2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series Gran Turismo GT (F07) Forums General 5-Series GT (Gran Turismo) (F07) Forum How do you remove the grill on an f07

02-20-2015, 08:12 PM   #1
Genovese45
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850 Gran Coupe

How do you remove the grill on an f07

Please help. I have an f10. My buddy has an F07 how do we remove the grill on the f07 please
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 06:56 AM   #2
530dGT_UK
England
Rep
Drives: 530d GT

I removed my grills and many posts on forums for the F10/ F11 say "park it in the sun and yank them off". This may work but I think its too risky and the bumper flexes alot. They are also in there quite securely!

With the F07 there is no room to get your hand or anything behind it. I changed mine to gloss black ones and the way I did it was to use a hacksaw blade to cut out the individual slats so I could then use my hand to help get the tabs out. Even with the slats removed it was a pain and needs quite a bit of force.

I did take some photos of it during process and will try and post them.

Assuming you are replacing the grills and don't need the existing ones I'd suggest:

1) put low tack masking tape around the gap between kidney grill and bumper to prevent any scratches upon removal

2) Cut and remove the vertical slats to be able to get your hand around the back - you don't need to cut them all out but when you've started you've committed!

3) familiarise yourself where the tabs are (guess you already have new grills?)

3) Start in one corner to release the tabs gently (they will "pop" when they are free)

4) Be careful when releasing the final tabs as that is when you are at most risk of scratching the bumper. But pulling out straight and the masking tape should prevent damage.

5) Throw the old grills in the bin...

All at your own risk!

I'll try and post my before, during and after pictures...

I think alternatives may be the park it in sunshine and yank it method or complete bumper removal. Cutting them may seem drastic but if you aren't going to keep the grills it's certainly easier (and not sure they have much ebay value).

btw If you are switching to black grills it may be worth playing in photoshop to ensure you like the end result because using the method above there is obviously no going back..
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 01:58 PM   #3
530dGT_UK
England
Rep

Not going to help too much but here is mine after after grills.

Not the best of photos and I had thought I had some pictures during the removal, i.e with the slats cut.

Good luck!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 02:14 PM   #4
530dGT_UK
England
Rep

...and found one before for comparison
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 06:15 PM   #5