2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Need advise: Car is still in the shop

01-14-2016, 12:30 PM   #1
M5Beast_NYC
Major
Rep
Drives: 15 M5

Need advise: Car is still in the shop

sorry for the long story...

As title states, I brought my car on 12/18 in for final new car warranty service and they replaced the rear brake pad along with other minor things. I requested to get my rotors replaced but it was denied. When I picked up the car that afternoon, I complained that my brakes were spongy and i almost rear ended a cop cuz I did not anticipate for my brakes to take that long to slow the car down. Obviously they didnt test drive it before returning the car to me. With no hassle they took the car back for another day.. given its a friday, they kept the car over the weekend and got me an x5 loaner. I picked up the car the following monday and brake feel was much improved but i felt the braking distance was still long.. but a lot better than before. I figured it was the new pads and ill let it break in a bit more.

the following weekend, my family took a drive to the pocono's. i figured by then this brake pad would be broken in by then.

Fast forward to new years, I was looking around the car and noticed the rear brake only had contact to the top half of the rotor. I immediately called the service dept and arranged for an appointment with loaner on 1/7 for a rework.

So its already been a week and the car is still there. They replaced the rotor and hopefully the pad but the tech felt it still wasnt right. so upon more checking, it appears they notice the caliper bracket was bent or something that it needs to be replaced. My SA told me that they have one but they its the only one in the continent and will need to order direct from Germany, which will take about two weeks...

So questions/advise:
-I currently have an x3 as a loaner. She mentioned an M but they dont offer that as a loaner. I called her today if I can get moved up to an X5, knowing that I will have a loaner for long term.
-Should I demand for more than a better loaner than an x3? I told her about my monthly car note payment this month and Im not even using my car?
-Should I be concern of other things given that my car will be at the service area for that long?
-lastly, the brake material are probably made of some of the strongest material to be able to withstand flex. The tech must of screwed up big time to cause the caliper bracket to break like that? Is that the right assumption? going back to my worries of what else could they have screwed up?

Thanks for reading my long rant. This is the first that happened to me and not sure what to do.

Appreciate 0
      01-14-2016, 01:31 PM   #2
splitsensetam
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbonm3ny View Post
sorry for the long story...

As title states, I brought my car on 12/18 in for final new car warranty service and they replaced the rear brake pad along with other minor things. I requested to get my rotors replaced but it was denied. When I picked up the car that afternoon, I complained that my brakes were spongy and i almost rear ended a cop cuz I did not anticipate for my brakes to take that long to slow the car down. Obviously they didnt test drive it before returning the car to me. With no hassle they took the car back for another day.. given its a friday, they kept the car over the weekend and got me an x5 loaner. I picked up the car the following monday and brake feel was much improved but i felt the braking distance was still long.. but a lot better than before. I figured it was the new pads and ill let it break in a bit more.

the following weekend, my family took a drive to the pocono's. i figured by then this brake pad would be broken in by then.

Fast forward to new years, I was looking around the car and noticed the rear brake only had contact to the top half of the rotor. I immediately called the service dept and arranged for an appointment with loaner on 1/7 for a rework.

So its already been a week and the car is still there. They replaced the rotor and hopefully the pad but the tech felt it still wasnt right. so upon more checking, it appears they notice the caliper bracket was bent or something that it needs to be replaced. My SA told me that they have one but they its the only one in the continent and will need to order direct from Germany, which will take about two weeks...

So questions/advise:
-I currently have an x3 as a loaner. She mentioned an M but they dont offer that as a loaner. I called her today if I can get moved up to an X5, knowing that I will have a loaner for long term.
-Should I demand for more than a better loaner than an x3? I told her about my monthly car note payment this month and Im not even using my car?
-Should I be concern of other things given that my car will be at the service area for that long?
-lastly, the brake material are probably made of some of the strongest material to be able to withstand flex. The tech must of screwed up big time to cause the caliper bracket to break like that? Is that the right assumption? going back to my worries of what else could they have screwed up?

Thanks for reading my long rant. This is the first that happened to me and not sure what to do.

I see you're from NYC, what dealer do you use?

I go to Rallye and my SA was able to switch loaners for me when I received a 3 series once. I think it depends on your relationship with your SA and what's available.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2016, 01:53 PM   #3
M5Beast_NYC
Major
Rep

I prefer not to disclose my dealership yet. they have been pretty good to me on getting this issue resolve. Im just wondering if i am missing anything out? unfortunately, the status is the same and still looking at two weeks out.

