2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series Gran Turismo GT (F07) Forums General 5-Series GT (Gran Turismo) (F07) Forum Shipping my 530D GT to US

08-19-2011, 09:15 AM   #1
havivi
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 530D GT

Shipping my 530D GT to US

Hi all,

I am trying to get info to go with my 530D GT to Houston because the next year I will move there with the family due to work and probably definitely... so can somebody help me out to find a company in US with the whole process?

I know 530D GT is not being fabricated in US and it could be a problem but...however I would like to know if d will compensate me or otherwise is better get a bad and quick sell here in Spain.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2011, 03:45 PM   #2
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

Unless you are a diplomat, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and US Customs will likely not allow the import of the vehicle to the USA since it hasn't been certified for US emissions or crash safety requirements...the best thing to do is sell it there. Now, next year, there may be other choices, but right now, you'd have to replace it with a gasoline engined version, either the 535 or 550. There may be an exemption for a diplomat, but you'd have to take it back out of the country when you eventually left, adding to the overall costs.

Now, what you might be able to do is to order one for European delivery from a helping US dealer, drive it there for awhile, then they'll ship it to the USA for you as part of the deal. There is a limit on how long you can own the car before it is exported, or you'll be paying the VAT, but buying it from the USA for delivery there, you'd also need a US driver's license and address, which could make it messy. The price is right, though. If you go to the www.bmwusa.com website you can price it out.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2011, 12:40 AM   #3
havivi
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 530D GT

Thanks for your soon answer, I will try to sell it but it will be more difficult than all the paperwork to import it... I will post the pictures and how everything is going, thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2011, 01:53 PM   #4
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep

You're missing the point...all vehicles shipped into the USA MUST meet all USA safety and emissions requirements. Your vehicle does not and you would need to crash test one or more to get that. And, it still wouldn't meet the emissions standards. You may be able to do this if it is used for diplomatic purposes and sometimes they allow them in for short term testing by a manufacturer (or for off-road use, say to go to an auto show for example). But, you wouldn't be able to drive or register it on the roads IF you could ever get it out of customs.

You'd need a USA spec'ed vehicle, and BMW does not certify the 530d GT for US. Not to say they might eventually, but then yours is already built, and not to USA safety specs, either.

If you want a GT in the USA, I'd look into the possibility of buying one through a US dealer for delivery in Munich, which you could drive for awhile before turning it back in to them to be shipped to the USA. There's some hoops you'd have to jump through, and you may not be able to do that easily, but you'd probably get a much better price on a new one IF you could do that.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2011, 02:57 PM   #5
giol
Rep
Drives: BMW 535i GT

I am selling my 535i GT if you want to trade and make your life a bit easier (since it is gasoline and although european specs should be easier to get the EPA). My car is 2010 /06 model full option (sunroof,heated and ventilated comfort seats,Navi professional and tons of others). If you are interested send a pm , i live in Spain so you could probably ship directly the car from here as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2011, 07:45 PM   #6
Kenny65
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5

What is the 530D? I'm only familiar with the 535i and 550i in the states?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2011, 08:13 PM   #7
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kram0326 View Post
What is the 530D? I'm only familiar with the 535i and 550i in the states?
There are four engines currently being built for the GT, we only get the gasoline engines here. The 'd' designates a diesel. The other one is the 535d. Personally, I'd much have preferred the 530d when I bought the 535i, but they chose not to import that. One problem is that the few diesel engines they do import to the US are not the same as those sold in the rest of the world, so, to keep things more simple on a low-volume vehicle, they chose not to import it here and certify it for US emissions and safety.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2011, 08:15 PM   #8
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by giol View Post
I am selling my 535i GT if you want to trade and make your life a bit easier (since it is gasoline and although european specs should be easier to get the EPA). My car is 2010 /06 model full option (sunroof,heated and ventilated comfort seats,Navi professional and tons of others). If you are interested send a pm , i live in Spain so you could probably ship directly the car from here as well.
This would only be a possibility if the vehicle was a USA certified model. The versions sold outside of the USA, even with the same engine, don't have the same emissions or safety equipment as those sold in the USA.
Appreciate 0