2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum M5/M sport rear bumper question

06-11-2016, 06:35 AM   #1
dadysev
Captain
Montenegro
Rep
Drives: Man

M5/M sport rear bumper question

Ok probably been answered in other threads, but i only find pieces of answers i need.
I have the non sport rear bumper on my 550i, i'm Thinking of putting the Msport bumper on with a not to aggressive rear valence.

Question 1. is the M5 rear bumper and M sport rear bumper the same?
Question 2. do i need any extra hardware to add the bumper?
Question 3. is there additional hardware needed between the M sport and M5 valence?

Forgive me, i'm a little confused.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2016, 07:10 AM   #2
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadysev View Post
Ok probably been answered in other threads, but i only find pieces of answers i need.
I have the non sport rear bumper on my 550i, i'm Thinking of putting the Msport bumper on with a not to aggressive rear valence.

Question 3. is there additional hardware needed between the M sport and M5 valence?

hey brother you're pretty much doing what i'm doing but without the aggessive diffuser. from my homework the Msport/M5 are the same bumpers. the diffuser would be the only difference. from what you can buy on ebay or from the site sponsors there's a plastic piece i believe that needs to be changed out. i'm not sure what it is exactly as i have yet put mine on.
but here it is i circled in RED
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 1
      06-11-2016, 07:21 AM   #3
dadysev
Captain
Montenegro
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
hey brother you're pretty much doing what i'm doing but without the aggessive diffuser. from my homework the Msport/M5 are the same bumpers. the diffuser would be the only difference. from what you can buy on ebay or from the site sponsors there's a plastic piece i believe that needs to be changed out. i'm not sure what it is exactly as i have yet put mine on.
but here it is i circled in RED
Thanks! I saw some posts showing this piece. does this go behind the bumper to secure the top of the valence?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2016, 07:24 AM   #4
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks! I saw some posts showing this piece. does this go behind the bumper to secure the top of the valence?
i'm browsing Google images because there's a photo of it installed. i know when i picked this bumper up from a fellow member he told me i'm going to need this piece and i assumed it's so it can attach to the rear bracket or something?
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2016, 08:21 AM   #5
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

so here's that piece i was talking about...the one on the bottom is the M5. there's a thread here that they posted where this goes and i can't find it but i'm looking

Last edited by lsturbointeg; 06-11-2016 at 08:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2016, 08:23 AM   #6
Stück
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 X5, E46 330i, R56 Mini.S

You're going to want a little more than that.

#6 is needed to make sure the bumper is steadfast and not flopping in the breeze. It is different than the non-MSport.

#8 and #9 are essential to fit the MSport rear bumper. They are differently shaped to fit the bumper, #8 is required because the reflectors are moved higher.

#12 L / R say they are MSport specific, and I got them, but did not find them to be significantly different and reused my originals with no problem.

You'll want the #4 that best suits your exhaust configuration.

Hardware wise you can reuse all of the original nuts, bolts and plastic push pin rivets.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-11-2016, 08:31 AM   #7
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

here's what i found from this member while searching what he had to do
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt_gman2005 View Post
absolutely, will be posting some exhaust pics after installation soon. Last night, trimmed the adapter (circled in red) in order to fit the M5 diffuser. easy task as long as you have the tools (dremel). below pic is an idea on how it looks like on stock N20 exhaust. final product, will look like the remus quad set-up in all-stainless (example below).

Appreciate 0
      06-11-2016, 08:32 AM   #8
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stück View Post
You're going to want a little more than that.

#6 is needed to make sure the bumper is steadfast and not flopping in the breeze. It is different than the non-MSport.

#8 and #9 are essential to fit the MSport rear bumper. They are differently shaped to fit the bumper, #8 is required because the reflectors are moved higher.

#12 L / R say they are MSport specific, and I got them, but did not find them to be significantly different and reused my originals with no problem.

You'll want the #4 that best suits your exhaust configuration.

Hardware wise you can reuse all of the original nuts, bolts and plastic push pin rivets.

i think with #6 depending on what diffuser he gets the DTM, M5, 3D is one piece which is pretty much part of #6 when attached to the 3 bolts or screws from underneath

#9 looks like the parts i posted correct?
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2016, 09:33 PM   #9
dadysev
Captain
Montenegro
Rep

Thanks to both of you. You are all answering my questions. My real confusion is the what diffuser do i like. M sport to subtle for me, M5 to aggressive. i'm still looking through all the "sexy A$$ " threads in the photos sticky. so many choices!

I don't want the car looking like an M5 but want a little more length to the Non Msport bumper i'm currently using with my M5 mufflers.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2016, 09:35 PM   #10
dadysev
Captain
Montenegro
Rep

Need a little more booty!
Attached Images

06-14-2016, 08:09 AM   #11
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Yep! you definitely need to put her under the knife and JLO that BOOTY! Vorsteiner is a pretty nice diffuser

Last edited by lsturbointeg; 06-14-2016 at 08:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2016, 04:25 PM   #12
dadysev
Captain
Montenegro
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg
Yep! you definitely need to put her under the knife and JLO that BOOTY! Vorsteiner is a pretty nice diffuser
Lol. "Jlo that booty".
      06-14-2016, 08:19 PM   #13
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

If I were to stick with my non m bumper I'd go with the Hamann

Appreciate 0
      06-14-2016, 10:04 PM   #14
dadysev
Captain
Montenegro
Rep

hmmmmm....
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2016, 06:44 AM   #15
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
hmmmmm....
choices choices choices
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2021, 10:09 PM   #16
yl
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 535

Quote:

Quote:

Just installed a rear OEM m-sport bumper on my non m-sport car and you don't need any thing else other than just the bumper, diffuser and little under tray to tie in the diffuser. I don't know about all this information out here on the forums that say you have to change the whole bumper assembly, I was lucky the person that sold me the bumper included all the other stuff in for free.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2021, 02:20 PM   #17
RuskyRambo550iX
Rep
Drives: 2015 550i xDrive

Quote:
Quote:
absolutely, will be posting some exhaust pics after installation soon. Last night, trimmed the adapter (circled in red) in order to fit the M5 diffuser. easy task as long as you have the tools (dremel). below pic is an idea on how it looks like on stock N20 exhaust. final product, will look like the remus quad set-up in all-stainless (example below).

If I have the MSport 550 and just looking to do a more aggressive diffuser along with M5 mufflers, what would I need?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2021, 09:09 AM   #18
yl
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 535

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuskyRambo550iX View Post
Quote:
Quote:

If I have the MSport 550 and just looking to do a more aggressive diffuser along with M5 mufflers, what would I need?
just a more aggressive diffuser. Be mindful that carbon diffusers don't have the best fitment as it is way harder to bend and mold into place
Appreciate 0