2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes Warped Rotors (AGAIN!)

07-24-2016, 11:51 PM   #23
Teddylongtooth
ZEROdoubleZERO
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i m sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushway9172 View Post
Been traveling and haven't been able to give this much attention. I spoke with a BMW tech a few weeks back, and he told me I wouldn't be able to change the brake pads without having the vehicle plugged into a machine. Is this total BS? The front brakes were changed probably 3-5k miles ago by BMW.... should the sensor be reusable at this point?

Teddylongtooth - did you put the pads in yourself or did you bring it to a shop?

Thanks again!
Bushway, Sorry for the late response. Yes, I did my brakes myself and it was just like any other car. The bmw mechanics will tell you anything to keep you from working on your own car! After you change the pads and have the rotors turned or get new ones, all you need to do is reset the front brake pad service interval using the "secret menu" in the instrument cluster. You can search the menu process in youtube, "f-10 dash menu or brake reset f-10" instead of me trying to explain how to do it. As fas as the sensor goes, if the front brake pad light is not on then you dont need to change it. I reused mine, all it is-is a piece of metal with 2 wires connected to it that makes contact with the rotor as the pads wear out. The sensor mounts to the pad and as the pad wears it gets closer and closer to the rotor till it makes contact and wears on the piece of metal and opens up a signal loop and turns on the brake pad light. The light will not be on if the sensor isnt worn, but you should still reset the brake service in the "secret menu" for your own information and to reset the milage time. If you dont reset the light it will continue to add up the milage and the brake light will come on after a certian amount of miles are put on the car making you think you might need pads again. There are e few good threads in here on how to do the rear brakes with the electric emergency brake, no need for the dealer. Ive had my cross drilled rotors on my car with the akebonos for over a year, the rotors are perfectly flat and shiny with no signs of wear and no warping. Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2018, 06:32 AM   #24
lassehald
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 535i GT

Hi Bushway, just found this thread and can see that I have the exact same problem with my 535ix - did you ever find a permanent solution?

br Lasse
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2018, 08:57 AM   #25
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Warped rotors...
Appreciate 0