2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum "Driving Experience Control" & auto stop/start

07-02-2011, 11:33 AM   #1
ex-poster
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2000 328, 2006 330

"Driving Experience Control" & auto stop/start

I've been planning on picking up an F10 this fall or perhaps ED next spring.

I see the references to Driving Experience Control in the 2012 press releases, along with (for me) the dreaded auto stop/start functionality. My reasons for staying away from auto stop/start are my own, but suffice it to say that I will never buy a car that forces me into using it - or even tries to entice me into using it.

I searched for "Driving Experience Control" and found very little, but I do see it's on the 6, and I've posted the BMW blurb down below.

Key question here: if DEC is totally driver selectable and I never have to go into ECO PRO if I don't want to, does that mean I'll never run into auto stop/start? I don't like the idea of paying for technology and equipment on the car that I'll never use, but if this avoids auto stop/start then it may be an acceptable compromise.

Otherwise it's off to Audi or similar.

Here's the BMW info from the 6 page:

Quote:
Driving Experience Control

How would you like to drive today? Driving Experience Control fitted as standard makes the difference. Adapt the BMW 6 Series Coupé to meet your needs – or those of your passengers.

Switch to SPORT Mode and experience pure driving dynamics: the engine responds more spontaneously to the accelerator and the eight-speed sports automatic transmission Steptronic lets the engine rev high before quickly changing up a gear. At the same time it tightens the setting of the steering. In the SPORT + Mode, the Dynamic Stability Control allows controlled drifting to the limit. Optional Adaptive Drive or Dynamic Damper Control additionally provides you with COMFORT+ Mode. It ensures a particularly comfortable ride and effectively compensates for any unevenness of the road surface.

ECO PRO mode allows the BMW 640i and 640d to drive with improved consumption figures. Transmission, heating and cooling systems are geared to maximum efficiency and recommendations during the journey indicate how fuel consumption can be reduced still further. ECO PRO mode supports a markedly relaxed driving style with optimised fuel consumption at low engine speeds. Depending on driving style, savings in fuel consumption of up to 20%* may be achieved.
Appreciate 0