My SA is great. She is moving me up to an X5. Im picking up my replacement loaner later.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2016, 02:21 PM   #4
snj1013
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 528i

I think if you have an X5 for a loaner, you should be satisfied and not bitch. What F10 model do you have anyway. Just for the sake of discussion, my dealer in Houston typically loans out vehicle a level down from what you bring in (eg, have a 5 series in for service, get a 3 series loaner; have a 7 series in for service, get a 5 series).
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2016, 02:53 PM   #5
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535i 6sp. DHP/RWD

Quote:
I requested to get my rotors replaced but it was denied. When I picked up the car that afternoon, I complained that my brakes were spongy and i almost rear ended a cop cuz I did not anticipate for my brakes to take that long to slow the car down. Obviously they didnt test drive it before returning the car to me.
If you were to pay, 9/10 times they'll insist rotors need to be changed as well, funny how they changed their tune slightly here

They messed up and yeah, it's a pain to go back and forth, but seems they are doing everything right to correct their mistake. Enjoy the loaner and hope for the best this time around, as long as your loaner has good winter tires, why bother getting different one, it's a short term thing only anyway.

Good luck getting it fixed properly.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2016, 03:21 PM   #6
M5Beast_NYC
Major
Rep

Thanks. Not so much as bitching... they have treated me very well and my SA has been pretty good to me. I suppose Im trying to see if I should get compensated for my car being at the shop this long and im paying for my car note?

also, worried something might happen to my car being its in the shop for that long and they might not even touch it until the parts get there.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2016, 03:51 PM   #7
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Thanks. Not so much as bitching... they have treated me very well and my SA has been pretty good to me. I suppose Im trying to see if I should get compensated for my car being at the shop this long and im paying for my car note?.
Nah... you win some, you loose some, they are treating you OK, especially if you're in X5 now (or soon to be), it's very comparable to what you're paying for.

As for worrying about your car just being there, you know, common sense advice, but I'd say, only worry about things you can control, and enjoy getting to experience not one, but two different kind of vehicles that you otherwise wouldn't (X3/X5).

"Glass half full" is what I'm trying to say I guess
Appreciate 1
      01-14-2016, 03:57 PM   #8
drewxnyc
Private
Rep
Drives: X5

X3 not good enough man? lol jk
anyway hope everything turns ok, but yea not sure if they will be compensating you anything since they are hopefully covering all the repairs and giving you a pretty good loaner. But overall it still is an inconvenience to you. Since you have a good relationship with your SA, maybe see what she says about this situation.
Appreciate 1
      01-14-2016, 04:39 PM   #9
VB5ER
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Space Grey 2011 535i

I agree with "these guys" they are doing about all they can for you. I would suggest a few things though. When ever turning your car over for any work, do a walk around with the SA and note any damage. Also take pics of front/rear/sides/all rims in case they do any damage while in their care. I always do this and the guy always says we won't damage the car. "Really" is always my response. Also pic of the mileage, keeps em from joy riding and you will also be able to tell if they did a road test. I am paranoid about curb rash on my rims and tell them no parallel parking and I have pics.
If your car is going to be there a couple weeks stop by and tell the SA you are going to take pics and note it on the paperwork.
Hopefully all will go well with the fix, enjoy the loaner.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2016, 04:48 PM   #10
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW Transporter Sportline

Quote:
Originally Posted by VB5ER View Post
I agree with "these guys" they are doing about all they can for you. I would suggest a few things though. When ever turning your car over for any work, do a walk around with the SA and note any damage. Also take pics of front/rear/sides/all rims in case they do any damage while in their care. I always do this and the guy always says we won't damage the car. "Really" is always my response. Also pic of the mileage, keeps em from joy riding and you will also be able to tell if they did a road test. I am paranoid about curb rash on my rims and tell them no parallel parking and I have pics.
If your car is going to be there a couple weeks stop by and tell the SA you are going to take pics and note it on the paperwork.
+1

I tend to take a video after I park it in the dealership car park, I get a shot of the dealership and then walk around the car. I get shots of the whole car, wheels, interior and mileage
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2016, 04:55 PM   #11
VB5ER
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beast View Post
+1

I tend to take a video after I park it in the dealership car park, I get a shot of the dealership and then walk around the car. I get shots of the whole car, wheels, interior and mileage
Aaaaannndddd... That's what I'm talking about. You have to protect yourself when possible. What kid driving your car into the garage wants to tell his boss he curbed it or backed up into something. Always check out the front bumper and seems around it too. If they run it aground and back up it'll pull the bumper forward and up.

Yes, this is how my mind works when I hand someone my keys.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2016, 05:26 PM   #12
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj1013 View Post
I think if you have an X5 for a loaner, you should be satisfied and not bitch. What F10 model do you have anyway. Just for the sake of discussion, my dealer in Houston typically loans out vehicle a level down from what you bring in (eg, have a 5 series in for service, get a 3 series loaner; have a 7 series in for service, get a 5 series).
My dealer gives like for like... As long as I ask and a 5 is available.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2016, 09:10 AM   #13
M5Beast_NYC
Major
Rep

Quote:
My dealership actually do a walkthrough and take a 360 deg picture of the car before i had the car off to them. I fell this dealership is pretty modern and up to date with the latest process and handling a customers car.

