2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Vorsteiner wheels, 3 out of 4, bent...

01-19-2016, 10:15 PM   #1
ellisina4
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5C

Vorsteiner wheels, 3 out of 4, bent...

Please see my original post on my Vorsteiner VF-103s...

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1158931

I still love the wheels and the look of the car. I did hit a pothole a few months back during the first snowstorm in Chicago. This was while changing lanes at about 40mph. This produced a small nick/cut in the tire protector but the car drove fine.

Last week I started noticing that my rear view mirror and the steering wheel is vibrating at speeds above 60-70mph. Took my car to the trusted shop that I was using for last 20 years to have them check the wheels as I thought there may need to be re-balanced. Got a call back and was told that 3 wheels are bent pretty bad.

I was surprised big time as I could expect one rim being bent but not three.
These wheels are flow-forged...

I have been driving various cars with either factory or aftermarket 20" wheels and low profile tires for last 15 years in Chicago and never had a single bent wheel, at least to the extent that the car would vibrate and made it so noticeable. Is that possible that these wheels are so soft despite being flow-forged?

I contacted Vorsteiner and they were very helpful offering to sell me 3 replacement wheels at a huge discount… My question is, should I just abort this whole project and get different wheels (I always liked M5 343m wheels) or spend another $1k on replacing 3 wheels?

Thank you for the feedback.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2016, 07:02 AM   #2
535MSport
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 MSport 535- on the way

If you can get 3 wheels for $1000 go for it, have your bent ones fixed and sell on craigslist or ebay and you have made money on the deal.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2016, 04:39 PM   #3
bimmer722
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 535i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisina4 View Post
Please see my original post on my Vorsteiner VF-103s...

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1158931

I still love the wheels and the look of the car. I did hit a pothole a few months back during the first snowstorm in Chicago. This was while changing lanes at about 40mph. This produced a small nick/cut in the tire protector but the car drove fine.

Last week I started noticing that my rear view mirror and the steering wheel is vibrating at speeds above 60-70mph. Took my car to the trusted shop that I was using for last 20 years to have them check the wheels as I thought there may need to be re-balanced. Got a call back and was told that 3 wheels are bent pretty bad.

I was surprised big time as I could expect one rim being bent but not three.
These wheels are flow-forged...

I have been driving various cars with either factory or aftermarket 20" wheels and low profile tires for last 15 years in Chicago and never had a single bent wheel, at least to the extent that the car would vibrate and made it so noticeable. Is that possible that these wheels are so soft despite being flow-forged?

I contacted Vorsteiner and they were very helpful offering to sell me 3 replacement wheels at a huge discount… My question is, should I just abort this whole project and get different wheels (I always liked M5 343m wheels) or spend another $1k on replacing 3 wheels?

Thank you for the feedback.
Hey..no bother. About 4 months into ownership I hit a pot hole as well and bent my left front rim. I went to the fix it rim guy that a lot of people use around my way and had it fixed for about $150. Well, here lies the problem, they were not able to get the color matched perfectly. First it was gloss black then flat black. To make a long story short I wound up purchasing a new rim at full price! So if they are offering 3 rims for a grand i would jump all over it.

I have been told that once a rim is bent it will never be perfect again even if you get it straightened. I too love my rims and feel that the flow forged are still stronger than cast. It's the price we pay for driving with low profile tires and living in the northeast and the horrendous roads here.
Appreciate 0