounting points. so let's get started

here's the boring base skirts

and here's the beautiful MSPORT skirts

using a 8mm socket

starting from the rear remove the first two screws underneath that are running vertical to each other

next remove the two plastic screws on each side of the jack plate with a philips head screw driver

working towards your way to the front of the skirt there are two more 8mm screws

now here is where the hidden plastic screw is to be found. the BMW door sill logo is pretty much above or in line with where that screw can be found. you have to push down on what looks like hard felt cover

than pretty much remove the remaining 4 8mm screws as you work your way towards the front of the skirt

now i looked on the rear end of the MSPORT skirt and noticed there's like a tab that hangs down a bit which is what holds the skirt into place. i was careful when i pulled on the skirt not to break it since when you first pull on it it's on pretty good but add enough pressure and it'll pop out!

now start pulling little by little like so and you'll hear the skirt popping out

continue pulling making your way toward to the front

here again you can see the little slot where there's a tab that the skirt snaps into so just pull with some pressure and eventually the skirt will pop out

the rear door has to be wide open in order to get the skirt to drop down.

now install is basically the same thing but in reverse. since these are not OEM these replica MSPORT skirts fit very well. no gaps whatsoever considering the 3d style carbon fiber side skirt fit flush as well

and the finished install! not too bad eh?

hope this helps anybody looking to remove their skirts or for the members looking to swap out there base skirts to MSPORT skirts

Appreciate 2
      07-17-2017, 02:12 AM   #3
Ickdeep
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F10 M5 | '15 F15 X5

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [10.00]
2013 BMW M5 [SOLD]  [10.00]
2013 BMW 535i [SOLD]  [10.00]
How did you put your side skirt extensions on? tape? screws?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2017, 02:21 PM   #4
EL Jeffe 5
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: CBR1000RR

Thanks for posting
      07-18-2017, 02:23 PM   #5
EL Jeffe 5
Major
United_States
Rep

hey WTH man where are the wheels
      07-18-2017, 03:29 PM   #6
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ickdeep View Post
How did you put your side skirt extensions on? tape? screws?
self tapping screws but once i get the bumper and skirts back from the paint shop i'll use bolts and nuts. with the self tappers i'm worried they may give after awhile since i won't be using 3m double sided tape. plus, not that anyone would try to steal them but you'll never know

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL Jeffe 5 View Post
hey WTH man where are the wheels
lol! the wife decided to curb the "F" out of my wheels so i sent them out to John at GetYourWheels and i just got them back last week! i'll be slapping them back on once i get the rear bumper/skirts back from the paint shop. actually, probably after i get the Meisterschaft exhaust installed that way the muffler shop doesn't curb my wheels getting it onto the lift

here's the damage

and after it was repaired
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~

Last edited by lsturbointeg; 07-18-2017 at 03:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2017, 08:53 AM   #7
EL Jeffe 5
Major
United_States
Rep

Damn she did some serious damage
you got if fixed that's cool and wife is nowhere to be found missing every since wheel got damaged jk
      07-19-2017, 11:45 AM   #8
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL Jeffe 5 View Post
Damn she did some serious damage
you got if fixed that's cool and wife is nowhere to be found missing every since wheel got damaged jk
I did plant some new trees in the backyard wink wink! Jk!
Appreciate 1
      01-21-2021, 11:22 PM   #9
addy27
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i

Wanted to thank you for this post man, I switched up to M sport side skirts and followed your guide. BTW, I am a bit disappointed as the F10 M sport side skirts don't bulge out as much as the E60 M Sport or M5 side skirts would. Oh well, I'm still happy with them.
I wanted to add a few tips:

1 - When putting the side skirts on, make sure they go UNDER the underbody cover panel, NOT over.. stupid lesson learnt..

2- Be careful of the lone little clip/slot at the very front of the side skirt where it gets installed into the plastic trim brackets that hold the side skirts in place. Its prone to breaking easily. It shouldn't be a big deal at all but still these things get brittle over time and the driver side on mine was already broken off in the bracket. once you get to the front, you can use a plastic pry tool too to make sure you're not putting extra pressure on this clip/slot

3 - At the front, the skirt goes under the underbody panel goes first, then the front panel goes over it and then all they all get screwed down. I made a boo boo of putting the the order where the front wheel well panel goes first, then the underbody panel. And at 60MPH I was hearing a nasty flapping sound. and by the time I got home, that little end piece with the bracket for the screw got ripped off on the road somewhere.. Had to fix the order of things after getting home and now should be all good.

Last edited by addy27; 01-21-2021 at 11:59 PM..
Appreciate 1
      01-22-2021, 07:54 AM   #10
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by addy27 View Post
Wanted to thank you for this post man, I switched up to M sport side skirts and followed your guide. BTW, I am a bit disappointed as the F10 M sport side skirts don't bulge out as much as the E60 M Sport or M5 side skirts would. Oh well, I'm still happy with them.
I wanted to add a few tips:

1 - When putting the side skirts on, make sure they go UNDER the underbody cover panel, NOT over.. stupid lesson learnt..

2- Be careful of the lone little clip/slot at the very front of the side skirt where it gets installed into the plastic trim brackets that hold the side skirts in place. Its prone to breaking easily. It shouldn't be a big deal at all but still these things get brittle over time and the driver side on mine was already broken off in the bracket. once you get to the front, you can use a plastic pry tool too to make sure you're not putting extra pressure on this clip/slot

3 - At the front, the skirt goes under the underbody panel goes first, then the front panel goes over it and then all they all get screwed down. I made a boo boo of putting the the order where the front wheel well panel goes first, then the underbody panel. And at 60MPH I was hearing a nasty flapping sound. and by the time I got home, that little end piece with the bracket for the screw got ripped off on the road somewhere.. Had to fix the order of things after getting home and now should be all good.
good points there! i assumed when people are removing these they can automatically see that they go UNDER the underbody cover panel and not over lol! as far the skirts not bulging as much i think that after i added the 3d carbon fiber skirt extension they do stick out quite a bit as i had to train myself to really step over when getting out of the car. i even had to remind the wifey for a few weeks don't forget to step over further which annoyed her after repeatedly telling her lol!

Appreciate 1
BurrNinja427.50