Im worried about them handling my car initially as my car is lowered with H&R spring so I brought some 4x2 wood to help them raise it up for the lift... i think they got this handled as well.

as for joy riding, that would be a bit hard to tell. i know my mileage will go up cuz they are working on the brakes and they will most likely test drive it around to make sure its 110%.

Thanks for everyone's response. doesnt seem like i should feel im getting a raw end of the stick here.

Appreciate 0
      01-15-2016, 09:11 AM   #14
M5Beast_NYC
Major
Rep

BTW: I did end up getting a brand new X5 with 3k miles on. My kids love all the fancy ambient light and the Alpine white paint. They even ask me if they can keep this car. LOL.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2016, 09:20 AM   #15
VB5ER
Second Lieutenant
Rep

That is an awesome dealership with the walk around and photos. X5, nice. If you don't worry about your car then you own the wrong car.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2016, 12:09 PM   #16
ndinh
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 640i GC, X5

Quote:
Aaaaannndddd... That's what I'm talking about. You have to protect yourself when possible. What kid driving your car into the garage wants to tell his boss he curbed it or backed up into something. Always check out the front bumper and seems around it too. If they run it aground and back up it'll pull the bumper forward and up.

Yes, this is how my mind works when I hand someone my keys.
Good advice. Of the handful of times, I've taken my car in for service, I've seen 2 occasions when people have complained to the valet that their car has been scratched. Also, I'm sure you guys have noticed cars being driven through fast food drive-thru's and lunch pick-ups. Anyways, I'm always in such a hurry to drop my car off that I never bother checking it before and after. BTW, had a X3 loaner last week and couldn't wait to hand it back. It felt like driving a Rav4.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2016, 12:24 PM   #17
VB5ER
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndinh View Post
Good advice. Of the handful of times, I've taken my car in for service, I've seen 2 occasions when people have complained to the valet that their car has been scratched. Also, I'm sure you guys have noticed cars being driven through fast food drive-thru's and lunch pick-ups. Anyways, I'm always in such a hurry to drop my car off that I never bother checking it before and after. BTW, had a X3 loaner last week and couldn't wait to hand it back. It felt like driving a Rav4.
I am sure dealership incidents are a small percentage considering the pure number of cars going in and out but things do happen to cars while in their care. We due have a certain amount of responsibility as the car owner, buyer beware and all that.
I got passed on the interstate by a Rav4 yesterday with my cruise control set on 82. It was a little scary watching it bounce down the road at about 90.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2016, 01:08 PM   #18
VB5ER
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Dealership Rant

Quote:
I am sure dealership incidents are a small percentage considering the pure number of cars going in and out but things do happen to cars while in their care. We due have a certain amount of responsibility as the car owner, buyer beware and all that.
I got passed on the interstate by a Rav4 yesterday with my cruise control set on 82. It was a little scary watching it bounce down the road at about 90.
Had to quote myself on dealership incidents. Put GFs 328 in the dealership service for brake fluid and filter change under warranty. Her car is out of warranty end of Feb. Took full 360 pics, rims and mileage. Did a full walk around with the guy who took the keys at my request. Had him specifically note no curb rash on any of her tires.
Picked up the car today, curb rash driver front rim. I had to find this myself since the SA didn't get out from behind his work station and the guy who drove it up just handed me the keys and said here you go.
SA told me that they don't have any curbs in the parking lot so I had to point out the curb running around the entire building where a guy just parallel parked a 7series they just took in for service. Also showed him the before pic of the rim they curbed.
He said they will fix it and wanted to schedule another drop but I refused to take the car. Supposedly they are going to fix it this afternoon but I am not really expecting it to be ready till Friday.
My biggest concern was that if I weren't there for the drop and pick up my GF would now be driving around with a jacked up rim. Also nobody really seemed to give a shit about messing up somebody's car. I was the A-hole because I was making an issue of it. Totally desensitized to the customer.
Guess it could have been worse though. No picks on my side would have been an issue on a car 4 years old.
Ok, blood pressure back to normal. Will medicate with Budweiser shortly.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-20-2016, 07:18 PM   #19
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I was the A-hole because I was making an issue of it. Totally desensitized to the customer.
Guess it could have been worse though. No picks on my side would have been an issue on a car 4 years old.
Ok, blood pressure back to normal. Will medicate with Budweiser shortly.
And this one is really upsetting for me personally. Same as you this gets my blood pressure up. These days customer is an A-hole or "difficult" for asking for a job to be completed properly. "Pease address my issues and don't damage anything in the process" seems to be too much to expect at most dealerships these days. In my experience, this is not BMW specific issue. I'm sure it's possible, but it's becoming increasingly difficult to find the dealership that doesn't simply feel entitled to your money, takes pride in service provided, or take any kind of responsibility for other people's property.
Appreciate 0